Thread: Pick Samplers Still Circulating?

Default Pick Samplers Still Circulating?

There used to be 2 different pick samplers circulating. I haven't seen anything about them in months. Are they still active? If so, I'd like to get on the list or know who to contact to get my name on the list.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Pick Samplers Still Circulating?

You’ll have to research this and pursue it in that thread. It was not anything officially sponsored by the cafe, just something that grew from that thread. I got in on passing the sampler around and it was a great opportunity to try all those picks.

it seems the thread has sort of died. Try contacting the last known sampler holders. If it can’t be revived, anyone could maybe start a new sampler. It’s all voluntary.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I have good memories of my time with the pick sampler about 5 years ago now. I was able to try a BC for the first time and many other "nicer" picks.

I also remember having to kind of lead things for a while and kept a list going of the order people signed up. After my turn was done I left it up to the next people to keep things in order. You may have to read back all the names waiting since it was last received and get a new list going.

The short answer is 'No'. They are not still circulating and haven't been since late 2019.

The slightly longer answer is more positive. Both samplers are intact, in hand, and will be relaunched into the wilds of Mando-dom in early 2021.

It had gotten to the point where there would be one person on the list at a time despite me posting solicitations in the main thread so I would send a sampler out and it would be returned back to me a few weeks later since there was no where else for it to go. I decided a break was needed to allow renewed interest to naturally spawn and then 2020 happened, so they've both quietly sat unopened waiting for the right time to reappear in the hands of curious pickers. That time is nigh.

I need to inventory both samplers to see if some cross-pollination is possible and to consider if two samplers is still our best option. It's difficult to manage and track both, especially when specific requests are made for one or the other and often times both.

The process is the same as the last time you checked out the picks after you got your MT2 in 2018 by posting a request in the main thread, which you've already done. I know there are a couple of other folk's requests posted over the last year so when I restart the list I'll check to see if they are still interested plus hopefully be able to add others. It's more fun when there's a lot of building anticipation from those waiting and watching as the picks crisscross the world.

Look for more updates soon.

C. ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

That's great news! I'm glad they're intact and will re-launch soon. I would imagine there are a few new people and a number of "old" forum users who would like to try them out again. Please add my name to the list.

Be assured your work on the samplers is a valuable effort. I (and I am sure many others) are sincerely appreciative of your work over the years making sure we had an opportunity to try out all those picks.

Chris, great to hear from you and to know that you are still invested in "tending the herd" so to speak.

Just a suggestion: When you get ready to release these back into the wild, maybe start a new thread and let the old one die out? (With a link to original thread in the initial post, of course). A new thread may get interest going strong again.

- YouTube Stuff

Great memories sifting through that old thread ... I requested the sampler on page 4 and received it on page 7, February of 2016. I had just taken up mandolin in earnest a few months earlier. I documented my experience with the sampler in this post:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1468387

Watching the video reminded me of how much impact the pick sampler had on my life. As a result, I re-trained my right hand to use a new pick grip and to use large triangles - which I now use exclusively - after fifty years of playing guitar with floppy, tear-drop, medium nylon picks. May not sound like much, but for me, personally, it was a huge shift in a lifetime of playing music.

Viva la pick sampler!

- YouTube Stuff

As a newbie I’m super excited for this to start up again!