Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Default Re: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    Still fairly new to mandolin, so still going through that “pick experimentation phase”

Curious about the Primetone picks. I get it, about the 2 different shapes, one more rounded, one pointier. I also get it how you can get a standard size, or a smaller.
    I even understand the 2 forms of the same material, since many have talked about the differences in sound.

What I am asking/wondering about is the different thicknesses offered?

Primetones are 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5. Could there really be that much difference between these? I’ve ordered a couple, unfortunately you have to buy 3 at a time. Would be great if you could get a 3-pack, 1 of each thickness.
    Figure out what you like, then order more.

I’m just wondering what one might expect going from a 1.3 to a 1.4? Not really trying to be facetious, just wondering if there is any justification trying a different thickness?
    Well, I have a primetone 1.5 and if you will pm me with your address I will send it to you free ! Only used several times to find out I don't care for it ! You may !

Yes, my order from them is supposed to arrive today (wringing hands)

Your pic is kinda fuzzy Zach, is that a Jim Dunlop on the left? Actually, let us know what you think of all of them, if you don’t mind.

Sue- which Wegen is that?

Your pic is kinda fuzzy Zach, is that a Jim Dunlop on the left? Actually, let us know what you think of all of them, if you don’t mind.

The Wegen is TF120. On Zach's recommendation
    I also got a Primetone 1.4 Grip pick, which I like, too, but maybe not as much.

My problem as I am learning to strum my mandolin and not hold my pick in a death grip, is the pick is rotating between my fingers. Was hoping these would help with that, and so far they seem to. Just got them yesterday, though.

Thanks for the offer Yankees1, I’m covered in the 1.5. Actually, thanks to the generosity of a couple others (Charles and Steve) along with the order coming today I have a pretty good variety of Primetone picks. Also getting a Jim Dunlop Americana, and a Wegen.

I hear ya Sue. It’s amazing to me to watch the relaxed right hand of Baron on Mandolessons. Watching that, then playing while just focusing on the right hand, not even worrying about the left, has been helping me tremendously

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    After reading this thread, I bought some new picks as well as some strings from Strings and Beyond. I didn't get a sticker though

(Zach, I bought your Wegen pick that you like for strumming, because I'm working on strumming. I like it. I think it's my new favorite.)
    Oh, no! It's a really cool sticker too! It went right on one of my cases

The Wegen TF120 is my favorite pick on all my mandolins.

First impressions of thhe picks in my pic that I just received...

D'Addario Acrylux 1.5mm- it reminds me of a Dawg pic in scape and I like the mellowish tone. Good thickness.

TUSQ "warm tone" ivory bi-angle 1mm- it sounds very bright for being called "warm tone". I don't like that. I can't imagine what the bright one sounds like! However, this is the "stickiest" pick I've ever held, which is good. Its loud and easy to grip and that's good for jams. Feels a tad thin.

Dunlop Americana triangle (thickness unknown)- it's really, really thick. I have no way of measuring it and I don't have anything to compare it to. It's weird using it cause it's so thick. The tone is full- good and it is easy to hold... there is a lot to hold on to.

Still wringing my hands, watching out the window lol.
    I thought that was an Americana, I have one in this order, looking really forward to trying it. I think I read where it’s about 3mm

This order never showed up, hopefully it will on Saturday. The tracking said out for delivery, but never made it

This order never showed up, hopefully it will on Saturday. The tracking said out for delivery, but never made it
    Normal delivery for USPS !

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

My delivery was initially scheduled for Jan 11th, it got pushed back to the 13th, read out for delivery on the 14th, and I finally received it yesterday (Jan 15th). It was only some picks... nothing time sensitive. And, like Yankees said, this is fairly common for USPS in my area.

I have gone through the picks like you have. I have settled on the Donlop1.5 . I find it helps me with the tremo and it is easy to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    D'Addario Acrylux 1.5mm- it reminds me of a Dawg pic in scape and I like the mellowish tone. Good thickness.

TUSQ "warm tone" ivory bi-angle 1mm- it sounds very bright for being called "warm tone". I don't like that. I can't imagine what the bright one sounds like! However, this is the "stickiest" pick I've ever held, which is good. Its loud and easy to grip and that's good for jams. Feels a tad thin.

Dunlop Americana triangle (thickness unknown)- it's really, really thick. I have no way of measuring it and I don't have anything to compare it to. It's weird using it cause it's so thick. The tone is full- good and it is easy to hold... there is a lot to hold on to.
    I'll have to check out that Acrylux; I hardly ever stray from Dunlop.

I had a similar reaction to the Americana. What a bizarre pick! It is quite thick, but then it tapers off substantially. The surface texture kind of reminds me of the Jazztones, which IMO have a better feel overall.
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light
    Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14 mm

IG: @standing.wav

Quote Originally Posted by standing.wav View Post
    I'll have to check out that Acrylux; I hardly ever stray from Dunlop.

I had a similar reaction to the Americana. What a bizarre pick! It is quite thick, but then it tapers off substantially. The surface texture kind of reminds me of the Jazztones, which IMO have a better feel overall.
    I think those Americana's only come in 3.0mm if I remember correctly.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I just recv'd a pack of the 1.3 rounded picks and like them a lot. I ordered some 1.5 picks (same shape) today because I'm apparently back on a pick experimenting kick. I used to have a nice stash of the smooth rounded Primetones and they are much different than the grippy ones (I think the smooth ones have more pick noise than the grippers, and they appear to be made of a completely different material).

Over the years I've tried a bunch of different picks but seem to always end up going back to Fender heavies, using the rounded shoulder. I had a BC when they first came out (reg guitar pick shape and I was using the rounded corner). The CT55 has my interest but I'm not ready to take the $35 plunge (again).

Actually- the two Primetones (smooth and grippy) use the same material, just two different manufacturing processes, that’s what I learned here anyway.

I have been going through a lot of different shapes, grippy and smooth, and picks from other manufacturers as well...
    I am really liking the grippy, rounded 1.3 as well.

Still waiting on that order to show up. Looking forward to trying the Americana that’s in it. There is also a smooth, rounded Primetone in it.

Yup. Thanks to whoever posted about them, but I ordered a pack of Americanas. After thinking the 1.5 Primetone was my new pick of choice I'm now leaning towards these. Love the feel and definitely some unique tonal qualities. I'm sold on them for my octave and how they settle down the e strings. I'm not yet decided on the mandolin - they have a very warm tone with less volume with single string picking, but very nice for tremelo, crosspicking, and strumming. Will it ever end?
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Nope, no end in sight. I’ll agree though, I really like the Americana as well. Definitely feels great, helps me to keep the hand relaxed for sure

Common for USPS this time of year !

You have got that right, we are still getting Christmas cards that were sent in early December!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Hey all!

Just found this thread….

Any idea if Primetone makes the pointer triangle in 1.5 without the bevel? I really like the picks in general, but don’t like the bevel much.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    Hey all!

Just found this thread….

Any idea if Primetone makes the pointer triangle in 1.5 without the bevel? I really like the picks in general, but don’t like the bevel much.
    I've reshaped quite a few of these to remove the bevel (which is good only for plyers who strike string with pick at severe angle). I lay pick against string almost parallel so I don't like it.
    All it takes is three strokes of file held at 45 degrees to surface of the pick along the flat side of each beveled edge and then following with wet sandpaper from 280 up to 1200 grit to create symmetrical crossection of edge. Takes 5 minutes if you are handy with files and sanding/polishing. You can buff with polishing compound on cloth but after 1200 or 2000 grit it is really not necessary for tone, just for looks.
    Adrian