Thread: PW Crump Guitar Bodied Bouzouki?

Default PW Crump Guitar Bodied Bouzouki?

Anybody ever play a PW Crump Guitar Bodied Bouzouki? If so, how does it compare with other bouzoukis that you've played?

NK Forster guitar/bouzoukis seem to get lots of positive reviews, but I haven't heard much about the Crump version. Some videos and (VERY) positive reviews of his traditional bouzoukis, but not much that I can find or view dealing with his guitar bodied zouks. I imagine, though, if they are like his other instruments, they are top notch in every way. Is he still even making them?

Thanks.

Default Re: PW Crump Guitar Bodied Bouzouki?

Last summer I corresponded with Mr. Crump while deciding on an octave mandolin. He is definitely still making instruments.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Thanks, Tim. I knew PW Crump was still making instruments (a good thing, because they are top notch!) but I didn't see any information on his guitar bodied bouzoukis on his website.

From the posting guidelines:

Refrain from using the forum as a market place, ie., a resource for selling, purchasing or trading. Please limit selling, buying and trading activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Apr-03-2022 at 4:24pm.

Years ago a friend had one that was a Nick Lucas style body but with dreadnought depth. Long scale (25.5" IIRC) originally tuned DADG with octave stringing on each pair and it sounded like a cathedral. Wish I had it. Friend recorded with it tuned CGDG here:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb...MVMZbySee_Wx0c

I have one. It came off the bench in April, 2005. I am the 2nd owner and the guy I bought it from told me it's the prototype for the model. I haven't bothered to verify that with Phil, although, it does have a couple of "Trial and Error" build flaws. It's also the only one I've seen with a Venetian cutaway. The images Phil had on his website, and the 3, or 4 of them I've seen out in the wild were all Florentine.

24" scale with a 4" body depth.

To my ears, with the 3rd and 4th courses in octaves (especially tuned like in the song above) it sounds more like a 12-string guitar than a Zouk.

Actually, of the handful Guitar-Bodied OM/Zouk family instruments I've played this one tends to sound more on the guitar-ish side than the others.

It definitely fills the room with a wonderful sound.

As far as I know, he isn't building them anymore, but ya' never know. You could always ask.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0372_zps5acab22a.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	200467 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0374_zpsc8edbe66.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	200466
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Apr-06-2022 at 7:13pm.