Thread: Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist

Default Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist

Where can this book be found? I've tried to search on Google and come up empty handed.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist

Quote Originally Posted by Brian560 View Post
    I've tried making a purchase from this website and their PayPal is either experiencing an error or entirely defunct as "buy it now" goes no where.

I had that book and was not impressed with it. Joe Carr's Reading Standard Music Notation for Mandolin and Fiddle is a nice, basic book on the topic.
    https://amazon.com/Reading-Standard-...8829952&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    I had that book and was not impressed with it. Joe Carr's Reading Standard Music Notation for Mandolin and Fiddle is a nice, basic book on the topic.
    https://amazon.com/Reading-Standard-...8829952&sr=8-1
    What are your criticisms of the book?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I just learned from listening to Mandolins & Beer podcast that the mandolin method 1 & 2 by Rich DelGrosso (Hal Leonard) teaches sight reading from jump. I plan to add those to my library. Though I haven’t read his method yet, I think it may be a very good resource for you. I’m much into Rich’s playing.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Hey Mark: what do you mean by “sight reading from jump”? I am not familiar with that term.

also: do you mean reading notation or actually sight reading? SM is the ability to pick up a new piece and play it up to speed. It usually takes years of practice.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just started using tomplay for violin and mando , for someone who is pretty good at learning by ear, but the notation timings not so good, this has helped immensely, I have not explored the mando music that much so far.

“From jump” is a colloquialism meaning from the start or from the very beginning. What I meant was that Rich says he wrote his mandolin method with an emphasis of learning notation and practicing sight reading. Not a direct quote, but my understanding of the conversation I heard in podcast.

- YouTube Stuff

As someone who couldn’t (and still can’t) read notation at all, years ago I purchased this book to try to get started. I found it impossible to do so using this method because one needs to know some technical musical vocab and concepts or none of it makes sense. I was pretty much lost from page one and ended up very disappointed and frustrated. If you really are starting at the absolute beginning, I recommend choosing another method.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    “From jump” is a colloquialism meaning from the start or from the very beginning. What I meant was that Rich says he wrote his mandolin method with an emphasis of learning notation and practicing sight reading. Not a direct quote, but my understanding of the conversation I heard in podcast.
    I get the jump part now but there is a distinction between learning to read standard notation and *sight* reading. Years ago I was at a brunch at an artist colony and classical musicians sight read a Mozart Piano quartet. It was absolutely beautiful to my ears though I am sure it was really a practice for them a far from their level of perfection. My point: you learn to read notation but not necessarily to sight read although you can get there eventually. There is a difference in the terms.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have used and continue to Joe Carr's for learning to read standard notation, and that book has worked out well for me. The biggest obstacle for me is switching back and forth between TAB and standard notation. I think I would do better if I limited myself to standard notation, but most of the sheet music I have contains TABs. I have heard the term sight reading used before, I don't really understand the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I get the jump part now but there is a distinction between learning to read standard notation and *sight* reading. Years ago I was at a brunch at an artist colony and classical musicians sight read a Mozart Piano quartet. It was absolutely beautiful to my ears though I am sure it was really a practice for them a far from their level of perfection. My point: you learn to read notation but not necessarily to sight read although you can get there eventually. There is a difference in the terms.
    Yes I understand the difference Jim, I meant that he teaches notation and encourages the practice of sight reading, my post was sloppy writing.

- YouTube Stuff

Sight reading (at least in piano) means the ability to play a piece accurately without needing to practice it. I do not have that ability with mandolin pieces of much difficulty. (Chords, yes, melody line, not so much.)