Thread: "The Loar" by Weber?

Default "The Loar" by Weber?

Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Default Re: "The Loar" by Weber?

It does look like a quality build, I know nothing about Weber building mandolins for the owner of the Loar name, but it sounds believable. Would like to see the instrument and try it, but my MAS is still in remission as far as a purchase.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I saw that a while back and thought... "I'm proud that my Weber is says "Weber" on it".

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

I’m hardware-oriented: bet those Phillips head screws weren’t there in Loar’s day, or (translucent plastic?) buttons. So, if it doesn’t sound like the original, and mostly looks like many current F-types, what is it, really? A reproduction, replica, model, or a tribute?
    Knowing that it really is a pre-production prototype for something that didn’t get produced makes it rare, but of interest to whom?
    But I’m not the right person to develop lust for such a thing; I’m one of the small minority that are put off by that style, and worse, sunbursts, and gratuitous bling.

Blog Entries

Sounds like it was made as a prototype or special thing for Greg Rich (who owns The Loar brand name).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I played that mandolin about 16-17 years ago when it was offered by the same seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    I’m hardware-oriented: bet those Phillips head screws weren’t there in Loar’s day, or (translucent plastic?) buttons. So, if it doesn’t sound like the original, and mostly looks like many current F-types, what is it, really? A reproduction, replica, model, or a tribute?
    Knowing that it really is a pre-production prototype for something that didn’t get produced makes it rare, but of interest to whom?
    But I’m not the right person to develop lust for such a thing; I’m one of the small minority that are put off by that style, and worse, sunbursts, and gratuitous bling.
    Those are Schaller tuners, made in Germany, and used by Gibson and just about everyone else at the time this was built. Greg Rich, formerly of Gibson banjo fame is a well known member of the musical community and was most likely looking for a source to expand his marketing at the time. His company owns The Loar brand name as well as Recording King brand name (https://themusiclink.com/). He's a really interesting and nice guy. There's nothing unusual about these really with the exception of who built them for who. That is where the interest lies. Weber didn't do a whole lot of private label building so I'm guessing that Greg and Bruce came to an agreement. This does look like a nice instrument and it's really not over the top. That's pretty normal "Fern" attire.

Here's a mandola from 1924. The mandolin would have been similar.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber