Thread: Round Bevel vs Speed Bevel

Default Round Bevel vs Speed Bevel

All of my picks are BC speed bevel picks. What difference in sound should I expect with same pick but with a plain round bevel ?

Default Re: Round Bevel vs Speed Bevel

I was thinking about posting a similar thread, but I think my question is close enough not to be a hijacking-

Santa brought me my first two BCs, a TP-1R50 (speed) and an SR60 (round). I have found many positive things I've read about them to be true, especially I've noticed the lack of pick noise to be great. But as I'm playing above the 7th fret or so on the A and E strings the SR (round) really dies off in volume, which I don't understand. If I change the angle of attack it improves slightly, but not enough. I'd say it's the worst pic in my stable in the upper register. The TP by contrast (while giving a VERY different tone) is perhaps the best. If not for this I think the SR would be my new favorite. Has anybody had a similar experience? Would putting a speed bevel on it help?

Do you have an SR60 (speed) Yankees1? If so how does it sound up the board?

3. The following members say thank you to Stopstop for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    I was thinking about posting a similar thread, but I think my question is close enough not to be a hijacking-

Santa brought me my first two BCs, a TP-1R50 (speed) and an SR60 (round). I have found many positive things I've read about them to be true, especially I've noticed the lack of pick noise to be great. But as I'm playing above the 7th fret or so on the A and E strings the SR (round) really dies off in volume, which I don't understand. If I change the angle of attack it improves slightly, but not enough. I'd say it's the worst pic in my stable in the upper register. The TP by contrast (while giving a VERY different tone) is perhaps the best. If not for this I think the SR would be my new favorite. Has anybody had a similar experience? Would putting a speed bevel on it help?

Do you have an SR60 (speed) Yankees1? If so how does it sound up the board?
    All my BC picks have the speed bevel and a tad55 is my thickest pick but I prefer a tad 40-45 better. I have a TPR 35 and 40 BC and I like these best for tremolo. Next purchase will be Apollo picks !

After playing speed bevels, I can't imagine going back to round edges, especially since a BC pick is not going to wear its way into a speed bevel like a pick made of normal materials. I do have "1R" on some of my BC's and find that the rounder radius corner to have a much mellower tone with a lot of the highs clipped off. I rarely find myself using that soft corner though.

I do find that different thicknesses change the tone as well as response. I have a TAD 40 which sounds closer to a traditional pick when I want more string noise for strumming rhythm, where a CT55 packs a more deep and powerful tone for flatpicking.

6. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Question Re: Round Bevel vs Speed Bevel

With my arm laying on top of the tail piece the right hand speed bevel is not so useful .. but its there.. 2nd hand BC CT 55.

or Dawg, Or 346 Fender heavy .. different picks

On different Mandolins .. any bevel may be worn in..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

8. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

My opinion, take it for what it's worth. I play Blue Chip TAD-3R and SR usually in a 60 right hand speed bevel. I also have a mixture of 50 and 60 in both styles with and without the speed bevel. To me a 60 speed bevel will be comparable in tone to a 50 round bevel of the same style. In other words a SR60 Speed bevel = SR50 round bevel tone wise.
    I hope that answers your question.

Adam

10. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

I always keep two of each pick that I like - one with a rounded edge and one with a bevel. For certain situations I will also get a more pointed version of a pick as well. My picks are BC's and Red Bears. The instrument and music helps me choose which pick fits best.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

12. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    My opinion, take it for what it's worth. To me a 60 speed bevel will be comparable in tone to a 50 round bevel of the same style. In other words a SR60 Speed bevel = SR50 round bevel tone wise.
    I don't know if your math is "perfect" but I absolutely agree with your premise. All a speed bevel does is make the pick thinner where it makes contact, making a thicker pick sound and feel "thinner".
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I like both styles and find them both useful in different musical situations. With the angle I play with a pick with a speed bevel glides across the strings easier and sounds less "clacky". However, this doesn't mean that it's better.

Blog Entries

My Dunlop Ultex picks are beveled symmetrically. I tried rounding the edge and it loses a lot of interesting tone. I can darken tone as needed by angling, but need the sharp edge for brighter tone.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

If thick enough a symmetrical bevel can be made.. of course..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture