Thread: MidMo at Shopgoodwill

Default MidMo at Shopgoodwill

I was surprised to see a Mid-mo on the Shopgoodwill.com site. Looks well played in. Just thought someone might be interested. Sorry I couldn’t copy it the link

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: MidMo at Shopgoodwill

Shhhhh! Dont tell everyone cause I have a bid on there.

Sorry Zach
    I would bid myself but I get to unwrap my Calhoun in just a few days.
    Good luck on your bidding

Oh, it's all good! My nephew has shown interest in learning and I hope to win this auction to gift it to him... or gift him my current backup if this one requires work.

Hoping for a bit of luck

Wow! That thing’s been rode hard! Half the finish on the top’s been picked off and what the heck is going on with those Chinese characters taped to the back? If I bought that thing (I’m not, don’t worry) I would have to do a strip and refinish.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Wow! That thing’s been rode hard! Half the finish on the top’s been picked off and what the heck is going on with those Chinese characters taped to the back? If I bought that thing (I’m not, don’t worry) I would have to do a strip and refinish.
    Oh, not worried at all. I'm actually out bid. I only had $100 to play with, my wife made it clear .

I figured it was going to be a bit of work. Someone else is going to be pretty lucky!

Funny, I messaged the seller to ask what was under that paper and they said they couldn’t look under it? Huh? They could have at least lifted the tape which didn’t belong on it. Could be a small crack or a big hole. It went for $177 so that is not too bad unless it needs a neck reset or a new back. SGW is usually a no refund and no return deal with little recourse. BTW I didn’t bid on it either.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The front edge of that thing on the treble side looked a bit off-kilter as well, like maybe is was unglued from the side, so even if the back was ok it could still be a bit of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    The front edge of that thing on the treble side looked a bit off-kilter as well, like maybe is was unglued from the side, so even if the back was ok it could still be a bit of work.
    I noticed that as well as the possibility of some damage to the back. I only bid up to $100 (wife said I couldn't do more ), which would have been a steal! I hope whomever won doesn't have to do too much, but even at $177 with a little work I believe they got a deal.

I'll confess -- I'm the lucky (?) winner who caught the bullet that Zach dodged. I'm a sucker for a sad case, and a big Mike Dulak fan, so I got in after Zach dropped out (I won't knowingly compete with another Cafe member). I studied the photos -- noted the pickwear and off-kilter-ness -- and checked with a friend who reads Japanese to make sure those characters didn't spell "this instrument is cursed" (they actually say "thank you"). I received the mandolin today, and was initially dismayed to find that -- in addition to the deficiencies discussed in this thread -- the top has sunk Titanically. Like 9/64". But -- here's the good news -- the poor thing still plays remarkably well and actually sounds great, even with the crusty old strings. A testimonial to the plucky Mid-Mo spirit! It's in surprisingly good shape otherwise. Evidence of amateur repair attempts suggests that the damage occurred some time ago, so I reckon it's been played in this condition for a while.

TLDR: Maybe not a "deal," but I'm not disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by xntric View Post
    I'll confess -- I'm the lucky (?) winner who caught the bullet that Zach dodged. I'm a sucker for a sad case, and a big Mike Dulak fan, so I got in after Zach dropped out (I won't knowingly compete with another Cafe member). I studied the photos -- noted the pickwear and off-kilter-ness -- and checked with a friend who reads Japanese to make sure those characters didn't spell "this instrument is cursed" (they actually say "thank you"). I received the mandolin today, and was initially dismayed to find that -- in addition to the deficiencies discussed in this thread -- the top has sunk Titanically. Like 9/64". But -- here's the good news -- the poor thing still plays remarkably well and actually sounds great, even with the crusty old strings. A testimonial to the plucky Mid-Mo spirit! It's in surprisingly good shape otherwise. Evidence of amateur repair attempts suggests that the damage occurred some time ago, so I reckon it's been played in this condition for a while.

TLDR: Maybe not a "deal," but I'm not disappointed...
    Oh, right on! Sound like you got a great backup/beater

Happy picking!

12. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Xntric: I have been stuck on a few SGW purchases. Usually the sellers will not budge on reducing price even if it is a misrepresentation. I was curious about the paper taped on the back but they would not even peel it back. What was under that paper?

ibwoujd guess that the top sunk because of loose braces. I bet it is fixable with humidifying it and regluing the brace.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My Mid-Mo mandola had a sunken top/loose brace when I got it. The C string buzzed like crazy in the upper frets. I could've returned it, but I liked it too much. It was an easy and inexpensive repair for my favorite luthier. He said it probably took a bump. I am very happy with it now

16. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Jim and Sue, thanks for your thoughts! Jim, there was nothing under the paper except more paper -- no damage to the back at all (except stains from the Scotch tape). As Alfons noted, the treble side became detached from the top, and there were also two long cracks along the face in that area that didn't show up in the photos. Looks like it suffered more than a "bump," Sue -- I suspect it was sat upon rather vigorously! I'm so surprised that it still plays so well, and sounds good with no buzzes.

I'm working on humidifying it now, and will seek a socially distanced consultation with a local luthier. I do enjoy "rescuing" instruments from shopgoodwill, but I've also had some nasty surprises which I've chalked up to charity.

Peter

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Kurtze For This Useful Post:

Yeah I saw the pictures of yours when Zach was looking at it. Needs more work than mine did for sure. Very cool that you are rescuing it

20. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

And Sue, I saw the pics of yours on Jake's blog and was very envious!

22. The following members say thank you to Peter Kurtze for this post: