Thread: Avoid marking the top of your mandolin

Smile Avoid marking the top of your mandolin

This is just a little tip for those like myself who do not use pick guards. I find that as I always use my pinkie as an anchor point, it does of course rest and move on the top of my mandolin (and guitar) and the nail can scratch the top.

I thought of putting something on the end of my pinkie and I have found that there is on the market these small finger covers for kids (and adults) who play games on their phones or ipads. They seem to be called Finger Gaming Gloves.

I bought a couple on Ebay and they arrived today. Totally perfect. They are slightly elasticated, ideal size and work just great. Next thing was my thought of not losing them so I just popped them into the recess on the body scroll of my F style mandolins. One in my Gibson F4 and one in my Big Mon F5.

Simples !

2. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Default Re: Avoid marking the top of your mandolin

Friction over time will wear through the finish. It may avoid nail damage, but you'd be surprised how fast anything continuously rubbing on a thin finish will wear right through it!

4. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

I think Eric is right about the friction.
    Also, the material they're made if could potentially react with your finish, causing a different kind of blemish. If it's got plasticizers in it, they can do nasty things. Blisters, soft gummy spots, etc. You might try to find the MSDS for the material it's made of.

Still, it's a cool idea. I'll be interested to hear how it works over the long run.

6. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

Smile Re: Avoid marking the top of your mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	190715

Having worn through some of the finish, I just wanted something to prevent any further (light finger drag) wear, but also to reduce drag noise. I don't anchor, and the pick guard is obtrusive. Both smooth and quiet, this is a cut down clear self-adhesive tear drop pick guard for guitar. Fugly but unctional!

I prefer wrist-rest (on strings behind the bridge) to pinky-plant on mandolin. On guitars pinky-plant is my only option, so pick-guard pretty much required. My wrist comes up and down as needed, all automatic now.

A sample wrist-rest thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a.../t-137760.html

I once wore gloves to protect another instrument, slowed the wear but ultimately failed as others pointed out. So I get the appeal.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Can’t beat a couple of inches of gaffer tape!!!

It will certainly slow this down (my KM-950).

Name:	20170416_195321.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	190721

I may be mistaken but I believe so-called "pick guards" were actually called "finger rests" by Gibson in the old days. So the intent was to have something to "plant" fingers on. I'd recommend just putting a guard on, I don't think it's that much to get used to. One advantage to technique that I enjoy is it controls the depth of the pick. If the guard sits at the same level as the fretboard it prevents the pick from diving too deep in to the strings--this has really helped me improve my tremolo.

Cheers,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

12. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post:

Heartbreaking. Last overly enthusiastic upstroke to end a song and put this in my otherwise unmarked 25 A4. Was hoping there was a way to buff out or rub back to normal. Well, you have to play em. I guess just chill on the big endings.

Name:	Mando scratch.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	190724

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    Heartbreaking. Last overly enthusiastic upstroke to end a song and put this in my otherwise unmarked 25 A4. Was hoping there was a way to buff out or rub back to normal. Well, you have to play em. I guess just chill on the big endings.
    #mutuallyexclusivefinishes

Name:	C3E1B7B6-8E9B-4CB3-970B-6ABE57ADD253.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	190725
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    I may be mistaken but I believe so-called "pick guards" were actually called "finger rests" by Gibson in the old days. So the intent was to have something to "plant" fingers on.
    The idea of pickguards was twofold:

to protect the soundboard

to have a level surface for the picking hand to very lightly touch ( more like brush against) - not plant - for spacing; as such a properly fitted pickguard on archtop guitar and mandolin would be parallel to the plane of the strings.

Save planting for 5 string banjo.

The fact that a great number of people remove pick guards says it all to me. If you don't like them then take them off as I have done with all my mandolins for 50 years. The material of these gaming finger gloves looks like soft stretched polyester or cotton. All I am saying is that it will help. I've no doubt that in the long term it may wear out or leave some mark on the top but it will not be as rough as a finger nail or even a finger which has had the nail cut right back.

I had a friend who used to anchor his hand behind the bridge but it always looked awkward to me and as a guitarist I naturally use my pinkie as many others do so maybe this is just for them.

In over 50 years of playing mandolin and guitar, I’ve never felt the need to anchor anything on the top of an instrument. On those instruments I have with elevated pickguards, I do as David says - I lightly brush against it simply to keep my picking hand in the correct position. On those instruments I have which don’t, I don’t.

