Thread: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

Default Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

This video points out an important aspect in changing left hand positions esp. when barring 2 sets of strings and transitioning between that barre position and the normal relaxed position. Examples: Sailor's Hornpipe & Irish Washerwoman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUbzdoA70FE

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

I find that resting the neck fully into the crotch between thumb and finger actually restricts range of motion in the fretting fingers.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mark! Although I'm showing the neck fully resting between the thumb and index finger, the fulcrum is actually at the mount of Jupiter
    where it is easier to shift positions because there is less surface area in contact with the neck. I guess a more appropriate title would've been
    The Changing Left Hand Position since the point of the video is the idea that your left hand is changing the fulcrum from the mount of Jupiter to the thumb directly
    in order to barre 2 sets of strings. Of course you don't have to but I might want to use my pinky so my thumb naturally fell into place.
    It's all about what is most comfortable and sustainable without injury and changing hand positions gives me an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I find that resting the neck fully into the crotch between thumb and finger actually restricts range of motion in the fretting fingers.
    I hold the mandolin in my left hand just as I was taught to hold a violin 47 years ago. The wrist should be straight. There should be plenty of daylight shining between the neck and the web on your palm that connects the thumb and index finger. Basically somewhere between the lowest and the middle joint on your index finger and somewhere between two joints of your thumb should be the only parts of your hand touching the neck. You left hand and arm should not be supporting any weight of the instrument.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

I also noticed that you don't use your pinky at all in either tune. Nothing wrong with that—it is your choice. However, what I am not so sure about is maintaining that thumb position with some variation of angle when shifting up the neck. To me it makes more sense to move the thumb up with the rest of the fingers. However, like Mandobart, I am also a fiddler.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

well I learned a new term "mount of jupiter". It is amazing what can be learned perusing this site.
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Stueve For This Useful Post:

I got a kick out of “mother of Jupiter too” ��

I have been trying to get out of the habit of berrying into the crotch of my left hand because as said above, it restricts movement. This is especially a problem for me when I play the 6th fret with my ring finger. I could get away with berrying the crotch on simple fiddle tunes like the two in the video, but this definitely is a bad habit for me that needs to go away for me to advance to more complex tunes. Getting easier everyday but I wish I wouldn’t of developed that habit.

I really think it’s easy to develop that habit when starting out because simple fiddle tunes don’t normally go past the 5th fret and the web is a great anchor. So I thought I was making progress for months learning new simple fiddle tunes and when I started getting into more difficult tunes I realized I was in trouble cause I couldn’t reach the 6th fret reliably.

12. The following members say thank you to killntime for this post:

I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone by redoing a Sierra Hull fingering of a classical piece
    and showing different thumb positions while playing arpeggios and scalar lines that
    require frequent adjustments to position changes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSsR3UQ7wqk

14. The following members say thank you to Roland Lee for this post:

Tony S 

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    I got a kick out of “mother of Jupiter too” ��

I have been trying to get out of the habit of berrying into the crotch of my left hand because as said above, it restricts movement. This is especially a problem for me when I play the 6th fret with my ring finger. I could get away with berrying the crotch on simple fiddle tunes like the two in the video, but this definitely is a bad habit for me that needs to go away for me to advance to more complex tunes. Getting easier everyday but I wish I wouldn’t of developed that habit.

I really think it’s easy to develop that habit when starting out because simple fiddle tunes don’t normally go past the 5th fret and the web is a great anchor. So I thought I was making progress for months learning new simple fiddle tunes and when I started getting into more difficult tunes I realized I was in trouble cause I couldn’t reach the 6th fret reliably.

Berrying into the crotch? Don't know what that means but most probably the problem is that you're *holding* or even supporting the mandolin with your left hand. Secure the instrument in place, e.g., using a strap, and let your left arm hang loosely from your shoulder, fingers slightly curled (automatically). Then bring your left hand to the neck and start playing. Forget all that confusing talk about "fulcrum" and comparison with classical guitar. Don't "place" the thumb anywhere, it lands where it lands. Personally I have very little control over my left thumb so that is particularly easy for me. As it stands at a 45 degree angle to my palm it lands lower on the side of the neck than usual.

(wonder how many times I wrote this).

What does the TS mean by "2 sets of strings"?

16. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

Another look at the changing thumb positions ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sj4...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I hold the mandolin in my left hand just as I was taught to hold a violin 47 years ago. The wrist should be straight. There should be plenty of daylight shining between the neck and the web on your palm that connects the thumb and index finger. Basically somewhere between the lowest and the middle joint on your index finger and somewhere between two joints of your thumb should be the only parts of your hand touching the neck. You left hand and arm should not be supporting any weight of the instrument.
    How do you manage to keep the Mandolin in place without using your left hand to support it? I've tried a strap attached to the head stock, a strap woven underneath the Florida of the fret board, and a non-slip rug pad on my left knee on top of which my A-style rests. Despite this all, the weight of neck is too much and causes the instrument to rotate in place with the neck dropping to the ground.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joh View Post
    How do you manage to keep the Mandolin in place without using your left hand to support it? I've tried a strap attached to the head stock, a strap woven underneath the Florida of the fret board, and a non-slip rug pad on my left knee on top of which my A-style rests. Despite this all, the weight of neck is too much and causes the instrument to rotate in place with the neck dropping to the ground.
    I always play seated and never use a strap. I support the mandolin using the point and a small portion of my right forearm, near the edge of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    I always play seated and never use a strap. I support the mandolin using the point and a small portion of my right forearm, near the edge of the body.
    Makes a lot sense for the F-styles or A-styles with points. I'm curious about A-styles without points (since, selfishly, that's what I have and am having issues with >.<).

Using the right forearm to anchor the instrument works at times, but it does not seem manageable for rhythm playing or instances where one really needs to navigate the strings at a fast tempo.

What I've found also works - kinda - is a strap attached to the head stock and then a non-slip rag (like you'd put under a rug) on the right leg on top of which the butt of the instrument sits. I often see recommendations to put the non slip rag on one's left leg, but in my experience the mandolin still slips when using that leg.