Thread: Gator Polyfoam Case Reveiw

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Gator Polyfoam Case Reveiw

So I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my PayPal account and I've needed a better case since I completed my first build and one of my instruments has been occupying a gig bag that came with an Eastman. I've wanted something more sturdy than said gig bag and I have thought it would be a good idea to get one of these as the "backpack" straps seem like they would make it easy to carry over the shoulder for comfort. ... or to just make it easier to carry 2 instruments (one on the back and one in hand) leaving the other hand free to carry coffee, water or folding chair... you name it. So hooray for Amazon, I received it today.

Pros: Good, solid and well made. Quality materials, quality zippers and quality build. It will definitely provide better protection than the gig bag. It is lined well with a black furry fabric and my instruments fit well inside. Its a touch big for the Jacobson and the Soliver, but will still provide ample protection. The internal storage compartment (under support for the neck) is WAY bigger than my other cases, easy 2x the size. Nice pockets on the outside, but may be small for 8.5x11 paper (sheet music), not 100% sure.

Neutral observations: The foam it is made of is more rigid than expected. The interior of my superior case has a layer of very soft foam under the lining which I expected here. Not sure if this is anything worth thinking about, but just something I noticed.

Nit-picky Cons: The "backpack" straps are very basic; I expected some a little nicer, but they will do. On a smooth surface (ie my kitchen counter) it slips and slides around easily. This seems to be as a result of the plastic "hardware" that the "backpack" straps are attached to. The strap that acts as a hold-open so the top doesn't flip all the way flat seems a little short making it so that the case won't stay open on its own unless you have it tipped back a little (ie resting the front of the case on the backpack straps). I do feel it was a little spendy and could stand to cost a little less for what it is IMHO.

All in all I am pleased and I would gladly recommend it to anyone searching for a good case/bag.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Gator Polyfoam Case Reveiw

How would you compare it to a Travelite style case? Similar?
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I had one of these for a short while before letting it go with a mandolin I sold. I concur with everything Soliver mentioned and will add that the interior is easily 1/2" oversized for a standard F5 style mandolin, which calls for stuffing a towel around one side of the rim to keep the mando from shifting. Other than that, the web handle is narrow and off center so the case doesn't hang straight down when carrying it. Otherwise, it's a very light but sturdy case, it's certainly strong enough to withstand banging around with other instrument cases. I got my wife the guitar version of this case a few years back which she loves, it's light as a feather and allows her to lug her guitar and fiddle in one trip. It has held up well. I haven't used a Travelite which I think may have more foam around the instrument. When I was thinking of buying one, they were unavailable for quite awhile and then I read some reviews of them being poorly constructed (see Amazon reviews).

In the same price range, Gator makes a Journeyman hardshell case which I got for a house case. It's covered in beige canvas, so no weather protection (being a cabinetmaker, I sprayed it with catalyzed varnish). It's very well padded with a good 1 1/2" of soft foam around the rim and an additional 1/2" foam riser padding under the rims on the bottom so the arched back is cradled. I haven't seen that in very many other cases. It also has a very comfy padded leather handle. Obviously not a case you'll throw in the back of a pickup with the sound system, but for around the house and occasional outings for jam sessions, it's fine.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    How would you compare it to a Travelite style case? Similar?
    I've never seen one in person, so I honestly don't know.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous