Thread: Fret Wire Questions

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Fret Wire Questions

For my first build, I used the "Small" fret wire available at Stew Mac, but for my second, I'd like to use bigger fret wire. Is what I see most frequently used on modern mandolins the SM "Medium"? If so, the size listed on the SM site is .080" to .095" ... (https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...-fretwire.html)

I was looking on International Violin (I have some things to order from there) and they carry what they call Accu Fret wire with dimensions listed: 0.109" Width 0.036" height (https://www.internationalviolin.com/...archtop-nickel)

Is that comparable to the SM medium?... Has anyone used this fret wire? Is it good stuff or no?

Looking for the knowledge of the mando luthier collective.

Thanks in advance!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Fret Wire Questions

.080" width and .035" to .040" height is what amounts to "standard" fret wire these days for most acoustic instruments (including mandolins). The .0109" X .036" wire would be low/wide electric guitar wire IMO.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Look up the Jescar 147 designation. I found this on Australian Luthier Supplies website and confirmed it later on the Jescar website.
    Nic Gellie

5. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

I have been using StewMac-0147. I think it has a width of around 2mm.

7. The following members say thank you to riverview for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    .080" width and .035" to .040" height is what amounts to "standard" fret wire these days for most acoustic instruments (including mandolins). The .0109" X .036" wire would be low/wide electric guitar wire IMO.
    As sunburst stated, the 0.080" wire seems to be the standard for mandolins. Since this is a new build, consider that mandolins are especially prone to fret wear with the usual nickel-silver wire. I have been using gold EVO wire whenever possible for refrets and new builds. The wire is harder and longer wearing than nickel-silver but easily worked with standard tools, and I happen to like the brassy appearance. 0.080" width for mandolins, 0.090" width for guitars and octave mandolin. I only use the regular nickel-silver if the player insists on a traditional appearance.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Conner For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

I have used the Stew-mac #147 wire, .080" wide x .040" high on many mandolins with great results.

The #6130 Accu-Fret wire from International Violin is a low jumbo guitar wire, and I do not recommend using it on a mandolin.

The largest wire I have ever used on a mandolin was the Stew-mac #141, .095" wide x .043" high. While it is narrower than the #6130, I still considered it to be significantly oversized for a mandolin. In the upper registers it left barely enough room for a player to finger a note, and it looked rather peculiar on a mandolin. It's a good wire to use on a guitar, but a poor choice for a mandolin.

If you're going to order from Int'l, I recommend that you order the #6230 wire, which is .080" wide by .043" high.
    Last edited by rcc56; Dec-28-2020 at 11:49am.

11. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Sunburst is correct, 0.080" wide wire probably goes on 90% of new mandolins these days. I'm also with Mike, EVO is the only wire I recommend these days and has gone into the last 7 refrets I've done. I just put some of the narrow EVO (0.053" wide I believe) into and old Stelling mando for a customer. I'm curious to see how well it resists grooves. I've got some medium EVO in a mandolin for over 6 years now and it's hardly showing any wear.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

FWIW, I have found the charts and info on this page to be useful for comparison of various fretwires: http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

15. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Thanks everyone!... Will take all this under advisement!... Will shoot for the 147 wire... I am using gold finished hardware so the Evo gold might be a good choice, but is more speedy than I want to use on this instrument.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for Carbon Fiber rods? For #001 I used a 1/4 x 3/8 x 18" rod form LMI for $28 + shipping... Amazon has a 6mm x 10mm x 400 mm rod (which translates to 0.23 x 0.39 x 15.74") for about $10 less... anyone else have a better source?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Check out Dragon Plate. Last time I ordered five 0.125,0.500,24” for $7 ea. Plus &11 shipping.

18. The following members say thank you to crooksj for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by crooksj View Post
    Check out Dragon Plate. Last time I ordered five 0.125,0.500,24” for $7 ea. Plus &11 shipping.
    I second the Dragon Plate recommendation, though I do believe they have a minimum order required so you may want to stock up.

20. The following members say thank you to SammyV for this post:

Thanks guys, is Dragon plate a manufacturer or online retailer?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Thanks guys, is Dragon plate a manufacturer or online retailer?
    Both, they are a manufacturer but also do direct sales online which is why they are cheaper than everyone else. https://dragonplate.com/ NFI