Now they sing around that Great White Throne

(Thanks to Jan J & Alan N)

But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP Tony Rice

I became acquainted with Critter for a brief moment during our annual music camp when he was getting ready to head off to college; totally amazing guitarist at that time with the unrestrained enthusiasm of a teenager. His memorial in Variety is a great read, discussing Tony's effect on his musicianship - something that had a major effect on the way he has matured as a musician:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...gOtOU_5DsiURp0

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    I became acquainted with Critter for a brief moment during our annual music camp when he was getting ready to head off to college; totally amazing guitarist at that time with the unrestrained enthusiasm of a teenager. His memorial in Variety is a great read, discussing Tony's effect on his musicianship - something that had a major effect on the way he has matured as a musician:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...gOtOU_5DsiURp0
    Excellent article.
    David A. Gordon

Hoover’s piece is well written and incredibly moving.

On the whole 4 Jazz albums things ( while I love all the traditional stuff Tony did - it was the 4 Spacegrass albums that left my jaw on the floor) Wayne Benson talks about this music in length and even demonstrates "Mar West" which I just happen to be already trying to learn, anyway this is a great "mando-centric" remembrance of Tony.

check it out

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

NPR published its list of musicians we lost last year. It's in chronological order, with very brief summations, and links to an article when these exist. Here's his entry:

Acoustic guitarist, singer and bluegrass paradigm shifter

June 8, 1951 — Dec. 25, 2020

I think that a good concise summary, free from hyperbole, as is their style. The last term seems very appropriate.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

When I started through the NPR list I was somewhat taken aback by how many of those musicians I'd never heard of and then as it went on and on I was surprised at how many I did know. May they all Rest In Peace.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

It's been a really rough year. So many, and s0me real greats, all-time greats. And as we know, it finished very badly. I had friends in the rock scene who were stunned by the loss of Leslie West. And then friends in the acoustic scene - well, here we are.

The two losses that shook me the most are similarly split - Peter Green, founder of Fleetwood Mac as a blues band, and John Prine, one of the greatest songwriters of the last fifty years, if not ever. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to hear them both live, meet them both, even if briefly, shake their hands, and thank them for their music.

The world is better for these talented people having been in it, and sadder for them having left it. Thank you all.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

12. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I did a 2 hour tribute to Tony on my radio show this past friday on WTJU Charlottesville, Virginia. It’s archived on the station’s website till jan 15th here: https://www.wtju.net/player-past-pla...09534800_12070

Pete

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando Mafia For This Useful Post:

And when I die, you can make my Tombstone
    Out of Number Nine coal, out of Number Nine coal

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Man, that intro to 10 Degrees is cooler than the other side of the pillow. The first time I heard it I was powerless to resist trying to cop it.

The experience provided excellent instruction on using a high chord position on the neck with a "surprise" open string here or there, combined with a specific and (to me) counterintuitive pick pattern. What I have come to believe after studying his playing is that he worked on or worked out some things (like that intro) ahead of time. This enabled him to develop a ton of filthy licks that showed up at various places in the context of his improvising. There are a couple of really cool ones in his break on Blue Railroad Trail, where he uses an open string as an opportunity to move his fretting hand to a different neck position.

Now if I could only cop just one or two of his tasty open chord voicings that he used on those jazz records. Those close harmonies are much tougher for my ear to pick out.
    Clark Beavans

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Fretbear - thanks for sharing that wonderful tribute.

Blog Entries

Daniel at Mandolins and Beer podcast put out a real heartfelt Tony Rice tribute episode we just listened to this morning. Highly recommended.

Name:  img_0069.png
Views: 1105
Size:  141.6 KB

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The radio show Mando Mafia mentioned in Post #83 has quite a playlist. Between this and that podcast, there is a heapin' helpin' of fine listenin'.

Playlist:
    "Pete's tune" - Extended Play Boys - "Extended Play Boys" - Beet
    "Old Home Place" - J.D. Crowe & The New South - "J.D. Crowe & The New South" - Rounder[1975] : Also known by its catalog # 0044
    "500 Miles" - Bluegrass Alliance - "Live at Renfro Valley, KY circa 1971" - Bluegrass Alliance[1971] : Tony Rice at 20 years old. Bluegrass Alliance, leader Lonnie Peerce, circa 1971.. Sam Bush met Tony at a BG festival in the early 70s and, even though being a new member himself, invited Tony to join the band. Others in the band included Courtney Johnson and Ebo Walker..they and Sam went on to form New Grass Revival.
    "Bury Me Beneath the Weeping Willow" - Ricky Skaggs & Tony Rice - "Skaggs and Rice" - Sugar Hill Records[1980] : Bandmates from JD Crowe & the New South
    "Galveston Flood" - Tony Rice - "Tony Rice Plays And Sings Bluegrass" - Rounder[1993] : originally a folk song "Wasn't That a Mighty Storm” about the 1900 hurricane that destroyed Galveston TX
    "Swing 51" - David Grisman Quintet - "The David Grisman Quintet" - Kaleidoscope[1977] : First tune that Tony wrote after he had told Grisman he didn't think he could write his own music. Grisman said 'Sure you can'
    "Nardis" - John Carlini/Tony Rice - "River Suite for Two Guitars" - Sugar Hill Records[1995]
    "Cold on the Shoulder" - Tony Rice(by Gordon Lightfoot) - "Cold on the Shoulder" - Rounder[1984]
    "Me and My Guitar" - Tony Rice(by James Taylor) - "Me and My Guitar" - Rounder[1986]
    "Tipper" - Tony Rice - "Me and My Guitar" - Rounder[1986] : 'Tipper' was the name of Tony's dog at the time of his writing this piece.
    "Whitewater" - Tony Rice, Bela Fleck & friends - "Tony Rice Winterhawk festival 7/91" - Tony Rice, Bela Fleck & friends[1991] : Bela Fleck: “Playing with Tony was like climbing aboard a magic carpet. His rhythm playing set you free." After Tony stopped playing, Bela said he wouldn’t record another bluegrass album, as Tony was the man.
    "Blue Ridge Cabin Home" - Tony Rice & Bela Fleck - "Tony Rice Winterhawk festival 7/91" - Tony Rice & Bela Fleck[1991]
    "Spanish Point" - Bela Fleck - "The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Volume 2" - Warner Bros.[1999]
    "Tzigani" - Tony Rice Unit - "Still Inside" - Rounder[1981]
    "Blackberry Blossom" - Tony Rice Unit - "Manzanita" - Rounder[1979]
    "Only Time I Have A Decent Guitar Player - Ditto" - Norman Blake & Tony Rice (14 May 1999) - "Live at the Prism (14 May 1999)" - Norman Blake & Tony Rice (14 May[1999]
    "Ginseng Sullivan" - Norman Blake & Tony Rice (14 May 1999) - "Live at the Prism (14 May 1999)" - Norman Blake & Tony Rice (14 May[1999]
    "Church Street Blues" - Tony Rice - "Church Street Blues" - Rounder[1983]
    "Moonlight Midnight" - Peter Rowan & Tony Rice - "Quartet" - Rounder[2007]
    "Pizza Tapes story" - David Grisman - David Grisman
    "Man Of Constant Sorrow" - Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, Tony Rice - "The Pizza Tapes" - Acoustic Disc[2000]
    "Dawg After Dark" - David Grisman & Tony Rice - "Tone Poems" - Acoustic Disc[1994] : Dawg After Dark featured Tony playing a 1939 Gibson J100 guitar and David playing a 1925 Gibson Fern F5 mandolin
    "Shenandoh" - The Tony Rice Unit/Tony Rice - "Unit of Measure" - Rounder[2000]

I only have one Tony Rice album, the compilation 58957:The Bluegrass Guitar Collection from 2003 ... but I play it a lot!

Great album I'd recommend for anyone starting out their exploration of Tony Rice or bluegrass in general.

Very nice tribute from Jerry Douglas with excellent photos.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coronado For This Useful Post:

ajhJohn Sopertree 

Here is Bryan Sutton's tribute from a couple of days ago.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I didn't look thru all 4 pages, anyway this is such a treasure for me to listen to or to take turns playing along with acoustic or mandolin. Tone Poems

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...goK-NgLglHo97m

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coronado View Post
    Very nice tribute from Jerry Douglas with excellent photos.
    Some amazing pics....

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Daniel at Mandolins and Beer podcast put out a real heartfelt Tony Rice tribute episode we just listened to this morning. Highly recommended.

Name:  img_0069.png
Views: 1105
Size:  141.6 KB
    I'm only a third of the way through this podcast, but it has been absolutely tremendous so far! I like that Daniel presented these stellar musicians just telling their stories and insights, rather than being interviewed.

My favorite line so far has been Alan Bibey's: "Michael Jordan was the Tony Rice of basketball."
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

33. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

"Perfectionist." "Professional." Yes.
    What you see in videos, what you saw in person, was also someone that appreciated and encouraged his peers.
    To be there at that level, and to have his encouragement - a nod, a smile, a word - would be priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    When I started through the NPR list I was somewhat taken aback by how many of those musicians I'd never heard of and then as it went on and on I was surprised at how many I did know. May they all Rest In Peace.
    Same here. What surprised me the most was how many that passed away that I missed. Spencer Davis among them. A favorite of mine from the early days of the "British Invasion." Gave a teenaged kid named Steve Winwood his start.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"