Thread: RIP cafe member man_dough_nollij

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default RIP cafe member man_dough_nollij

I was surfing Reverb for mandolins when I read in this ones https://reverb.com/item/38082469-str...stadium-blonde description that the sellers Uncle (man_dough_nollij), who was a member here, had passed. Sorry for the loss.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/m...n-dough-nollij

Obligatory, NFI

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP cafe member man_dough_nollij

Thanks for posting this.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Oh, dear. Very sad. Whenever we lose a member, it's so sad. We are brought together here by our love for and fascination with the mandolin, its music, and various and sundry related aspects of life. Members of this community often develop relationships with others which reflect and evolve from these matters of import. So when one leaves us, the impact of this loss affects us, often deeply. I recall feeling this was a few years ago at the passing of Lee "Uncle Pen" Gwin.

I recall having had numerous interactions with man_dough_nollij over the years. So much so that we became friends, and as I see from his profile, I was one of but ten so honored with his friendship here. I also see that he had not logged in over six years, nor posted in over eight years. I wonder what had happened that he had lost contact with us here. I know life intrudes and attentions waver - I, myself, have spent less time here during the last few years, owing to my attention and interwebbing being directed elsewhere - but I can't help but wonder what was going on with him. I miss his humor, good nature, and occasional snarky observations.

Thank you for your time, thoughts, and humor, sir. May the angels carry you home. RIP. sir.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Yeah, Lee (man_dough_nollig) was an interesting character here on the Cafe. Like journeybear, I was also one of his Cafe friends. He lived in the Rockies and worked a few stints in Antarctica (with mandolin). I always enjoyed his posts and was shocked when he passed away seemingly in his 50s. If you’re the adventurous type, you might want to check out his old posts and blog. It’s also sad to see other Cafe members in Lee’s threads who have since passed away, a reminder of our short time here on this earth. RIP Lee.

6. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

His last activity was in 2014 according to his profile. perhaps he was sick for a while.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Yeah, Lee (man_dough_nollig) was an interesting character here on the Cafe. Like journeybear, I was also one of his Cafe friends. He lived in the Rockies and worked a few stints in Antarctica (with mandolin). I always enjoyed his posts and was shocked when he passed away seemingly in his 50s. If you’re the adventurous type, you might want to check out his old posts and blog. It’s also sad to see other Cafe members in Lee’s threads who have since passed away, a reminder of our short time here on this earth. RIP Lee.
    Thanks, Steve-o, for nudging my memory - which used to be more reliable, though I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. What I said earlier about comparing my reaction to this news to that of Lee Gwin's was all too appropriate, since they were the same person! It's been too long, and I forgot the association. Mea culpa! And since we were also facebook friends, I've been able to determine he passed on April 5, 2016. (Numerologists will see at a glance that 4/5/2016 is a date bursting with 9, the number of love.) So it makes sense that the notice of his mandolin being offered for sale would send up a flag, as seen here, but it is due to the passage of time since his passing, not to imply it was recent.

Here's a charming pic from his fb page of him and his beloved sister, Amy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee And Amy Gwin.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	191046

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

jb, I totally forgot this was Lee’s handle too. Wow, it’s been six years already.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

11. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Think of how touched he would be if he knew that some years after his passing, he was still remembered with fondness and respect by friends in this community.Six minutes? Six hours? Six months? Six years? You remember, so a part of him remains alive to us.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Donahue For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    You remember, so a part of him remains alive to us.
    Yes, there is truth in that. Everyone is mortal, but people live long after they're gone in the hearts, minds, and souls of those they touched in their lives. It's a sort of immortality, in which they live as long as those who remember them do. So although famous people, say The Beatles. will probably live forever because they touched so many peoples' lives and continue to do so down generations, regular people still live for a good long while after they're gone. You see right here, we've brought Lee back for a little while.

And Mandobar - it's been six years since we've heard from him here, but he passed four years ago - coming up to five in April. For whatever reason he stopped his involvement here. In fact, though his last login was in 2014, his last post was in 2012, so his disconnect goes back even further. It's all right, though, whatever the reason. I'm grateful for what he did contribute, as long as he did.

Blog Entries

Yes, indeed, there was a thread at his passing, thanks to Ted.

Also, part of his legacy here is the Ear Worm thread, one of the most fun threads. Could be that's where we met. That will live on, too.

16. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Yes, indeed, there was a thread at his passing, thanks to Ted.

Also, part of his legacy here is the Ear Worm thread, one of the most fun threads. Could be that's where we met. That will live on, too.
    Thanks for sharing the link. I did a search but used "man_dough_nollij" and nothing came up. When I saw his instrument(s) for sell and his nephew mentioned his involvement here I thought I would mention his passing. I'm glad it was brought up already.

Lee seemed like an interesting person and friend. I didn't know him, even virtually because I didn't join here until after his involvement ended. Rest in peace.

Blog Entries

No worries! I drew a blank at first, myself. It bespeaks the respect and affection with which he was treated by so many here to see it expressed again on this occasion. I'm glad to have had an opportunity to do so. He was a good man, by all accounts.

Back when Lee died this was posted. I didn't make the connection when it was first posted.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Penn-quot-Gwin
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

If you followed Lee's McMurdo Station Blog posts you read about his friends there. One of them Anthony Powell (Ant as Lee called him) made a great documentary "Antarctica: A Year on Ice" with footage from the period Lee was there. It was on Netflix this past summer when I watched it. I commend it to you all who fondly remember Lee.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

22. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post: