Thread: Ibanez Tenors appear discontinued

Default Ibanez Tenors appear discontinued

I took a look at Ibanez's 2021 offerings and don't see any tenor guitars in the lineup.

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/news/detai...118171450.html

Of the two they did have, the parlour would have been great as a 12-fret-to-the-body to give it more body and they stopped making the little dreadnought with a solid top, so there was nothing there that pushed my buttons, but they were a force and hope they come back again.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Question Re: Ibanez Tenors appear discontinued.

That is a shame Verne. Thanks for the info. They were an affordable stalwart and, I believe, built well. Perfect tenor guitars for the beginner. Now I'm glad I've held on to mine.

Can't remember where I recently saw the solid spruce topped AVT1 for sale - $299. Now's the time to buy one if you want a solidly built size 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_region_AVT1_NT_1X_03_sub_en_3.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	191289

I've heard of solid top PFT2's - never have I seen one. AVT1, AVT2E & the PFT2; are there any other tenor guitars that Ibanez built during their history?

Thanks again Verne,
    Huck

Smile Ibanez Tenors appear available

Oddly,

They don't show on the EU website from your link, but do for the US website.

Switch over to the North American site (If you choose Canada - it will give you the USA site.) and the AVT1 & PFT2 are there Verne.

Perhaps discontinued in Europe? Were they ever for sale in Europe?

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/
    https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...vt1_1x_05.html AVT1
    https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...ft2_2y_05.html PFT2
    Last edited by Huck; Jan-13-2021 at 3:36pm.

Default Re: Ibanez Tenors appear discontinued.

I just bought one from Musician's Friend at their online store. It indicated that they had 4 in the warehouse when I ordered. Just passing that along
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

5. The following members say thank you to dulcillini for this post:

Thanks - I see them on the usa site from those links.

Anyone know where the PFT1 went?
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I tried the parlor. The Recording King tenor is much nicer (I have one) at a cheaper price
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

8. The following members say thank you to shaundeane for this post:

Question Ibanez AVT1 size 2 versus RK ROST-7-TS 000

Thanks for that quick review shaundeane.

I've only read one review of the RK that was favorable; most say its set up out-of-the-box is horrible. A number have said unplayable upon receipt. Cranking numerous times around on a truss rod at once seems dangerous to me. From what I was told at the guitar shop, these guitars did sit in a container ship for weeks in the summer heat awaiting customs or such. This could of had an effect. That is why I passed on one initially.

But your quick review has changed my mind. It's hard to compare a size 2 to a 000. So I'm curious about the RK 000. Would you please expound on "nicer"?

Thanks,
    Huck

Default Re: Ibanez Tenors appear discontinued

I ordered one from Elderly and it was set up well enough - I did make some minor adjustments but it was certainly playable. I'd recommend ordering one from them or another trusted source that will set it up beforehand or at least check to make sure you don't get a dud before shipping it.

It's all laminate all around and sounds like it, but the big box gives it some volume and depth. It's not a Martin and won't fool anyone into thinking it is, but it is lively and decent-sounding. The Ibanez size 2 is a great looking guitar but the ones I've played have seemed overbraced and overfinished and sound like it.

Of course this all depends on getting a decent one.

11. The following members say thank you to Seonachan for this post:

Default Ibanez Tenors & RK Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Seonachan View Post
    I ordered one from Elderly and it was set up well enough - I did make some minor adjustments but it was certainly playable. I'd recommend ordering one from them or another trusted source that will set it up beforehand or at least check to make sure you don't get a dud before shipping it.

It's all laminate all around and sounds like it, but the big box gives it some volume and depth. It's not a Martin and won't fool anyone into thinking it is, but it is lively and decent-sounding. The Ibanez size 2 is a great looking guitar but the ones I've played have seemed overbraced and overfinished and sound like it.

Of course this all depends on getting a decent one.
    Thanks Seonachan, yours is the one that I referenced as the favorable review. I have noticed at least one Reverb seller saying they are now setting them up before shipping. At $200 I would not expect perfection out-of-the box. New guitars with sharp fret ends are a pet peeve of mine though.

I purchased the two currently available Ibanez tenors new. I have done nothing to the AVT1, and I adjusted the truss rod a quarter turn on my PFT2 after about a week or two of playing and the first string change. Both came out-of-the-box ready to play. Fit, finish, action - all superlative & Ibanez puts fret markers on the 10th fret. They both play well and still look good (besides a couple of dings) after a few years. My favorite feature of the AVT1 is the neck, just feels right in my hands.

The Ibanez AVT1 does have a lot of poly finish. Mine has opening up a good bit. But, to be honest, it doesn't get played a lot. (My daughter saw it today as I was posting. She asked if it was in 5ths, played a tune, and then she "borrowed" it. So I think it is lost to her now.

I like your idea of having the RK as a guitar to leave at your parents or take to the beach, or camping, etc. You don't have to worry about humidity and it is affordable enough to have as a spare. I also like the RK's 000 size.

Thumbs-up to Elderly's. Haven't been to Lansing in awhile - but they are one of the best.

Hope your staying warm in New England. We got a foot of snow overnight down here!

Thanks for your input Seonachan, it is appreciated.

Huck