Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedbugs And Mandolins

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Bedbugs And Mandolins

I've got a problem with bedbugs. No, not these Bedbugs:

I wouldn't mind that at all. Any more Lowell George would be just fine with me.

No, I mean the standard issue bedbugs. I don't know how they came into my life - no one ever does - but they are making it a living hell.

I have had my mandolin in its soft case with zipper and backstrap leaning up beside my head in my bed for months. Nice to have her right there for when inspiration strikes. It had been a while, so I thought I'd take a look. The accessories pocket looked clear. But inside the case ... right were the sharp string ends jutting out of the tuning pegs have torn up the inside somewhat --- right in the crease between the inside top and side ... there was the most gruesome nest, the whole range of their development.

I have just spent the better part of an hour going through all the charts and sheet music and miscellaneous papers in the main body of the case. Found only one immature bug, though a good amount of molted exoskeletons. Didn't find any in the accessory pocket, nor the cloth strap. I blew out the inside of the instrument with compressed air - nothing. I took the case out to the fire pit and consigned it and all the intruders to hell. She had served me well, this case. It had come with an instrument, so it hadn't really cost me anything. And since it had a brass plate that said "Fender," it had helped safeguard it from being stolen. But even though I would have liked to have tried drowning the bugs and saving the case, I just wanted it over.

And I thought it was. But once the fire dies down and I went back inside, I thought I'd double-check the inside. Blew it out again - nothing. Shook and pounded it a bunch - nothing. Blew it out again - nothing. Shook and pounded it a bunch - one adult bug dropped out. I've gone over it again and gotten no more out of it. But I can't help but worry; that's what these nasty critters do to you, as anyone who has been through an infestation can tell you.

So I ask you - Has anyone had experience of this awful type? What can I do to make sure the instrument is clear? Lord knows bedbugs love their hidey places, and there are plenty in there, none of which can I get to. Is there some poisonous spray I can use that won't damage the wood? My landlord is talking about using some kind of ozone machine. Should I leave my mandolin in the room while he runs that? I was leery of using the compressed air, for goodness' sake. I'd really like to get Terminix over to tent the place, but the landlord doesn't want to spend the thousands of bucks that would cost. And I am not going to use the same method on the mandolin as I did on the case.

I'm open to suggestions, advice, accounts of experiences. But please, no attempts at humor. This is sheer hell.

Thank you.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Bedbugs And Mandolins

I'm so sorry, I've dealt with bedbugs too, in retrospect, I would have preferred the tent method too and would pay for it myself.
    All other methods kinda-sorta work, and you can struggle with those for a long time.

Cimexa was a decent product.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Blog Entries

I offered to split the cost of tenting with the landlord. Not going for it. I might have to lean on him a bit more. My roommates are moving out. I'm tempted to do the same - though I don't want to bring the problem with me. also got more instruments in the room - though they're on the other side, and solid body electrics. The question is, how to be tough on bugs but gentle on instruments?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

They will most likely carry them with them, unless everything they take out is heat-sterilized, which is one typical way to deal with bedbugs. Might want to warn them about that.

There are services that do the heat sterilization. A big truck with a large oven on it basically.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

I am not sure ozone is the way to go: https://www.noai.org/does-ozone-kill-bedbugs

https://ag.purdue.edu/entm/ENTM%2049...%20Summary.pdf

We had property on Anna Maria for years (decades). The only real way to get rid of termites, bedbugs, etc. is tenting. Florida has some pretty strict laws regarding what a landlord is required to do for a tenant. Not sure how they are enforcing that now, with everything that's going on, but your landlord has an obligation to "effectively" fumigate.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

6. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

8. The following members say thank you to mandolin breeze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I've got a problem with bedbugs. No, not these Bedbugs:

I wouldn't mind that at all. Any more Lowell George would be just fine with me.

No, I mean the standard issue bedbugs. I don't know how they came into my life - no one ever does - but they are making it a living hell.

I have had my mandolin in its soft case with zipper and backstrap leaning up beside my head in my bed for months. Nice to have her right there for when inspiration strikes. It had been a while, so I thought I'd take a look. The accessories pocket looked clear. But inside the case ... right were the sharp string ends jutting out of the tuning pegs have torn up the inside somewhat --- right in the crease between the inside top and side ... there was the most gruesome nest, the whole range of their development.

I have just spent the better part of an hour going through all the charts and sheet music and miscellaneous papers in the main body of the case. Found only one immature bug, though a good amount of molted exoskeletons. Didn't find any in the accessory pocket, nor the cloth strap. I blew out the inside of the instrument with compressed air - nothing. I took the case out to the fire pit and consigned it and all the intruders to hell. She had served me well, this case. It had come with an instrument, so it hadn't really cost me anything. And since it had a brass plate that said "Fender," it had helped safeguard it from being stolen. But even though I would have liked to have tried drowning the bugs and saving the case, I just wanted it over.

And I thought it was. But once the fire dies down and I went back inside, I thought I'd double-check the inside. Blew it out again - nothing. Shook and pounded it a bunch - nothing. Blew it out again - nothing. Shook and pounded it a bunch - one adult bug dropped out. I've gone over it again and gotten no more out of it. But I can't help but worry; that's what these nasty critters do to you, as anyone who has been through an infestation can tell you.

So I ask you - Has anyone had experience of this awful type? What can I do to make sure the instrument is clear? Lord knows bedbugs love their hidey places, and there are plenty in there, none of which can I get to. Is there some poisonous spray I can use that won't damage the wood? My landlord is talking about using some kind of ozone machine. Should I leave my mandolin in the room while he runs that? I was leery of using the compressed air, for goodness' sake. I'd really like to get Terminix over to tent the place, but the landlord doesn't want to spend the thousands of bucks that would cost. And I am not going to use the same method on the mandolin as I did on the case.

I'm open to suggestions, advice, accounts of experiences. But please, no attempts at humor. This is sheer hell.

Thank you.
    ++

Definitely an original first of it's kind thread !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Florida has some pretty strict laws regarding what a landlord is required to do for a tenant. Not sure how they are enforcing that now, with everything that's going on, but your landlord has an obligation to "effectively" fumigate.
    Oh, really? Interesting ... Though, there's no lease here, no paperwork, paying cash. So ... I dunno ...

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Definitely an original first of it's kind thread !
    Well, I AM a devout individualist! But I did a search, and this makes the ninth thread with that search item. Though possibly the first to address the issue directly. Life and mandolins do entail more than string and pick choices.

I've done a bit more research, and it does seem like tent fumigation with Vikane is by far the best method. Non-toxic (kills by asphyxiation), non-residual, supposedly 100% effective, requires no cleaning or other preparation apart from safequarding or removing perishable food items, plants, pets, peoples, etc. And it would penetrate into instruments, a key issue. Going to start working on the landlord again.

Can you put the soft case through the clothes dryer? That would take care of that problem. How long do bedbugs and their offspring live? Could you isolate the mandolin in a garbage bag, or someplace sterile that they would all live out their lives and then die?

Blog Entries

I burned the case. It looked irretrievable. Asphyxiation does seem a popular method.

13. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Tough, tough problem for sure. We had to deal with this a year ago at my MIL's house...did the heat method several times and what a pain to move all the things that can't be exposed to the high heat.

You burned the bag so that's done. They feed off humans so they will tire of your mando quickly you could just set the mando/papers, etc in a place - in a bag maybe, and let the stragglers live out their lives. It's all about breaking the life cycle so you need to make sure there are none in the house in the bedding, carpets, etc.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

15. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

If your landlord has a license to rent to the public (which he may not have, which could put him in jail or severely fined) then he has a legal duty to fumigate effectively.

Believe me, from 1998 until 2013 we paid (Florida has an overabundance of insect issues) for regular fumigations, and when tenants complained we complied.

Oh, really? Interesting ... Though, there's no lease here, no paperwork, paying cash. So ... I dunno ...

Well, I AM a devout individualist! But I did a search, and this makes the ninth thread with that search item. Though possibly the first to address the issue directly. Life and mandolins do entail more than string and pick choices.

I've done a bit more research, and it does seem like tent fumigation with Vikane is by far the best method. Non-toxic (kills by asphyxiation), non-residual, supposedly 100% effective, requires no cleaning or other preparation apart from safequarding or removing perishable food items, plants, pets, peoples, etc. And it would penetrate into instruments, a key issue. Going to start working on the landlord again.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

17. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Now I feel itchy. Good luck Journeybear!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWilliam For This Useful Post:

Heat is the only thing that I have seen work consistently.

Instead of fumigation with a pesticide, consider a kill control with CO2, that is likely a safer option, and likely cheaper.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Instead of fumigation with a pesticide, consider a kill control with CO2, that is likely a safer option, and likely cheaper.
    That's what the Vikane tenting operation is - not a pesticide, but an asphyxiant (there's a word). I'm wondering how to make sure the inside of my instrument is clear, until such a treatment can be arranged. I would love to spray a pesticide in there, but I don't want to damage the wood or the finish, nor leave residual toxins. That's my main question.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Heat is the only thing that I have seen work consistently.
    I can't imagine holding a high heat in the residence for that length of time would be good for instruments!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Remove the strings (because pointy end). Bag instrument with pillow case. Bag again with HD trash bag. Use a shop vac or dust buster to pull a vacuum in trash bag, and seal.

A little dust buster type vacuum is perfect for this, if you use a shop vac, be careful to just pull a good vacuum. Don’t want to overdo it.

That process should work fine for most instruments not finished with shellac, or old broken down nitrocellulose. Risk would include imprinting marks on too soft or compromised finishes, or if you are capable of pulling too strong a vacuum, collapse. Have to say that. But that’s the free method I would use. Pull a light vacuum and let sit for 48 hrs and smother the sorry critters.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

24. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

That sounds good to me. And doable. Thanks!

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Four days in a good commercial freezer (0F)will kill them, too. Not sure what it’ll do to a mandolin though.

Sorry to read of your dilemma journeybear and I can commiserate since we went through a similar episode several years ago. I had inadvertently hauled some bedbugs home to our bedroom from an apartment that I had had to rent in a far away work location for a couple of months. I read through all of the various treatment methods but didn't feel like we could successfully implement any of them. High heat would have ruined parts of the house, for example. We did, however, settle on a more benign treatment and it was successful.

Bedbugs can go about 12 months without a blood meal; after that they will die. So we covered the mattress with a bedbug cover that would trap those inside forever without a meal, and keep any outside from burrowing into the mattress.

Second, we bought a metal bed frame that rests on nine metal posts evenly distributed underneath. Under each post we put a bed bug interceptor cup. See this site: https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets...bugs/ent-3012/
    Inside the cup I sprinkled diatomaceous earth, which cuts their little feet and legs if they climb into the cup and keeps them from climbing up the metal post.

Third, we moved the head board away from the bed so the bedbugs could not climb down onto the mattress.

We left all of these items in place for TWO full years. In all that time, I never received any bedbug bites even though I had gotten them nightly prior to the treatment. After two years, the metal frame was replaced by the standard wooden frame, and the head board was moved back to the top of the mattress. The mattress cover stayed in place. Anyway, several years later we have not had any sign of bedbugs.

Bedbugs need a blood meal, and they are attracted to carbon dioxide and heat; thus, they hang around beds for their nighttime meals. If you were to put your mandolin away from the bed for a year or two, that would probably solve the issue since the mandolin-case bound bedbugs would have to go a searchin' for a meal eventually if it wasn't right next to the case.

29. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks James - I think. Like so much of what I've learned about all this, a mix of good and bad news. They can go 12 months without a meal? I can barely go 12 hours! So much for starving them out.

I destroyed the soft case. The infestation was too gruesome. In retrospect, I wish I had taken video and stills - this is suggested in case of legal difficulties. This was quite a sight, one I hope and pray I don't see again during this process.

I've seen that about diatomaceous earth. I may use that method. A lot of websites advise using a variety of methods for dealing with these persistent pernicious pests. I fear that they are not confined to the mattress, or even mattress area, and have spread at least somewhat into the room. And "somewhat" is just a start with them. At least there was just the one mandolin in the room. The mandola and the electric are in the living room, still in the footlocker since moving in. The other two acoustics are at the luthier. There are a couple of solid-body electric instruments in the room, on the far side of the room. What I fear most about heat treatment - which seems the best approach, apart from the expensive tenting - is the effects it might have on the "entertainment center - flat screen TV and VCR. I'm going to work on isolating them and moving them out of there. I appreciate trained professionals more than ever.

This discussion made me think of a NYC trip I made 40 or so years ago. Walking past of mountain of 20-30 mattresses on the sidewalk in front of a building, I asked my NYC friends what's up with that? Their savvy reply (in unison) was "BEDBUGS -- whole building has to get rid of them!" Yikes!

good luck, jb!

32. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    This discussion made me think of a NYC trip I made 40 or so years ago. Walking past of mountain of 20-30 mattresses on the sidewalk in front of a building, I asked my NYC friends what's up with that? Their savvy reply (in unison) was "BEDBUGS -- whole building has to get rid of them!" Yikes!

good luck, jb!
    Geckos eat bedbugs

34. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Geckos eat bedbugs
    Wouldn't surprise me a bit. If only I had one. There used to be a baby one here, but I think the cat might have gotten it. I saw a centipede in the bathroom last week, captured it, and put it in the bed next to the wall. I think it might be outnumbered.

...What I fear most about heat treatment - which seems the best approach, apart from the expensive tenting - is the effects it might have on the "entertainment center - flat screen TV and VCR. I'm going to work on isolating them and moving them out of there. I appreciate trained professionals more than ever.
    The company that does the heat treatment can advise what can survive the treatment, oil paintings, alcohol, instruments, etc can’t go thru it. I don't think they do tenting like they do for pesticides, it generally involves bringing in big heaters and running them for 8 hours, halfway thru they come in and turn things over, refluff clothes, etc to ensure that the heat reaches all the areas. We went to the Dollar Store and bought a bunch of laundry baskets to put stuff in...it was a real pain and involved a few return trips for some spot treatments but seems to have taken care of the issue.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

37. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post: