Thread: Non-mandolin question: Archtop, violin building references

Default Non-mandolin question: Archtop, violin building references

Hello, all.

I am in the middle of three different mandolin builds, all F5 models. One of these has been reserved by a friend of mine in New Orleans who mainly plays rockabilly/honkytonk music. He has never played a mandolin, but he's an excellent musician and is looking forward to learning. In our discussions, he asked if I would ever consider building him a custom archtop guitar.

Coincidentally, my eleven-year-old daughter has become very interested in learning violin, and she specifically has asked if I would build her one. How could I say no to my little girl?? So of course now I'm on the hook for that.

As a beginning mandolin builder I found the Siminoff book very enlightening (though I have since expanded my reference collection for mandolins considerably...).

I'm wondering, are there any single, "essential" guides like the Siminoff book for archtop guitar building and/or violin building? Thanks for your help.

-Mark

Default Re: Non-mandolin question: Archtop, violin building references

3. The following members say thank you to kjbllc for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

You can find lots of useful info on maestronet forum (the builders section is called pegbox). Very informative and some very top luthiers contributing but for new guy it may seem a bit uncivilised at times (the moderators are not as strict as here). Once you find out who is worth listening to you'll find it very useful.
    There are some other online sources like http://www.makingtheviolin.com/ which has very up to date information (that changes a lot in violin world) and virtually every step is covered. Good reliable drawings of typical Strad model are included.
    Very good source for beginners is notes from a violin school.. I don't remember who... ahhh found it...
    https://fixitwithshading.com/csvm-construction-log/
    There are some books that are considered very good source, perhaps the Courtnall & Johnson book but I'm not sure.
    For archtop I think the Benedetto books or DVDs are generally considered good source.
    Adrian

Bob Benedetto has a comprehensive (4 DVDs) video course on building archtop guitars, and an accompanying book, that's sold through Stew-Mac. I own both, and they're excellent. Stew-Mac also sells Bob's guitar plans.

Looks like Adrian and I were posting at the same instant.

Blog Entries

I'm also a beginning mandolin builder, and I know how long it takes to build one, especially an F-5. I recommend building a violin from a kit (StewMac, International violin, etc.) for your daughter so you can deliver it before she loses interest.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The Benedetto book is the only book available on building archtop guitars and useful for ideas about mandolin family instruments as well.For violins, I have been using Henry Stobel's Violin Making book for 20 years and it provides an excellent and very usable methodology for building a violin.

Cheers

RE: violin build... IMO, Davide Sora has the most useful, methodical, and well produced videos for building a violin I have come across. AND he's an incredibly helpful guy over at Maestronet.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgg...EovaC9UKnSMD3g

yes sora is the best!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    The Benedetto book is the only book available on building archtop guitars and useful for ideas about mandolin family instruments as well.For violins, I have been using Henry Stobel's Violin Making book for 20 years and it provides an excellent and very usable methodology for building a violin.

Cheers
    Thanks for the tip on the Strobel book, Graham. Just ordered a copy.

Edit: Also ordered The Mandolin: A History -- just so everybody gets paid.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ward; Jan-06-2021 at 12:31pm. Reason: Addendum

Violin maker here: Courtnall and Johnson is perhaps one of, if not, the best. Brian Derber was the instructor at the Chicago School of Violin Making, and his book is excellent as well. The Strobel books, excepting the shop numbers book, are pretty useless. Davide Sora's site has been mentioned, and you can not go wrong with what he shows.

Keep in mind that I went to the Violin Making School in SLC, so my perspective on what is useful and not probably comes at things from a different angle.

Courtnall and Johnson can probably be gotten via interlibrary loan.

https://newworldschool.cc/the-manual...n-making-book/ for Brian's book. Keep in mind that ALL violin books are expensive. Even the cheap ones are expensive...

13. The following members say thank you to luthier88 for this post:

The Benedetto book and video series can also be found via the interlibrary loan system.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.