Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tony Rice

Default RIP Tony Rice

Seeing reports that Tony Rice passed away yesterday.

June 8, 1951 - December 25, 2020

Thus far the only link I can find is on Facebook.

More:

Wikipedia page

Bluegrass Today
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: RIP Tony Rice

Oh no.

RIP. I loved his music.
    David A. Gordon

This is very sad. Always loved his playing even though my guitar playing was never styled after his. One of the greatest concerts I attended was he, Mike Marshall, Todd Phillips and Darol Anger. It was the middle of winter here in Minnesota and almost a blizzard outside. He packed the house. All instrumental and heavily jazz influenced. Magical night.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Facebook from Ricky Skaggs.

Sometime during Christmas morning while making his coffee, our dear friend and guitar hero Tony Rice passed from this life and made his swift journey to his heavenly home. It’s still quite a shock to the whole family. After talking with Tony’s wife Pam and their daughter India, they asked if I would make a statement on their behalf and give them some privacy to process during this difficult time. I was honored to help out. Tony is also survived by his brothers Wyatt and Ronnie, and all of you who loved his music and those who will continue to share it with others.

Tony Rice was the single most influential acoustic guitar player in the last 50 years. Many if not all of the Bluegrass guitar players of today would say that they cut their teeth on Tony Rice’s music. He loved hearing the next generation players play his licks. I think that’s where he got most of his joy as a player. With many IBMA Awards and a Grammy Award, Tony was a gracious recipient of the International Bluegrass Music Award’s highest honor as an inductee into their Hall Of Fame in 2013.

Not only was Tony a brilliant guitar player but he was also one of the most stylistic lead vocalist in Bluegrass music history. When I joined the group The New South in 1974, I knew I’d found a singing soul mate with Tony. Our voices blended like brothers. In 1980 we recorded the album “Skaggs And Rice” for Sugar Hill as a tribute to our duet hero’s with just the simplicity of guitar, mandolin, and our voices. All these years later people tell me how much the purity of that record still touches their heart. That’s who Tony was, a singer from the heart.

I will miss him as I’m sure all of you will. But where Tony is right now, he’s not missing us. He’s in the place that God has prepared for those who love Him and receive Him. Rest In Peace dear brother. Thank you for your great talent and the music that will continue to inspire more and more generations to come.

- Ricky Skaggs
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Wow, what a loss. I saw him in Raleigh NC years ago with his younger brother Wyatt, fantastic show! RIP
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I have great memories of Rice, Rowan, Gilchrist, and Davies at the Cedar in Minneapolis. One of the greatest groups I've ever seen. Each added something amazing.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

9. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Holy mother of pearl. We have lost some real greats this year. Maybe one of the worst in this regard ever, that I can recall. It's gotten to be a bit much. John Prine, Peter Green, Jerry Jeff Walker, Billy Joe Shaver, and now Tony Rice. This year had better end soon.

I only ever saw him live a couple or few times. But I've listened to him a lot. Which shows how much he impressed me, because I don't often put this kind of music on. He was such an exceptional talent, though, his music was compelling. My clearest memory of him was seeing him at Winterhawk one year, I assume in The Tony Rice Unit. It was Sunday afternoon, and they all were dressed in suits and ties - fitting and proper Sunday wear for bluegrass groups - in heat that was pushing 100°F. They were sweating a fair amount, and looked a bit uncomfortable, but no one unbuttoned a button or even mentioned the heat. Yes, the music was excellent, but the lasting memory I took away from this was how dedicated they were to putting on a fine show, regardless. Truly professional.

