Thread: Substantial sale at Bernunzio's

Default Substantial sale at Bernunzio's

I may be type-cast as a shill for John's store, but he is having a fairly big end-of-year sale, with several Gibsons and Martins, the Gelas family of instruments -- mandolin through mando-bass -- that he's had for awhile, and a whole bunch of domras of different sizes. Also a case for a K-4 mandocello, which is a pretty rare bird.

Plus some nice bowl-backs with significant mark-downs. Nothing that I'm crazy to buy, but with the impact of the pandemic, I'm trying to support local dealerships when I can.

And speaking of local dealers, Dave Stutzman is selling a pretty cool Regal "harp mandolin" from the collection his late father Eldon started decades ago. Wishing both John and Dave the best, as we all try to survive the virus and get through to the other side.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Substantial sale at Bernunzio's

Allen, I was doing real good this year controlling my MAS while looking through the Classifieds and some of the Cafe sponsors' sites, then you had to go and post this. Now I'm trying to talk myself out of one of the Gibsons on their site. And the thought of trying to justify the purchase to my wife.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

4. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

Allen, I did my best to resist the 1890 Vinaccia at Bernunzio's ... but caved last week. And glad i did. Beautiful instrument in great shape. My luthier is re-glueing a couple soundboard braces and she's good to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26360-0001.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1,013.4 KB 
ID:	190734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26360-0003.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	506.2 KB 
ID:	190735

Over the years I've gotten some great mandolins from Bernunzio's. Wonderful shop. It's a good thing I no longer live in Rochester ...

Joe

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

And, of course, I stopped in at Bernunzio's this afternoon, to leave a rare Autoharp for repair, and look at this banjo that's tweaked my BAS (and, shameful confession, I'll probably trade in one of my Gibson mandos if I make a deal); there on the shop floor were at least six brand-new Eastman MD305's -- a "case" of them just arrived from China, I was told.

So, big days for mandolins at John B's store, no doubt; he's selling on-line or by appointment only in person.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

The one that I liked was the Bacon ff Professional #2, which has thankfully been sold.
    That squeaky clean Vega bowlback is tempting, but I probably wouldn't play it.
    And that's a lovely top-of-the-line Cole's Eclipse.

But . . . I took the pledge a while back. So far I've stuck to it. But when something really nice comes around on sale, resistance can be difficult.

The best cure I've found for that is to just wait, and somebody else will buy it, and relieve any temptation.
    If that doesn't work, find something, anything, that's not absolutely perfect about the instrument . . .
    If that doesn't work, y'all are on your own.

Blog Entries

Nobody is looking at that all steel mandolin? OMG are you kidding me? That thing looks so darn cool. The store is a several hour drive from me but if work goes well and no pending snow storm I may road trip out there tomorrow just to hear what that beastie sounds like.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Allen, I did my best to resist the 1890 Vinaccia at Bernunzio's ... but caved last week. And glad i did. Beautiful instrument in great shape. My luthier is re-glueing a couple soundboard braces and she's good to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26360-0001.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1,013.4 KB 
ID:	190734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26360-0003.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	506.2 KB 
ID:	190735

Over the years I've gotten some great mandolins from Bernunzio's. Wonderful shop. It's a good thing I no longer live in Rochester ...

Joe
    Joe, when you get the Vinaccia back all set up and ready to go, would you mind checking back in? Such a beautiful maple bowl on that mandolin.
    I play a Vinaccia from this era and it's always great to see / hear another one here in the US.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

11. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Nobody is looking at that all steel mandolin? OMG are you kidding me? That thing looks so darn cool. The store is a several hour drive from me but if work goes well and no pending snow storm I may road trip out there tomorrow just to hear what that beastie sounds like.
    If you get it, don't bring it to an outdoor jam session if the weather is very hot or cold . . .

I’d almost buy the K-4 case and use it as luggage!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Here it is, the view may be cool, but very impractical: D

Every year the Umberto Ceccherini drops $1000. And every year I stare at it. The glitz and fluting are pretty spectacular. I've always wondered how it sounds and why it is still for sale!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Thank you Allen!

I just purchased that incredibly rare K-4 case for a steal and now I'm excited for a new build project for 2021! A red spruce & Brazilian rosewood K-4.....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I believe that is a style 2. If you are looking for a good sounding vintage American bowlback I can recommend it. String it up with Dogal Calace RW92b Dolce strings. I have a slightly fancier style 3 in similar condition.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    I just purchased that incredibly rare K-4 case for a steal and now I'm excited for a new build project for 2021! A red spruce & Brazilian rosewood K-4.....
    Fantastic, James. We need more K-4 mandolins on this earth.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I believe that is a style 2. If you are looking for a good sounding vintage American bowlback I can recommend it. String it up with Dogal Calace RW92b Dolce strings. I have a slightly fancier style 3 in similar condition.
    Well, not only have I taken the pledge, but the virus is driving my business down to the basement. I made $75 this week, and only expect to make $45 next week. Not the right time to buy even an inexpensive instrument, even though I'll bet that one is a really nice American bowlback.

One of the 2 other temptations has been relieved-- the very nice white A-3 at a friendly price has sold. I'll have no trouble letting the other temptation alone, so I'm in good shape.

If anyone in my area needs any repair or set-up work, I have space on my bench.

22. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

[QUOTE=rcc56;1800713]The one that I liked was the Bacon ff Professional #2, which has thankfully been sold.
    And that's a lovely top-of-the-line Cole's Eclipse."

I was looking at the Vega bowlback too - that's a good price. Someone buy it so I'm no longer tempted, please?

No pressure to anyone here. I am in the same boat though really have no need for anything to add to my cluttered closet.”
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Most of us are.

There is a lot of temptation in that sale. I figured it was not unreasonable to think I may never see another original K4 case for sale in my lifetime without having to fork out enough $$$ to buy a sportscar because the instrument was inside & included with the sale.

Of all the vices I could have as an adult male, nerding out about some reasonably priced old mandolins is pretty benign....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Someone really should buy that Vega - those are classy bowlbacks!

27. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Someone really should buy that Vega - those are classy bowlbacks!
    And they sound great with the right strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

I want to thank whoever bought the pretty Vega bowlback for relieving me from any lingering temptation.
    I hope the new owner heartily enjoys it.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post: