Thread: A mando orchestra what am a mando orchestra

Default A mando orchestra what am a mando orchestra

In this forum we often get videos of individuals. Here is an incredible orchestral performance from Tokyo:

"Main Festival" from "Roman Festivals" (Arranged by Respighi Hideyasu Endo) Arte Tokyo 2020 [Translation of Japanese from Google]

How I regret that they could not hear the applause from my living room!

Joe

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A mando orchestra what am a mando orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    In this forum we often get videos of individuals. Here is an incredible orchestral performance from Tokyo:

"Main Festival" from "Roman Festivals" (Arranged by Respighi Hideyasu Endo) Arte Tokyo 2020 [Translation of Japanese from Google]

How I regret that they could not hear the applause from my living room!

Joe
    ah...real, serious, but still fun CLASSICAL (ish) mandolin music.

this is a serious, special, not folksy side of mandolin music.

As a classically trained - but not a player of the most common classical instruments - this means a lot to me.

Thank you.

The correct translation could be Main Festival from Roman Festivals (Feste Romane) by Ottorino Respighi, arranged / directed? by Hideyasu Endo.

Thanks for the video, I love Japanese string orchestras

Wow. Pretty remarkable playing. I've actually played this work, but in the original orchestral setting (it's the only time I've had the opportunity to play with a large symphony orchestra). If they play the previous movement, the deliberate contrast of its solo mandolin part would be lost . . . unless they did something wacky like assign the mandolin part to a solo violin in context.

Very impressive! Is this a professional mandolin orchestra? They sound incredibly well rehearsed. Are there any professional mandolin orchestras?

For your convenience:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

For what it's worth, Respighi himself named this movement "La Befana," a witch-like old woman of Italian folklore. Because it's easier to copy-and-paste from Wikipedia than CD liner notes:

Piazza Navona in central Rome is the site of a popular market each year between Christmas and the Epiphany, where toys, sugar charcoal and other candies are on sale. . . . In Ottorino Respighi's 1928 Feste Romane ("Roman Festivals"), the fourth movement, titled La Befana, is an orchestral portrayal of this Piazza Navona festival. A common superstition is that at midnight when it turns January 6 the Befana shows herself in a window of Piazza Navona, and visitors often go there to observe this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befana#The_Befana_today

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I have never seen so many bowlbacks in one room at one time. Oh my! But the presence of so many guitars bothers me. Couldn't they have used mandocellos instead?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    But the presence of so many guitars bothers me. Couldn't they have used mandocellos instead?
    Guitars are almost universal to mandolin orchestras (as were banjos during the "golden era"). They offer some diversity of timbre, similar to separate string, woodwind, brass, etc. sections in conventional orchestras. Those to arrange for mandolin orchestra in the past went so far as to give mandolin-family instruments the string parts, wind to the guitars, and brass to the banjos. That said, this orchestra simply gave the woodwind parts to—well—to woodwinds.

Still, there is a pretty substantial mando-cello/mandoloncello section in the linked video. Watch for the camera to pan right (stage left).

12. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post: