Thread: The Loar LM700 Supreme F-style

Default The Loar LM700 Supreme F-style

Hey guys,
    I've played mandolin for a long time, but always had the cheaper A style Kentucky models. I'm going to have about $1000 to spend for a mandolin, and I've looked around a little bit for an F-style near that budget. I see The Loar LM700 Supreme F style runs $1149 which I think I can swing. So I've got a few questions:

• Anyone have any other ideas for a mandolin around that price that plays easy and has a better tone than the cheaper Kentucky models I've played?

• Has anyone played the mandolin I'm looking at (The Loar) and have any reviews for me?

Default Re: The Loar LM700 Supreme F-style

I personally have never played a The Loar that I liked. I would consider an Eastman like this in your price range...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/164432#164432

Have you thought an upgraded Kentucky?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I personally have never played a The Loar that I liked. I would consider an Eastman like this in your price range...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/164432#164432

Have you thought an upgraded Kentucky?
    Thanks for your valuable input. I'll look into Eastman and Kentucky. I found the Kentucky KM-750 Deluxe F for less than $1100, and the Eastman MD315 F style for $745.

The Eastman 315 mandolins are a solid deal. I have owned a couple in the past. With the 515 you will get better tuners. good luck with your search!
    Charley

A 2019 315 in the classifieds.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/164421#164421

NFI

That is a good deal.
    Charley

I've played a couple of The Loar LM700 and they varied but a friend has one and I rate it. The only thing I find a pain is the continuation to have the extended fretboatrd which give pick click. Scooping it is an option but another cost and it and wth long scoop, they look all wrong.

Tbe idea of copying a Lloyd Loar has been done many times but I think they should have made it for the player (rather than the tradition) with a shortened fingerboard extension like the Northfield Big Mon. I think Gibson keep the extended extension as well. I just don't see the point but let's not get away from the thread. I think you get a beautiful mandolin for the money with the Loar Lm700 although I don;t know where this Extreme word came from. I can't remembver it being used before but no dobt someone will know when that happened.

I've owned/played Gibson F9, Kentucky 1000, sold them off for the LM 700, fit, finish, and tone of the 700 works for me, YMMV.
    They're so popular that retailers can't keep them in stock, and seldom seen for sale in the classifieds.
    Last edited by J Mangio; Dec-25-2020 at 8:07pm.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

9. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Isn't it amazing what's coming out of China these days? Loar, Northfield, Eastman, and Kentucky have really raised their standards. Some of course are at a higher level and not exactly inexpensive but overall, these companies make terrific mandolins. I am enjoying one of Eastman's 505cc models.

Play yours in good health!
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

A lot of people seem put the Loar down, I think because of its name, or maybe just they play and sound as good or better than their more expensive mandolins. I own a 600 and a 310. The 600 plays awesome and sounds great. The 310 I bought as a beater last year for $200. I see now their going for $350. It played pretty well out of the box. I had it get a good setup and she now plays very well, not as good as the 600 but really good for $200! If possible go play one in person I think you’ll be extremely happy with a 700. There are no mandolin shops where I live, since Mandolin Brothers went out. I bought the 600 from them. It compared with mandolins they had that cost 3 or 4 times more than the 600. The 310 I bought on line and was very happy with its quality. Good luck