Thread: On The Hills Of Manchuria (I.A. Shatrov, 1906)

Default On The Hills Of Manchuria (I.A. Shatrov, 1906)

Ilya Alekseevich Shatrov (1879-1952): На сопках Маньчжурии / On The Hills Of Manchuria
    Arranged for mandolins by Evelyn Tiffany-Castilgioni.

This popular Russian waltz was written in 1906 to commemorate the Battle of Mukden in the Russo-Japanese War, in which the composer fought. Lyrics were added later by Stepan Skitalets, and the waltz became very popular as an orchestral piece and later a folk tune. There are lots of recorded examples on Youtube, in a vast variety of styles and tempi (slow dirge to fast Viennese waltz). Peter Ostroushko recorded a very nice mandolin version.

The original key was E-flat minor, but my mandolin version is in G minor, using parts of a mandolin quartet arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, from her "Big Book For Mandolins for the Year 2015", available from Amazon (NFI). I am using her second mandolin part and chord progression.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar.

Martin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: On The Hills Of Manchuria (I.A. Shatrov, 1906)

Mandoboys with Peter Ostroushko do a nice mandolin quartet version of this, thanks for brining it back around!
    I believe I shall dust it off and see if I can get the bluegrass jammers to give it a whirl
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Default Re: On The Hills Of Manchuria (I.A. Shatrov, 1906)

I've played a solo guitar arrangement of this tune that was published by a deceased friend of mine, Matanya, through his company Editions Orphée. Matanya knew I played wedding gigs. When he released his edition, he gave me a copy and introduced it as a waltz, "something you can play at weddings." . . . Which I thought was rather funny in its unintended irony: a dour Russian waltz written to commemorate deaths in a bitter battle as wedding music.

6. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post: