Thread: Eastman 305 and Northfield Calhoun comparison

Post Eastman 305 and Northfield Calhoun comparison

I have been fortunate enough this year (my first year playing) to acquire two of the more commonly recommended mandolins for beginners here on the Cafe, so hoping I can help out some of my fellow beginners in their search for a first mandolin.

An Eastman 305 that I purchased from The Mandolin Store in early April was the first one I acquired. MAS then quickly set in, and I picked up a Northfield Calhoun in August to try out an oval hole.

Eastman 305 - First off, I have to agree with the wise advice throughout the forum that this is a great starter mandolin for the money ($509 at time of writing). A great bluegrass instrument
    - nice woody tone
    - great chop
    - very comfortable v-shaped neck
    - would benefit from larger, nicer frets
    - fit and finish is outstanding with no issues noticed
    - setup and purchasing experience from The Mandolin Store is top notch
    - D'Addario J74 strings
    - Blue Chip CT55 pairs nicely (YMMV)
    - Northfield "Michigan Koa" armrest

Northfield Calhoun - American made mando for under a grand ($795 as of writing sans pickguards and other upgrades). Mine is a wide nut version, no pick guard
    - bright, complex tone from the oval hole and flat top
    - LOUD
    - good chop but not as woody as the 305
    - large frets and comfortable finger board radius = superior playability
    - c-shaped neck isn't quite as comfortable as the Eastman
    - varnish finish is beautiful and really lets the mandolin sing
    - one of the neck joints isn't "perfect looking" but overall, great it elsewher
    - Derek at Northfield was a pleasure to work and the setup is wonderful
    - Northfield Light gauge strings
    - D'Addario Chris Thile Casein pick darkens the tone while the BC keeps the brightness punchy (I alternate depending on the tune and tone I'm looking for)
    - McClung armrest which I cannot say enough nice things about

So which one do I find myself grabbing more often? Without a doubt, it is the Northfield. The clear and bright tone, large frets, and better playability just speak to me more. That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 305, especially at almost half the price. But if you can spring for the Northfield, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Finally, I just wanted to say that the Cafe has been such a wonderful source of information and inspiration since I began playing mandolin early this year. What a blessing it is to have such a wonderful community

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jcdraayer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Eastman 305 and Northfield Calhoun comparison

Wow, you've had a great mandolin year! I started out last November with an Eastman MD505 from Dennis at the Mandolin Store and then in May moved on to a Sawchyn Beavertail flat top and I really enjoy for many of the same reasons (clear, bright, tone, ease of playability). Lots of great choices out there for all of us, here's looking forward to a great 2021.

Rob