Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tony Rice

Default Re: RIP Tony Rice

Very sad news. Tony was in a league of his own, a towering and inspirational musician to anyone with an interest in mastering bluegrass guitar although only major talents came to within shouting distance of him.

Sure, Tony was a fantastic guitarist and singer and stylist and bandleader and inspiration to us all. But for me it was the man's soul that impressed me the most.

And no, I'm not talking about "soul" as in Sam n' Dave kinda soul... I'm referring to the soul of the man who was also an exemplary musician. It was the things he would say when talking about... well, whatever, that impressed me the most. He was just a beautiful cat whose humanity ran deep.

We are all the better in this maddening and amazing world because of people like him.

Tony dear friend... we love you madly.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

RIP.
    His lovely work on Tone Poems CDs really showed what a musician he was.
    I had heard his name for years but not really listened before then.
    Bren

It's not often you like ALL the music that someone plays but I felt that way with Tony Rice. 'Greenight on the southern' was one of my favourites and his 'Gordon Lightfoot' album. Seemed like a genuine great guy. I'll continue to play his CDs.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Add to the list of guitarists lost this year Leslie West, who died on 12/22. Very different genre and style, of course, but there have been so many greats going this year, John Prine and Peter Green among them, it's been really, really tough.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I merged the Tony Rice threads.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Again from Facebook, David Grisman's page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...96728201909478

For those that aren't on Facebook here are David's words:

It’s with a heavy heart that I mourn the loss of my dear friend and colleague, Tony Rice, who passed away yesterday. Tony was the original guitarist in my quintet and his playing established a standard for acoustic flat-top playing that remains unequaled to this day. I’ll never forget the time, shortly after we started playing together, that Tony said to me, “I can’t write tunes.” I told him that he absolutely could, and the very next day he came in with his first composition, “Swing ’51”, which we recorded on the first DGQ LP. I’d like to share that performance with you all. Rest in peace, “T”. "Swing 51" link: https://youtu.be/rbDf4sutxUU
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Default Tony Rice passed

David Anthony Rice passed away on the 25th; very sad.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

Sad news indeed - he was a true master of the acoustic guitar.

Default Re: Tony Rice passed

A thread is over in Bluegrass section.
    Last edited by GTison; Dec-27-2020 at 9:13am. Reason: duplicate thread

15. The following members say thank you to GTison for this post:

Blog Entries

Merging multiple threads as that seems to be more appropriate.

Rest in peace, Tony.

Name:  tonyjohn-clegg-large.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  127.6 KB

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

The two times I saw him live - in 1978 at Memorial Hall (UNC) with DGQ, and in 2013 at First Class Bluegrass in Asheville with the Bluegrass Album Band reunion, once early in his career and once late, he took my breath away.

In '78 after seeing him do unimaginable feats on acoustic guitar in a genre of music that I had never experienced before, I felt so completely inadequate I didn't even want to admit that I played guitar and left it in the case under my bed for probably 3 weeks.

Years later I learned that he played bluegrass and had some difficulty believing he could be THAT good in such a different genre as well.

Years after that, as I began to buckle down and actually study bluegrass with an interest in learning how to understand it and be able to flatpack, I started to get the glimmering of an understanding of the amount of sheer work and discipline it takes to do anything well.

Still Inside, when it came out, exposed me to his humanity and the admiration of others (whom I admired for their musicianship) for Tony Rice.

So when I saw him in February 2013 with the Bluegrass Album Band, I identified completely with Josh Williams, who had to fill Tony's shoes singing lead with the group: he blanked on the beginning of one of the verses to the opening number, Blueridge Cabin Home. His voice cracked a little when he tried to explain it to the audience after the song was over - "I realized that I was actually onstage with The Bluegrass Album Band".

RIP Tony Rice, we're gonna miss you. Thanks for being who you were.
    Clark Beavans

RIP, Tony.

The greatest guitarist in bluegrass, and one of the greatest acoustic guitarists of all time.

Tony "changed the music".
    Before him, nobody played the way he did.
    After him, nearly everybody wanted to add a bit of Tony's sound to their playing.

Tony at the Escoheag (RI) festival with J.D. Crowe in 1975:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tony 2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	854.6 KB 
ID:	190859

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tony 1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	190860

Blog Entries

Tony sure could play Clarence Whites old "Bone!" What a guitar man! Tony sure could pull the tone out of that ole Gal! I heard a story from my Uncle Dick Smith when he played banjo with the Country Gentlemen in the early 80's-something happened to Charlie Wallers Martin so Tony let him play his trusty ole Clarence 28 Bone but Charlie being a rhythm player couldn't play the Clarence as the action was so low for Tony's lead style! I thought that was a neat story about that famed old Martin!

Rip.

That's sad news,,I saw him play with David Grisman in San Francisco in the late '70s...

That wonderful music is a balm and essential for the human spirit cannot be denied; Tony Rice and his profound contribution will be with us forever. His music brings me shivers, RIP Tony Rice Doug In Vermont

....Father's Day, Grass Valley, CA 1983 and I'm standing next a very old guy, him standing next to younger man whom I'll call his son perhaps. We're watching the 'Unit' playing and Tony fires off one of his lightning solos. After 30 seconds or so, the old man, wide eyed, leans toward the younger one and simply says...shhhitttt!. And it was unforgetable, Tony and the old guy. RIP Tony....
    2014 Steven Holst "Kay style' X-braced
    Lots of sustain and tonal range,
    Just what the Swing Doctor ordered!
    2008 Breedlove FF
    Fat and Woody!
    2003? David Hodson "Djangolin" Punchy
    Hot Jazzed, Choro-ed, and Swung
    Peace & Vision, Lorenzo

Very fortunate to have seen him perform live with David Grisman in Carmel, Ca. and in San Francisco.

RIP

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Tony said to me, “I can’t write tunes.” I told him that he absolutely could, and the very next day he came in with his first composition, “Swing ’51”, which we recorded on the first DGQ LP. I’d like to share that performance with you all. Rest in peace, “T”. "Swing 51" link: https://youtu.be/rbDf4sutxUU
    “I can’t write tunes.” Not too shabby, for that.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Such a bummer. The amount of players he inspired is staggering.

One of the gifts I feel he gave us, among many, was the way he elevated some of our favorite mandolin players by playing for the song. In interviewing players for the podcast, the one’s that were able to play with Tony all seemed to have stories about how he was always concerned about how he was playing FOR THEM to sound good.

I think sometimes that gets forgotten because of his incredible soloing and wonderful voice.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danielpatrick For This Useful Post:

Default RIP Tony Rice

Saudade Tony Rice.

Thank you for the music. You will live on in all of us. What a wonderful legacy you leave.
    Go Vandals!

May Tony Rice rest in eternal peace. He was my favorite flatpicker and for many years he was also a great singer. I feel blessed to have seen him live, twice.

31. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

Blog Entries

Phenomenal guitar player and so young! I am very sad to hear. God be with his family and friends.

Very sad.. RIP TONY & Thank you for the music! Listening Strawberry 86 set all day & getting drunk..