Thread: Gibson TG-1

Default Gibson TG-1

Hello all!

I've been a little naughty and bought myself a new guitar, which I'm extremely excited about! A few links below:

Original advert

Video of instrument

Now, a few things I'm wondering about - I believe the TG-1 is a spruce top, whereas the TG-0 is solid mahogany. This particular TG-1 is the small bodied version too, although it doesn't have the sunburst finish other TG-1's have. Does anyone know if it could still be the original finish, just, non-standard?

I'm considering having it checked over when it arrives into the UK - can anyone recommend where to take it in southern England please?

Any advice appreciated, or if anyone just wants to chat tenor guitars! :D

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HQentity For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gibson TG-1

I have done business with Bernunzio for many years. You can trust them. It’s a real pretty instrument.

Oh, I trust them! I was so impressed, they were really brilliant! I’ve been tracking the instrument and it’s in Paris customs at the moment, reckons here by the 5th! 😁😁

Thank you for that!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Nice!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Teacher, repair person

I'd call that a TG-0, since it does indeed appear to have a mahogany top. Although they may have mis-labelled the model on this one, Bernunzio is an honest shop.
    I have seen mahogany topped early L-0 6 strings from the same period, and they have the same look to the finish.
    It would indeed be wise to have it checked over when it arrives. Even careful shipping subjects an older instrument to a certain amount of stress, and the glue joints on these old Gibsons can be delicate.
    Nice guitar.

That’s wonderful thank you!

That’s exactly what I thought! Not that I’m faulting Bernunzio Guitars at all they were top notch so far. At the end of the day I said to my partner, I don’t really mind if it’s TG-0 or TG-1 - I love the way it sounds and looks, I’m just curious I guess!

Thank you so much!

Sweet Tenor! Looks like it is in really good condition. Play it in good health in the new year!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Looks exactly like my TG-0, which I love! Congrats on the new instrument!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

That is a beauty and sounds great - Congratulations!! My past experiences with instruments from Bernunzio have all been positive, too. (Now it becomes like other relationships...dependent on the time you put in.)

Bob Page has this one in the classifieds: 1928 TG-0. Yours looks like it is in much better shape.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-03-2021 at 11:02pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blimey yes, that one is looking a little tired. Still stunning though. I couldn’t find any of them available in the uk, I looked all over the place!

The instrument’s still at Paris customs, still reckons arriving tomorrow! Keeping my fingers crossed! :D

Quote Originally Posted by HQentity View Post

The instrument’s still at Paris customs, still reckons arriving tomorrow! Keeping my fingers crossed! :D
    Know what you mean... with our um, irreverent, political decisions... i've a vinyl album taking some time to get to SW England from Eire....

Fingers crossed!
    Will they charge you customs duty? Apparently anything over £390 or €390 (can't recall the currency) may incur a customs charge now we're not in the EU. There was something about VAT too, but don't quote me I'm no expert on export control

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

Yes, I didn’t choose a very wise time to get something shipped through the eu! Don’t get me started on that I’ll never shut up! 😂

I paid just shy of £300 in total to FedEx for the customs charges, so hopefully I’ll be in the clear there.

I messaged fedex to see if they had an estimate for the delay length (I have no arrival date now), and they said they must have lost the package, asked me to get a description from the guitar shop!! They’ve since scanned it again in the warehouse, so I guess it’s anyone’s estimate for when it will arrive. I’m itching to play it!

Yes, I didn’t choose a very wise time to get something shipped through the eu! Don’t get me started on that I’ll never shut up! ��
    I paid just shy of £300 in total to FedEx for the customs charges, so hopefully I’ll be in the clear there.
    shan't be buying another mcilroy tenor then - last time TFOA had one it was €3700... !! Can't remember what I paid for mine

well actually I just don't have that kind of money to spend on a tenor now so it's a moot point...

as for the B word.... I take it we're on the same page, but shan't talk about that!

My band's website

The gorgeous guitar arrived yesterday and my fingers are red raw from all the playing! It is SOO much better than I expected, it plays warmly, and the intonation is absolutely perfect. The frets are low and the action is exceptional. It is a wonderful wonderful thing! It smells like an old library!

One thing I spotted was a hairline crack from the bridge to the bottom of the lower bout. I’d already planned to get the instrument checked over as soon as I can by a luthier, but the restrictions have tightened here recently, so it will have to wait.

I don’t want to take any chances with this nearing-century old instrument - does anyone think it’s something to be concerned about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	191159

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	191160

17. The following members say thank you to HQentity for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I am glad you are happy with you purchase and enjoying playing it, did you incur any import duties or VAT?

Yes I did, I paid an additional £300 to FedEx (not including the shipping charge).

there's a bunch on here who'd be able to advise re the top crack. But sadly not me! Last crack in an instrument involved repairs on Phil Davidson's vice and some super glue... that was a neck crack. Generally speaking it probably isn't an instrument killer (at least yet).

maybe start a specific thread elsewhere on the cafe? or here in this sub forum

My band's website

ps there's another TG-0 (1935) on TFOA at the moment (NFI!)

My band's website

Sorry, what’s TFOA/NFI? 😂🤷#♂️ I tried looking it up but couldn’t find anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    ps there's another TG-0 (1935) on TFOA at the moment (NFI!)
    Rob,

That guitar is gorgeous! The condition looks excellent. I wonder how the aftermarket pickup sounds? Not a huge fan of planetary tuners, but look at how clean they are. And that neck - Wow! I wish I had an extra $3k in my bank account. Thanks for sharing - I am going to have to keep an eye out for a good buy on his side of the pond. Big fan of all mahogany guitars.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	696.1 KB 
ID:	191187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (2).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	692.3 KB 
ID:	191189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (1).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	191188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (6).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	191193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (7).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	191194

Name:	image (5).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	785.8 KB 
ID:	191192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	191190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (4).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	191191

https://www.tfoa.eu/nl/gibson-tg0-te...tml?sqr=tenor&

Sorry, what’s TFOA/NFI? 😂🤷#♂️ I tried looking it up but couldn’t find anything!
    HQentity,

The Fellowship of Acoustics (TFOA) is a Dutch Music Shop that Badger Rob has always given high regards.

Additionally, he has no financial interest (NFI) in the sale. (Forum guidelines prohibit commerce here. We members must utilize the classifieds to sell. Members often put "NFI" to let the members & moderator(s) know this is not a sales proposal.)

Huck
    Last edited by Huck; Jan-09-2021 at 11:20am.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

Hey Huck, couldn't see all those pics earlier - wow!! What a beauty. I don't like planetary tuners either, but I'd forgive one of these; or a charlie christian equipped ETG150 (much as I LOVE my P90 endowed one! (still get a little buzz typing that I own one at all!))
    Rudi and Koen are lovely dudes at the shop. Vintage & Rare in Bath are also a favourite. One of the guys who works/ed there is a tenor nut and another makes them now (deadmill guitars) and his first, self-admittedly flawed, tenor was perhaps the nicest CGDA tuned tenor i've ever played....

My band's website

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

[QUOTE=HQentity;1802996]The gorgeous guitar arrived yesterday and my fingers are red raw from all the playing!

One thing I spotted was a hairline crack from the bridge to the bottom of the lower bout. I’d already planned to get the instrument checked over as soon as I can by a luthier, but the restrictions have tightened here recently, so it will have to wait.

][/QUOTE)
    It is almost expected to see some hairline cracks in a very old mahogany guitar but without actually inspecting the instrument it is difficult to say exactly what is needed if anything!
    It may need some internal stitching but I would be reluctant to touch the outer surface, any form of glue will be noticeable and may de value the guitar.
    If the crack was mobile when pressed then I would want to do something.... first step would be to make sure the guitar is not too dry as it may be very dehydrated ... chances are that a bit of humidity will tighten all the joints and cracks that might be slightly open but again difficult to say without having the instrument to hand.
    Quite likely a bit of moisture and a couple of glued on mahogany stitches will stabilise and secure the crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    ...still get a little buzz typing that I own one at all!
    Way cool Rob - way cool!