Thread: New Eastman 305 VS Kentucky KM140S / KM252?

Default New Eastman 305 VS Kentucky KM140S / KM252?

Hi Guys - I guess this is a common choice question for 'value' category mandolin. I've looked at past posts here, but current specs have changed slightly. I'm in UK, where new appears to be about all there is currently in this category (unless you have something FS...).

The Eastman 305 now has an OE cast tailpiece They're all teardrops with F holes. Kentucky 140 is carved top pressed back and sides. The 252 is a plain finish 250, all solid wood with a carved top and upgraded tuners. Just over £500 for the Eastman and Kentucky 252, just over £350 for the Kentucky 140.

I'm a fiddle player going back to mandolin. I play all kinds of music ('cept classical) in normal times, including outside, noisy bars and big noisy community bands - that's why I'm looking at f hole. I don't much care what it looks like, providing it plays and works well and the neck isn't too thin and tight.

So, have you played these (or the Kentucky 250), and what do you think please?

Thanks, and all the best for 2021!

Default Re: New Eastman 305 VS Kentucky KM140S / KM252?

Max, I don't see too much on the forum about the Kentucky KM140 but the classic question for new players (or returning players in your case) is usually the Eastman MD305 vs. Kentucky KM-150. I have played both and both are good choices. They have different necks (Eastman = satin 1 3/32", Kentucky = gloss 1 1/8"). I don't know about and have not played the Kentucky 250 or 252. Whatever you do make sure that you buy it from a quality dealer and that is properly setup to play right out of the box or it won't matter what you buy or from where or at what price. I was in this situation a year ago and called Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store and ended up with an Eastman.

Good luck.

Rob

Thanks Rob: seems like the Kentucky 250/252 might be the 150 body and neck with a radiused fingerboard, upgraded tuners, and in the case of the 252, plain nitro finish rather than burst. Anybody know?

Did the necks of the Eastman 305 and Kentucky 150 feel much different to you? The Kentucky nut is 1/32 wider, but its fingerboard is bound, so the string spacing at the nut might even be narrower than the Eastman - anybody know?

Wishing a good 2021 to all,

Max

I didn’t get the chance to play a KM-150 or 250 when deciding on my Eastman 305, but several very reputable dealers like the ones mentioned above gave the advice that you have to get into the 500 series Kentucky’s before you match the quality of the 305s

Thanks again - one other thing (to all) - did you stick with the gauge and make/model of OEM strings on your mandolin, or did you find something else works better?

I haven’t changed the strings on the 305 yet but need too. I may experiment a bit with other medium gauge but the ones that came on it from The Mandolin Store sound great

I had a 315 (F style version of the 305) that handled EJ 74, EJ 75, medium Elixirs, and GHS 270s well. I really liked the 315, and it’s tone was definitely stage worthy, but the fretboard is noticeably more narrow than my 1 1/8 inch nut mandolins. If the Eastman had been the only mando I had I probably wouldn’t have been bothered by it, or even noticed, but, in a side by side comparison, it was obvious. That said, I agree with the comment that you typically have to get into the 500 or higher series Kentucky mandos to match the 300 series Eastman quality. But, I’m sure there are plenty of Kentucky 150 and 250 owners who would disagree with me...
    Chuck

Great, thanks all!

I've owned a 305 and a kentucky 252 (256) and currently own a Km 150 .
    For me ,my Km-150 outshines both the aforementioned in tone with the Km 252 a very close ,and with the radiused neck, a very playable second which given playing time could rival the KM 150 , I believe..
    the 305 , while highly playable just lacks tone , for me , in comparison . no oomph in the lower end , too thin in the top end and grossly overpriced here in Canada .
    If you don't need a radiused neck I'd recommend the KM 150 of the three you are deliberating over.

Sounds like all these mandos are popular, and maybe that some individuals prefer the sound and feel of one over the other. Here in UK everything's grossly overpriced of course, compared to USA/Canada (cost is usually around the same number of £s as USD)- but the Eastman and KM 250 series are very close in price here. I wonder also whether Eastmans take longer to play in than Kentucky instruments? Thanks All - Max

The other consideration is that, as budget conscious instruments, there’s a good bit of variability in tone within each line. So, most produced are good enough, with some exceptional and some more on the dud end of the spectrum. And, Eastman tends to have a more modern (Collings-esque) tone, Kentucky more trad (Gibson-esque) tone, and people may prefer one of the other, which muddies the waters further.

If you go the Kentucky route I’d pick 150 or 250 over the 140 (due to wood choices and build locations). Another option may be to try to find a used KM 500. Those appear for just under $500 USD from time to time.

I’d also advise you to not overthink this purchase. Odds are you’ll be happy with any of these if set up is good, and, as you play more, you’ll discover what you really like in a mandolin, which will help guide you if you ever choose to upgrade. Also, these are well respected brands/models, so resell or trade values should be decent (as those things go).
    Chuck