Personally, I think that anything on my picking hand fingers would be a hindrance and a far more logical solution is a pickguard. Quite why pickguards get such bad press in certain circles baffles me. I can take ‘em or leave ‘em but given the choice, I’d rather take ‘em.

19. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post

Name:	Mando scratch.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	190724
    Congratulations, mmuller! You created a memory! I wager you'll remember what song that was when you recount the story to the bearns...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    The fact that a great number of people remove pick guards says it all to me. If you don't like them then take them off as I have done with all my mandolins for 50 years.
    I respect you opinion, even if we come from varying POV's.

Many great players do as you do.

Of course there are many types of mandolins without a removable pickguard.

I've played F hole jazz archtops for years. The idea of the reason for and use of pickguard is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    In over 50 years of playing mandolin and guitar, I’ve never felt the need to anchor anything on the top of an instrument. On those instruments I have with elevated pickguards, I do as David says - I lightly brush against it simply to keep my picking hand in the correct position. On those instruments I have which don’t, I don’t.
    Obviously I tend to share your POV.

I understand that there are many different opinions about mandolin technique, and coming from a version of Italian style, I have my own perspectives and have had to understand and accept that there are other "correct" ways to play - and build - mandolins.

22. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I understand being concerned about damaging the appearance and perhaps the "health" of the top, and there is always the "resale value" consideration, I agree as above have someone install a pickguard, but by all means - play the thing, don't hold back to preserve the eye candy!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I've always loved when instruments have some play wear on them. The just look better and likely have had some good playing on them. I hate pick guards and often plant a pinky (and sometimes pinky / ring finger) on the top - so my mandolins all have that type of mark. Aside from that though, the neck also gets some wear from my thumb moving around. You can clearly see where I play the most just looking at my mandos haha.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
    Congratulations, mmuller! You created a memory! I wager you'll remember what song that was when you recount the story to the bearns...
    Here, at 27:09. I replay this in my mind in slow motion over and over. Darn..... https://www.facebook.com/16173846054...54980305547617

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post

Personally, I think that anything on my picking hand fingers would be a hindrance and a far more logical solution is a pickguard. Quite why pickguards get such bad press in certain circles baffles me. I can take ‘em or leave ‘em but given the choice, I’d rather take ‘em.
    Yes, and another advantage I see to having a finger rest/pick guard is I'm more willing to let other people play my mandolin when they ask to. I'm not that interested in having someone other than me put marks in the top of my mandolin.
    Member since 2003!

27. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post:

Blog Entries

I do not mind honest wear. I bought an old delicate bowlback years ago. I was drawn to it in part because it had these wonderful light scratches across the face indicating that someone was doing some aggressive chording. And some finger planting wear on the other side, from the owner (same owner?) was picking melody. This mandolin had a life.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...chmentid=50739

I don't care for damage or defacing, or indications of improper care, but honest wear due to someone's enthusiasm for the instrument - I really kind of love it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Why not just break the "planting" habit? You'll get a much better pick stroke by being able to fully use your wrist.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I do not mind honest wear.....
    I don't care for damage or defacing, or indications of improper care, but honest wear due to someone's enthusiasm for the instrument - I really kind of love it.

I agree. I've never gone out of my way to preserve an instrument. I play the heck out of everything I own because it's MINE. It's not about the looks.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

32. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

I've used an electrostatic pick guard like Taylor makes for guitars. They take the abuse and can be removed. and I have removed them. They are a clear plastic and I cut them to cover the area. Probably not a good idea on varnish finish but work on a nitro finish.

Smile Re: Avoid marking the top of your mandolin

It's not just the possible wear on the instrument. I don't PLANT my pinkie on the top as. It obviously moves with the movement of my hand but still acts as some sort of anchor point. It is just my way of playing but I know lots of people do this. What I should have said at the start is that it FEELS MUCH BETTER than my finger moving on the wood. The skin, continuing to rub against lacquered,varnished or even bare rough wood surfaces sometimes creates a resistance.That's why some people have the varnish or laquer removed from the neck. For example my very old F4 was well worn on the treble side of the soundhole so my pinkie was rubbing against bare wood. On my newer Big Mon my finger was finding some resistance against the laquered top. That doesn't happen now on either instrument.

As said at the start, this thread was for 'PEOPLE LIKE ME who don't use pickguards and it was them I was trying to help.

35. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post: