Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky 150 Europe?

Default Kentucky 150 Europe?

Hi there,

After reading tons of reviews and comparisons I’d like to buy a Kentucky 150 mandolin for my husband. He’s a guitarist and has wanted one for years. The issue is I live in Greece and can’t seem to find one in stock anywhere in Europe. Obviously it would need a set up too so I’m looking for somewhere that might be able to include that. I would buy from the states but the import duty would be ridiculous. Any ideas where might have one this side of the Atlantic?

Cheers!

Default Re: Kentucky 150 Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireM View Post
    Hi there,

After reading tons of reviews and comparisons I’d like to buy a Kentucky 150 mandolin for my husband. He’s a guitarist and has wanted one for years. The issue is I live in Greece !
    Many luthiers make mandolins in Greece - have you considered getting a locally made instrument?

Before Brexit messes up commerce between UK and EU, you might try Gremlin Music in England, which lists Kentucky mandolins in their inventory.

Kentucky is a division of Saga Musical Instruments, but the Saga dealer locator list doesn't seem to function to turn up European dealers. Can't believe someone on the continent isn't dealing Saga products, but I can't get the info by Googling.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Personally I would go for an Eastman 305. I would then try TFOA in Holland. Really nice people to deal with and very helpful. They carry Eastmans pretty much. I think they sell quite a few.

The added advantage is that you can pay in Euros. I have decided to buy stuff here in Europe because it is easier with foreign exchange and shipping.
    Nic Gellie

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I do not recall the name of the store, but a music store across the street from the University book store in Amsterdam had a rather large inventory of Eastman's and a few Kentucky's.
    The Eastman 305 is in the same ballpark, though a little different but not inferior to the Kentucky 150. Personally, I prefer the Eastman 305 to the Kentucky 150.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Personally I would go for an Eastman 305. I would then try TFOA in Holland. Really nice people to deal with and very helpful. They carry Eastmans pretty much. I think they sell quite a few.

The added advantage is that you can pay in Euros. I have decided to buy stuff here in Europe because it is easier with foreign exchange and shipping.
    Nick
    Do you know if we are talking about the same music store? I do not recall the name of it.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Dec-16-2020 at 6:04pm.
    Kentucky KM-950

Hi Claire,

although Kentucky mandolins are often reckoned to be as good quality and value as Eastmans, for some reason you see very few of them in EU and UK, whereas there are plenty of Eastmans.

the Eastman equivalent to the KM150 would be the MD305 I think , and there are plenty on sale, especially in Germany and Netherlands.

e.g
    https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gr/e...-mandolin.html
    TFOA (mentioned above) - https://www.tfoa.eu/en/eastman-md305...mandoline.html
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/29353011-...style-mandolin
    Bren

10. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Hi Claire,
    Here's a link to the Kentuckys TFOA is currently carrying. You can simply change the brand on the left to see what's available from Eastman, others, or all (you probably know that already

12. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

The shop Pittsburg Bill means is named Hampe, there's a new owner, not too many mandolins at the moment BUT they have a really nice used Furch F-style for sale, I've played it, it's got a lot of potential:

https://www.prinzguitars.nl/furch-mf22cm-madoline.html

But if you want to go for the Kentucky 150 try Boetzkes, also a good and professional shop, they have them in stock:

https://www.hboetzkes.com/producten/...ins/kentucky-1
    Last edited by FPhil; Dec-17-2020 at 1:39pm.

14. The following members say thank you to FPhil for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

About four years ago I bought a used Weber from a shop next to the main square off the Hauptstrasse in Heidelberg. The shop is primarily a guitar store but often has a couple of mandolins in on consignment. The owner told me he rarely gets Webers but frequently gets Eastmans.
    Sorry, but again I do not know the name of the store. I should know the name as my niece lives only a few 100 meters from the shop and I have been in the shop many times. Perhaps someone from Heidelberg will chime in with a name.
    Kentucky KM-950

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Nick
    Do you know if we are talking about the same music store? I do not recall the name of it.
    Hi Bill,

The one I am referring to is situated in the heart of northern Holland in a town called Dedemsvaart.

Their address and contact details are as follows:

The Fellowship of Acoustics BV (TFOA)
    Moerheimstraat 144
    7701 CJ Dedemsvaart
    Netherlands
    Contact

T. +31 (0) 523-232205

E. info@tfoa.eu

I hope that helps Claire too. I cannot recommend highly enough. Great staff, highly knowledgeable and will ship anywhere in Europe for a reasonable price.
    Nic Gellie

17. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Claire I just received a MD505 from TFOA today. The mandolin and its case came in a well packed box. Inside the case was the Eastman warranty card and another card from TFOA with a maintenance card telling the owner how to look after the instrument over time.

I sent off a thank you email to TFOA saying how grateful I was for them sending a beautiful mandolin which was set up perfectly. I am passing this on as there is nothing better than getting great service and being looked after. For my part it is wonderful that a music shop has a warm open relationship with their clients. it leaves one with a warm feeling. That is great as a xmas present as well.

Let us know how you went either way.
    Nic Gellie

I have but assumed they would be set up for more Greek traditional music rather than American style/ U.K. folk etc
    Thinking I might go to a few shops anyway to see what the luthiers here suggest. No doubt there are great craftsmen. Cheers

They advised March so may wait until then if I don’t find anything in the meantime. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Many luthiers make mandolins in Greece - have you considered getting a locally made instrument?
    I have but assumed they would be set up for more Greek traditional music rather than American style/ U.K. folk etc
    Thinking I might go to a few shops anyway to see what the luthiers here suggest. No doubt there are great craftsmen. Cheers

22. The following members say thank you to ClaireM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Before Brexit messes up commerce between UK and EU, you might try Gremlin Music in England, which lists Kentucky mandolins in their inventory.

Kentucky is a division of Saga Musical Instruments, but the Saga dealer locator list doesn't seem to function to turn up European dealers. Can't believe someone on the continent isn't dealing Saga products, but I can't get the info by Googling.
    They advised March so may wait until then if I don’t find anything in the meantime. Cheers

24. The following members say thank you to ClaireM for this post:

Ok great thanks, I’ll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Hi Claire,

although Kentucky mandolins are often reckoned to be as good quality and value as Eastmans, for some reason you see very few of them in EU and UK, whereas there are plenty of Eastmans.

the Eastman equivalent to the KM150 would be the MD305 I think , and there are plenty on sale, especially in Germany and Netherlands.

e.g
    https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gr/e...-mandolin.html
    TFOA (mentioned above) - https://www.tfoa.eu/en/eastman-md305...mandoline.html
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/29353011-...style-mandolin
    Perfect, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by FPhil View Post
    The shop Pittsburg Bill means is named Hampe, there's a new owner, not too many mandolins at the moment BUT they have a really nice used Furch F-style for sale, I've played it, it's got a lot of potential:

https://www.prinzguitars.nl/furch-mf22cm-madoline.html

But if you want to go for the Kentucky 150 try Boetzkes, also a good and professional shop, they have them in stock:

https://www.hboetzkes.com/producten/...ins/kentucky-1
    Great, I’ll be checking these out. Cheers

Claire I just received a MD505 from TFOA today. The mandolin and its case came in a well packed box. Inside the case was the Eastman warranty card and another card from TFOA with a maintenance card telling the owner how to look after the instrument over time.

I sent off a thank you email to TFOA saying how grateful I was for them sending a beautiful mandolin which was set up perfectly. I am passing this on as there is nothing better than getting great service and being looked after. For my part it is wonderful that a music shop has a warm open relationship with their clients. it leaves one with a warm feeling. That is great as a xmas present as well.

Let us know how you went either way.
    Sounds great. Did they set it up for you too? I’ll check them out aswell. Cheers

Well that was unexpected! Thanks for all the helpful replies. Once I figured out how to reply to each message, not on forums much! I can see there is a great community here. I will check out all the suggestions ASAP. All the best!

30. The following members say thank you to ClaireM for this post:

Well, there is a bit of variety in the Greek-made mandolins, but they wouldn't be a first choice for Bluegrass, that's certain.

Many of them would sound quite good for other folk styles of music, though. Best of luck in the search.

I guess we're assuming that costs from UK to Greece will be higher after Brexit, but if not, I just bought an Eastman 815 w/ K&K pickup from Eagle music of Huddersfield, England.

They have a good selection of mandolins, mostly Eastman, and it seems like all the staff play and like folk/trad/bluegrass and really know their stuff.

https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/
    Bren

Sounds great. Did they set it up for you too? I’ll check them out aswell. Cheers
    Yes Claire

That is part of their service too. You get a special maintenance card certifying the work done. Laura at TFOA is very helpful with inquiries. They will even do a video for you if you ask them. I did and it was worth it. Highly professional mob.
    Nic Gellie