Thread: FedEx — wow — can’t follow directions; fakes receipt signature

Default FedEx — wow — can’t follow directions; fakes receipt signature

Had a new mandolin delivered today via FedEx. It was a signature-required shipment, and I left shipping instructions with FedEx, days ago, to deliver it all the way to our house, well inside our driveway gate. Instead, it was left outside our driveway gate, where anyone could have grabbed it. They also FAKED the receipt signature — the record says it was signed for by an initial and my last name when in fact I never did, and the screen grab from their driver showed only two different initials. It was left in plain view, where anyone driving by could have grabbed it, in 40-degree weather. It’s a good thing I checked my email that showed it had been “delivered.” I notified the seller, too, about it — they might want to reconsider their choice of shippers. If this is what FedEx considers “signature verified,” what’s the POINT??? Pretty astonishing....

Default Re: FedEx — wow — can’t follow directions; fakes receipt signatur

We're in the middle of global pandemic where people are shipping more items than ever before. Add on top of that the holiday season. While I understand your frustration, these delivery drivers are worm smooth out. I learned a long time ago to have the instrument delivered to my office or have it held for pickup. It might not be "right" but it's reality.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Whether they are overloaded or not, that is no excuse for dishonesty.
    Report it to Fed-Ex. If they ignore you and you want to make a difference, you can go to the press.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Whether they are overloaded or not, that is no excuse for dishonesty.
    Report it to Fed-Ex. If they ignore you and you want to make a difference, you can go to the press.
    Absolutely agreed, and have done so.

When we reliably had someone in the office, that was always the best place for delivery of an instrument. Now that our office staff work from home most days, it's a good thing I don't "need" another mandolin!

I know that due to covid-19, Fedex has a no signature policy in order to avoid contact. But I don't understand why they signed your name. Maybe the drivers were instructed to do so?

9. The following members say thank you to Lucas for this post:

When the pandemic started I got alert emails from both UPS and FedEx stating that in the interests of "contactless delivery" parcels would be left without the requirement for a signature, whether the shipper requested a signature or not - perhaps that policy is still in play?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

11. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    When the pandemic started I got alert emails from both UPS and FedEx stating that in the interests of "contactless delivery" parcels would be left without the requirement for a signature, whether the shipper requested a signature or not - perhaps that policy is still in play?
    Yes it is....

The usual current practice in the UK is to place the package on the doorstep, ring the bell and stand back. When you answer the doorbell, they photograph the package and open door and beat a retreat. I say “usual” because some companies simply leave it in the driveway and run away without even ringing the bell; I had a mandolin case delivered that way. There was a report some months ago of a delivery driver trying to throw a package through somebody’s open first floor window!

Good luck, a strongly worded letter didn't do much before a global pandemic and holiday season. It's taken 3 weeks for some stuff to get to me that would have normally been 2 days with no updates to the tracking. The delivery services are completely overwhelmed...now they are transporting vaccines so I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

What is the shipper to do? The USPS is not in good shape either, our local PO reassigned our street side box then didn't deliver packages because we didn't have a box address.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

You can also get your packages delivered to the local UPS or FedEx office and go pick them up yourself (within a week). This has worked for me in the past. At this point in time, the delivery guys are pretty overwhelmed and when you consider the number of packages in transit, it’s pretty impressive that more don’t get lost. My only complaint with FedEx is that they send out a text message that your package will arrive between X and X and it doesn’t. I don’t believe these messages anymore, but the first time, I spent a few hours looking for the package to arrive. I was not a happy camper then, but now I just ignore it.

The bottom line, if you are not where you can monitor when your package will arrive, best to have it sent somewhere safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I know that due to covid-19, Fedex has a no signature policy in order to avoid contact. But I don't understand why they signed your name. Maybe the drivers were instructed to do so?
    Can’t imagine why a driver would be instructed to do what he did. They left a mandolin worth thousands of dollars by the side of the road in 40-degree temps. Go figure.
    This isn’t the first thing I’ve received from FedEx lately, during this <Removed by Moderator. Posting Guidelines>. They previously did follow all directions and brought the package to the house, but the driver required no actual signature from my germ-laden, plague-passing hands — he settled for me just giving him my last name. Fine by me.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-29-2020 at 7:14am.

Who knows. I’m a FedEx registered user though and I get all their communications, fortunately. FedEx has apologized — not that I needed it, because it worked out OK, this time. But they will be talking to this driver, I assume, if he still has a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Calocedrus View Post
    You can also get your packages delivered to the local UPS or FedEx office and go pick them up yourself (within a week). This has worked for me in the past. At this point in time, the delivery guys are pretty overwhelmed and when you consider the number of packages in transit, it’s pretty impressive that more don’t get lost. My only complaint with FedEx is that they send out a text message that your package will arrive between X and X and it doesn’t. I don’t believe these messages anymore, but the first time, I spent a few hours looking for the package to arrive. I was not a happy camper then, but now I just ignore it. The bottom line, if you are not where you can monitor when your package will arrive, best to have it sent somewhere safe.
    I’m certainly aware of all that. But I was at home — where and when I was supposed to be. They had been given clear (and very simple) instruction on how to deliver the package, which they had no problem with and have historically had no problem with. There is absolutely no excuse for where the6 left the package and for forging a customer’s signature on a signature-required delivery.

Report it, simple as that, fedex is not in the business of paying fraudulent drivers, and if you don't complain, they will never know.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

No offense to the OP, but it seems the package was delivered and received without any issues other than the driver didn’t follow “instructions.” I hope he/she still has a job. How’s the mandolin?

Fed x , ups. Are bad for that. Up here they have no care in the world if the package is left where they see fit. Also. If its insured for the purchase price. There underwriters will probably give you half of its value. Because they can. If there is duties, taxes, and there over priced broker fee. They want that payed prior to delivery. Then they drop where they see fit. I wish they would contact the person its being delivered to via the phone and at least mention the parcel is at the location. After all a phone number required on a waybill is required. Not much time involved. Not much to ask.

I had ordered $18 worth of chocolate bars for my boss for Christmas. UPS stopped by 3 times and left a slip on my door each time. I signed the slip and left it on the door relieving them of any responsibility if the packages were left - two times. They circled a portion of the slip saying that a signature was required IN PERSON and this was at the discretion of the carrier. The third time they left a note that they were returning it to the sender. And of course I happened to be in the shower when they stopped by the third time. If I had chosen to pick it up I would have had to drive a long way. I never got the chocolate, UPS wasted a lot of time visiting me three times, and the company I had ordered it from gave me a full refund. So I guess my experience was the exact opposite of yours.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I have two Tonegards apparently due for delivery today; we’ll see what happens - particularly because snow is falling and I’ve no idea whether duty and tax are payable. The USPS tracking data seems to be a pure work of fiction!

<Removed by Moderator. Posting Guidelines>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-29-2020 at 7:14am.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg