Thread: Turning an acoustic into a (semi) solid body electric?

Default Turning an acoustic into a (semi) solid body electric?

I've got one of these https://www.brunswickguitars.com/tra...k-natural.htmlwhich plays OK despite a somewhat sunken top and a bit of a bend in the neck. I am considering gluing a centre block like an archtop electric guitar, and using very light strings, maybe 4-string. Has anyone tried this? Its a nothing-to-lose situation so worst case is that I waste a bit of time and hardwood.

Default Re: Turning an acoustic into a (semi) solid body electric?

I'm pretty sure nobody would object if you did that to one of them that was new. When an instrument like this has issues you should simply proceed and enjoy the experience.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes, that's what I thought. Will see what I can do just by reshaping the bridge a bit, and lighter strings. it sounds better than it should, given its price range, but the top is so thin, it will probably continue to sink. The tuners are not bad! Or I could use the neck for something else. Or use it to start a fire.

I see these projects as lessons before I attempt to work on anything more valuable some day.

My own daydream on the question: Violins have sound posts. I wonder what installing one in a mandolin would do for the sound.

I'm pretty sure it would change the sound. But if I were to use a magnetic pickup, maybe that sound would be acceptable. I've made the bridge fit the top better. I'll do a Rob Meldrum style setup (thanks again Rob) and see how it goes.

I just put a block of wood under the top of a Dean mandolin. It has a magnetic pickup and a piezo. The routing for the magnetic pickup went almost completely thru the one brace in the center of the top, and what little that was left broke under the string tension. The owner just wanted to use it plugged in, but it is still ok to use acoustically. I don't know how it sounded before, I imagine not great, and now it has a thin sound, but it is usable as an acoustic and elect. instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    My own daydream on the question: Violins have sound posts. I wonder what installing one in a mandolin would do for the sound.
    It been discussed a few dozen times. Take a walk through these threads. I'm sure there are more.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Plan B. The neck is really the only part that's serviceable so...
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=9A705...%21136&o=OneUp