RIP, Tony Rice. That Angel Band is getting mighty good.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

11. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Default R I P Tony Rice

Without a doubt one of the most influential flattop guitar pickers, he's been the go to bluegrass guitarist most of his career, midwifed Dawg and New Acoustic all while holding on to tradition with both hands, I was lucky enough to see him perform multiple times, with Doc and Norman, with the Rice Brothers, with the Tony Rice Unit, and with David Grisman, he will not be forgotten

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

13. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Default Re: R I P Tony Rice

I’m so very sorry to hear that Tony Rice has passed. He is my favorite Bluegrass guitarist. I was able to see him on stage in the early 1980’s at the KFC Bluegrass Music Festival in Louisville, Ky. He was a phenomenal musician and Bluegrass singer. R.I.P. Tony

https://youtu.be/rSc1205qlX8?list=PL...R0Wq0W2K5AW9Jy
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

NMC, but he played with some mandolin greats! At his peak a great vocalist, an inventive lead guitarist, and a monster rhythm guitarist. I loved every concert of his or performance on a festival stage I ever experienced. Another loss this year. No emoticons can convey the feeling of loss that I have. dreaming Tony on YouTube now.

16. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

A terrible loss to the musical world. He was a true giant of bluegrass/Americana music, and an inspiration to so many musicians in multiple generations. I remember hearing him play live with the David Grisman Quartet/Quintet and with the Tony Rice Unit. Wow. So creative, so impressive, such an amazing combination of fluidity, speed, imagination, and tone, tone, tone! Also, his duo album with Ricky Scaggs is an unforgettable classic.

Another bitter pill to swallow, courtesy of the worst year of my life, 2020.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

RIP Tony

The Greatest

RIP Son
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Sad sad news, sad sad times...

RIP Tony. His music made the entire bluegrass world accessible to me. Legend

RIP Tony. So very sad.

Very sad. Rest well.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

So sad. Hearing Dawg and Tony in 1979 for the first time on vinyl and then live a few years later re-arranged my life. Very sad to hear this.

David

I first saw him live at Merlefest in 2007 when he toured with Allison Krauss. I had heard a lot of his recordings but was not at all prepared for the impact of his live playing. There was no one else like him even in a festival full of great musicians. He totally changed the way bluegrass and flatpicked guitar is played. He could play good, old fashioned, straight, hard driving bluegrass then turn right around and play something from another world.

Gotta get myself a rocking chair and see if I can't lose....these thin dime, hard time, hell on Church Street blues.

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

i've been going thru 39 yrs of "stuff", downsizing, and last week found my copy of "Still Inside", set it to the side as a keeper with intentions to reread it this winter.

Always loved watching Tony play, so smooth, so clean. Saw him play with Mountain Heart couple years ago at a small venue and he was amazing. I remember the front cover issue of Fretboard Journal, long sold out, with amazing pictures of his guitar and the story that went with it.

My favorite album is "Quartet". Peter Rowan, Tony Rice, Sharon Gilchrist, and Bryn Davies. I love that album, and the videos from the time these four played together.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

d

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tony.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	944.2 KB 
ID:	190854

“I think it’s our duty as not only musicians but as participants in this music form that it be like any other music form in history. It’s been allowed to grow and flourish a little bit, but it’s our duty to allow bluegrass music to grow and flourish and at the same time retain the most important part of it. And that is the essence of the sound of real bluegrass music.”

Tony Rice
    Last edited by Fretbear; Dec-27-2020 at 1:30am.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Pest in peace old friend...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1570.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	190855  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Blog Entries

WOW, That is terrible sad and devastating news! Thanks to Tony and the Dawg on the original Tone Poems who this kid at the time scrapped the $ together to get that CD that started my vintage instrument obsession! Live Tony could bring the house/festival into a roar then one could hear a pin drop with his solo rendition of Shenandoah! Tony took lead guitar farther than his hero "Clarence White" Thank the almighty for all those glorious records, Cd's, tapes, live concert footage etc.. Tony will be missed by the multitudes of admirers, be it pickers or just lovers of his ultra fine guitar work! There are many emulators but only one Tony innovator!

Tony will be missed, as a guitar great and not too mention one of the best lead bluegrass singers there ever was. This really has bummed out my morning but were all just passing through this wicked world and just thanks to Tony and others who brought a very bright shinning light to all he touched musically!

35. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: