Thread: D'Addario Chris Thile Signature Pick

Default D'Addario Chris Thile Signature Pick

I ordered a 1.4mm D'Addario Chris Thile Signature pick yesterday, looking forward to using it. I've been using the 2.0mm Dark Purple Dunlop picks for so long, but they're getting a little harder to hold since they are smaller in size.

I also landed a deal on a used Eastman MD515. A buddy of mine traded for a good mic I owned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	md515.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	191016

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...re-casein-pick

Default Re: D'Addario Chris Thile Signature Pick

D'Addario guarantees that by using a Chris Thile Signature pick you will play like Chris !

I already do! NOT

I just asked my local shop to get me one of those CT's. Congrats on that MD515 - the shop here had a 515V a while back that was a dynamite instrument. Fortunately that was before COVID, so I got to play it a bunch of times before they sold it. It played great and sounded great, and I hope yours does too! Looks like it has well played in.

I've been thinking about trying a D'Addario Chris Thile Signature pick, my hesitation is I rarely use any pick thicker than 0.9mm. I guess if I hated it, I could always sell it.

I haven’t the slightest intention of buying one but I do wonder how much they are and how much of that goes to Mr Thile?

I've tried them twice... didn't do it for me... back to my "modified" BC TAD50.

I got one for Christmas. I dig it.

I’m a big fan of the Wegen picks and the shape is pretty similar. Much brighter than the Wegen and I like it better than the bluechips I’ve owned. Time will tell if it replaces the Wegen.

If you don’t like thick feeling picks, I’d honestly save your money. It’s pretty stiff.

Here’s a tip from a player I interviewed on the podcast that didn’t make an episode. If you like traditional guitar pick shapes and are hesitant to spend a lot of money on an expensive pick. Try out the Delrin picks by Dunlop! You can get a dozen on Amazon pretty cheap. They’re really slick feeling and sound really good! This player is pretty legendary and uses them. I don’t know how long they last but I’ve got a few bags of them laying around in different thicknesses. If they made them in a bigger shape I’d probably use them all the time.

Happy New Year!

Like Daniel above I found them to be quite stiff... which is strange because they're supposed to be a 1.4!

Also both of mine arrived with a "curve" to them, rather than being truly "flat".

I wish D'Andrea made the ProPlec Large Triangle (Mike Marshall loves these) in a slightly thinner gauge. It is just a bit too thick for my hands.

Did anyone compare this to the Dunlop "Primetone" triangle pick? I've currently landed on this one and have come to love it but my curiosity is sparked as the CT pick seems similar yet different enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I haven’t the slightest intention of buying one but I do wonder how much they are and how much of that goes to Mr Thile?
    As I remember from reading the packaging, I think the proceeds go to the D'Addario Foundation that supports music education projects of all kinds.

I bought one and sold it. It had a nice tone and feel, but I liked my CT55 better in the end.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Thanks for that, I’ve always been suspicious of “signature” items. As for me, I’m perfectly happy with the bag of Primetones I bought several years ago and the odd Wegen.

Quote Originally Posted by danielpatrick View Post
    I got one for Christmas. I dig it.

I’m a big fan of the Wegen picks and the shape is pretty similar. Much brighter than the Wegen and I like it better than the bluechips I’ve owned. Time will tell if it replaces the Wegen.

If you don’t like thick feeling picks, I’d honestly save your money. It’s pretty stiff.

Here’s a tip from a player I interviewed on the podcast that didn’t make an episode. If you like traditional guitar pick shapes and are hesitant to spend a lot of money on an expensive pick. Try out the Delrin picks by Dunlop! You can get a dozen on Amazon pretty cheap. They’re really slick feeling and sound really good! This player is pretty legendary and uses them. I don’t know how long they last but I’ve got a few bags of them laying around in different thicknesses. If they made them in a bigger shape I’d probably use them all the time.

Happy New Year!
    Yes, the Dunlop delrin picks are definitely great bang for the buck. I used to use them before I got my Blue Chip picks - they sound good when you play with the shoulder end of them as well, for folks who like a less pointy pick. I still always carry a few in my pocket in the event that I stumble across a mandolin in a shop that I want to try out.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I was gifted a D'Addario Chris Thile casein pick for my anniversary last November. It's a nicer pick and the shape very much reminds me of a CT55 but has a brighter sound (more treble) than both my Wegen and BC... the tone reminds me of a PrimeTone. It has a very slight speed bevel while makes it glide across the strings with ease. As mentioned above it feels very stiff (I like that though)! My only problem with this pick is it is more slippery to hold than my Wegen and BC (it spins). All that said, it's one of my favorites, especially on my flat top, which it pairs well with.

On a side note... when I use this pick I still sound like me... not Thile

15. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Name:	4FC8AA36-99B4-45D4-B382-DBF40A330958.jpeg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	191043If you are going to buy one of these, make sure that you get the protection plan
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickel View Post

Name:	4FC8AA36-99B4-45D4-B382-DBF40A330958.jpeg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	191043If you are going to buy one of these, make sure that you get the protection plan
    Haha! Great idea

But does it protect if you lose the pick? LOL!!

None of the proceeds go to Chris. He's donating it all to the D'Addario Foundation which funds low-income3 music scholarships and similar programs.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcgroup53 For This Useful Post:

I use 1.4mm Primetones(512P1.4 or 1.5) lg. triangles mostly. Great picks when new.
    Need maintenance with constant use. LIke any good pick.
    I use nail buffer sticks on the bevels.

Have had a Thile pick for a year or so(longer?). It's casein so has to be babied a bit.
    Don't put it through the wash-cycle. I like it. Afraid I'll lose it I reckon.

Just got it out and played some. It's a very nice pick imho.
    If you like that thickness you will like it.

And it's got Chris Thile's signature on it! Not that it's legible.