Thread: Bridge foot marks/resale value

Default Bridge foot marks/resale value

Hi all, just wondering how much these type marks might effect resale...when I bought the MT, they were covered by the bridge. Intonation was way off, so when I moved it backwards I found these hidden underneath ....it’s a 2004
    Just curious many thanks
    Charlie Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F0ECA25-1652-42A4-8AF3-ABE0C9D00AB4.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	190984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81F54800-154F-4FE0-822C-71100CDDAF3D.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	190985
    Last edited by 108 Mile; Dec-31-2020 at 5:23pm. Reason: Additional info

Default Re: Bridge foot marks/resale value

It's been a problem with mandolins ever since I can remember. It can be annoying to some folks and yes probably devalue by a small amount. I always feel it could have been avoided if the manufacturer or distributor/dealer put it in its proper place right from the start. If the are shipped with bridge not in plae then even a piece of cloth or some sort of measuring effect could be put in the pocket.

Annoying but happens all the time.

3. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by squamish5 View Post
    Hi all, just wondering how much these type marks might effect resale...when I bought the MT, they were covered by the bridge.
    Don't feel too bad; when they get in too big a hurry to allow the finish to dry adequately before they fit the bridge feet it can end up tearing a chunk of the finish right out of the top when the bridge is moved. Jerry Rosa likes to round off those sharp edges around bridge feet to prevent that kind of biting in that has happened there; it would be possible for someone skilled to wet/dry sand those marks and buff them out.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

5. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Just my two-cents worth, but it wouldn't diminish my enthusiasm for a mandolin I was considering purchasing at all. Floating bridges are that way to allow fine adjustment of intonation. The mark that might be left is a small price to pay for that benefit. For me it is a non-issue. YMMV.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

I agree with Bob (more or less) - While I don't like to see them get marked up, most of the marks made from moving the bridge aren't too bad, and are often not really noticeable if you aren't looking for them. I have one that bugs me when I look at it but then I tend to forget it's there. If your MT is as nice as some that I've played, I would not let it stop me from buying it. Also, like Fretbear said, it might be treatable if it bugs you enough - my luthier has some stuff called micromesh that works wonders. I don't think I'd bother, because (1) depending how deep it is, it might not all come out without filling part of it, and (2) whoever did it would have to restore that area to the same matte finish the rest of the MT has after treating it.

I think yours isn't too bad, from the photos, so try ignoring it for a while and see how you feel.

9. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

Blog Entries

It happens, seen it too many times! I'm sure the top is dented in a bit also from the bridge feet "Base" I've corrected that by fitting bases to full contact-that will straighten out the dips but if its in the wrong spot from the start that's another story! Never done this but micro mesh the area and fit an extra wide bridge base full contact and play it like that a month then take off and see if dents are gone if your that worried about it!

11. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

On a 16 year old Collings (with their reputation) I wouldn't think it would change much. How it sounds and fret condition would be much bigger determiners for me.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

The finish has been compressed in that area from the bridge foot due to string tension.
    If it was nitro, the area could be drop-filled, levelled, and polished by an expert. But that appears to be a non-nitro matte finish, and filling and levelling is probably not an option.

Simply levelling the area with micro-mesh [which is very fine sandpaper] is not a good idea.
    To quote something that Sunburst has often said, "It's easier to make it look worse than it is to make it look better."

I recommend leaving it alone. Many mandolins develop bridge foot marks sooner or later.

A potential buyer who is turned off by a minor bridge mark would find something else to complain about if the mark was not there. It is, after all, a used instrument, and used instruments are bound to show some sign of use.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

I love that quote

Quote Originally Posted by squamish5 View Post
    I love that quote
    Me too.

My brandy new Morris that I just got a few months ago has a bridge mark like that, exposed after I had the setup fine tuned. It doesn't bother me much.

18. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I would not apply micromesh to the area. If it is a satin finish a very light respray with nitro touchup lacquer can work if a surrounding areas of the tool is taped off and covered. Best if a luthier does it. If it is a gloss top I would leave it alone.
    Nic Gellie

20. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

I've got the same mando (MT A style, same color, same finish). I bought it used with the same issue. I ignore it.

22. The following members say thank you to gfury for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

It’s really a non-issue for me personally. I buy them to play rather than to look at them. Not that good looks don’t count, but a flawless finish to me is just icing on the cake. Also, I never buy one with the thought of selling it. And if I decide to sell one, I play up the merits - tone, setup, accessories - and haven’t had problems selling my used instruments when the occasion arises. It’s not as though you’ve snapped the neck and reglued it! Chill and enjoy your mandolin.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

24. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Thanks for all the input, I will indeed “chill and enjoy” my mandolin!

Yep well said