Thread: Inherited renovation

Default Inherited renovation

Hi chaps.. first post.. new to the group and mandolins.. i have inherited a "12 string mandolin" it is an old instrument from the looks of it and reports that its former owner was my friends grandfather.. i am not sure it is a mandolin at all but have repaired the breaks and splits on it and was curious for any opinions on what it is i have got.. however i cannot see how to post pictures in these threads. So i'll start by seeking advice in this regard.. thanks in anticipation..

Default Re: Inherited renovation

Welcome to the forum Satyr. Right below my post is a quick reply window for replying to posts. There is a line of symbols and letters on the top. The third back from the right side is to post an image. If you hold your cursor above it it will conform for you.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

And if it’s really unknown, show a yardstick against it: could be another member of the mandolin tribe. I have two 12-string bowlbacks and like them, but it’s a lot of tension on a fairly fragile thing, and amazing that they survive at all, so when you get to buying strings - ‘light’ or ‘extra light’ are the thing. When you do show photos it’s very helpful to show the neck-body joint from the sides, and to aid identification closeups of the peg head area, front and back. Some people here, not I, have extensive knowledge of makers and models going way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Hi chaps.. first post.. new to the group and mandolins.. i have inherited a "12 string mandolin" it is an old instrument from the looks of it and reports that its former owner was my friends grandfather.. i am not sure it is a mandolin at all but have repaired the breaks and splits on it and was curious for any opinions on what it is i have got.. however i cannot see how to post pictures in these threads. So i'll start by seeking advice in this regard.. thanks in anticipation..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132003640_718227752407582_7259444316877511801_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	190852
    Is it like this one? I think this one is a Goldtone 12 string but could be wrong. Not mine, but posted on FB.

Allan
    Allan Midgley

There are two configurations. The Gold Tone above is like a 12 string guitar tuned one octave above a standard 12 string guitar. The mandriola or 12 string mandolin (also called tricordia) is tuned like a mandolin but each course has three strings vs. 2 per course for a standard mandolin.

Other common mandolin-like 12 string instruments are the Spanish bandurria which has a short neck and different tuning from guitar but also 2 strings per course.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1