Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Default Re: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael H Geimer View Post
    I also like the Dunlop 494P102 Americana, but mostly just to hold in the hand as a 'worry stone'.
    Wait....

1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Any one in the UK currently looking at Primetones should check out Richtone Music (Sheffield - + mailorder). By way of example, they have these at £5.95 for 3 - https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/prod...-picks-3-pack/ - in the sale and there are others.

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Bren 

No need to buy packs of three. I order individual picks through Strings by Mail.

I've tried out a lot of different picks, and every time I try new strings, I go through all my picks again to get a sense for the string/pick combinations.

Primetones are consistently my favorite picks, especially the Jazz III XL shape in 1.4 mm, and the large triangle in 1.4 or 1.5 mm. You'd be surprised by the difference 0.1 mm makes, but it really comes down to personal preference.

Happy experimenting!
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light
    Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14 mm

IG: @standing.wav

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll have to look into String by Mail

For this Mando newbie who uses tiny Eric Johnson Jazz III picks for guitar, the 1.4 and 1.5 have been really good for me.

Thanks again Standing Wave. I did look into Strings be Mail, and yes in deed, they sell picks individually. Hats off to them.

Though it makes sense to sell picks in a pack, to people who know what they want, it makes even more sense for somebody to offer them individually, so somebody can figure out what they like.

I see a Wegen in the future.... for curiosity’s sake.

I’ll say, that out of several picks that I have tried so far, I DEFINITELY get the best tone using a Primetone. Unfortunately, it is the small. I’m really looking forward to messing around with the larger versions.

Joe, I included a Wegen in the second envelope I sent. Hopefully you will get them in a timely manner.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Geez! Just Buy & Try them ... its not like buying a new car.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    The Wegan TF120 is my favorite pick.

Sorry mandroid, buying an Eastman 314 recently was like buying a car to me. So, I guess not all are as fortunate as you.....

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Charles, very much!

12. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    Thanks again Standing Wave. I did look into Strings be Mail, and yes in deed, they sell picks individually. Hats off to them.

Though it makes sense to sell picks in a pack, to people who know what they want, it makes even more sense for somebody to offer them individually, so somebody can figure out what they like.

I’ll say, that out of several picks that I have tried so far, I DEFINITELY get the best tone using a Primetone. Unfortunately, it is the small. I’m really looking forward to messing around with the larger versions.
    I just tried the Wegen Dipper in 1.2 mm, and it's pretty great! I'll probably try it in 1.4 as well.

I've also tried all three thicknesses of the Wegen "mandolin" picks (M100, M150, and M200), but they're less my style.
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light
    Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14 mm

IG: @standing.wav

That’s interesting. Because I have that Wegen “mandolin” pick in my sights. I’m thinking I might really like it.

I’m still fairly new, but up to this point I seem to favor the more rounded picks.

I strum often, and do not chop like most do. The strumming sounds harsh with pointier picks, and softer? with the more rounded variety.

The only way to know is buy. Reviews and opinions mean nothing. What one loves the other hates. I've tried about every brand there is, didn't care for Primetone or Wegen but then that's me and means nothing. I normally use a Fender heavy, EML casein or V-Pick traditional lite 1.5mm each and always play with shoulder on mandolin or guitar which also means nothing except to me. People say, oh I don't like this or that brand pick because it makes a clicking sound, well they must have better ears than me which isn't hard since I hear a lot of tinnitus ringing anyway but a BC I have clicks just as much as any others to me and no the V-Picks don't wear out fast, that's bull-malarky, I have 2 or 3 I've been using on acoustic, electric and mandolin for years.
    Last edited by CBFrench; Jan-09-2021 at 12:47am. Reason: spelling

I think the Primetones are a really good pick and a great first attempt by Dunlop to enter the "custom" pick market. They play and sound very close to a Bluechip IMO.

I'm surprised they haven't taken the next step to the $25.00 / $35.00 range, but they may not see enough market share left, at this point.

The "Pick Wars" are nearly as much fun as the "Chicken Sandwich Wars".
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    The only way to know is buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    I think the Primetones are a really good pick and a great first attempt by Dunlop to enter the "custom" pick market. They play and sound very close to a Bluechip IMO.
    Not so much "custom" as maybe "boutique". But that might be mincing words.

As said above... your test is is the only way you will know if you like pick A over pick B. To me, PrimeTones don't even come close to the sweet tones, easy glide, and nice grip of my BC. Worth the money? It was gifted to me, so I'm not sure, since I didn't have to take that hit in my bank account.

I like the Wegan M100 but not for strumming. I like it for lighter play... tremolo stuff. Your results may be different. For strumming I like the TF120.

Picks are relatively inexpensive. Try them all! Sell the expensive one you don't like and pass the cheaper ones around to other tone seekers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Not so much "custom" as maybe "boutique". But that might be mincing words.

As said above... your test is is the only way you will know if you like pick A over pick B. To me, PrimeTones don't even come close to the sweet tones, easy glide, and nice grip of my BC. Worth the money? It was gifted to me, so I'm not sure, since I didn't have to take that hit in my bank account.

I like the Wegan M100 but not for strumming. I like it for lighter play... tremolo stuff. Your results may be different. For strumming I like the TF120.

Picks are relatively inexpensive. Try them all! Sell the expensive one you don't like and pass the cheaper ones around to other tone seekers.
    True, but in at least one of my bands, they prefer the tone from the PrimeTone over a similar BC. Don't know why.

As to Wegen, have had a love/hate relationship with them since the Bluegrass model came out. There are times I love the tone, and others when I despise it for being too "raspy" and the picks can slip in my hands. That said - my mahogany records well with a TF140 and have been using the BG100 on it more and more.

So keep trying and you'll eventually find what you like.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    True, but in at least one of my bands, they prefer the tone from the PrimeTone over a similar BC. Don't know why.

As to Wegen, have had a love/hate relationship with them since the Bluegrass model came out. There are times I love the tone, and others when I despise it for being too "raspy" and the picks can slip in my hands. That said - my mahogany records well with a TF140 and have been using the BG100 on it more and more.

So keep trying and you'll eventually find what you like.
    The PrimeTone is too tiny for me and lacks power. It is loud, but that's not really what I'm going for. There isn't enough "character" or "body" to it.

I agree with the 'raspy-ness' found in Wegan picks (all models for me). However, I like that sound (it's full with lots if colour) and I even lower my action a bit to get more of it... not necessarily fret buzz... only a slight buzz when driven hard. I too have been liking the BG100.

Edit:

I totally forgot to mention that the PrimeTone .96 (351 shape) is my go-to-fave for acoustic guitar and the Wegan BG100 is not. Weird.
    Last edited by Zach Wilson; Jan-09-2021 at 12:20pm.

20. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I just got a primetone small tringle 1.3 and was very surprised how close it sounded to my BC TPR 45 that i normally use. The primetone was not quite as sweat sounding but very close. Also I noticed the primetone seems to cut though the strings a little easier then my BC. Not sure if this is because the primetone is a little pointier or material. Either way, for the price difference, I think its worth it to give the primetone a shot.

Yes, I haven’t played with a BC, but the Primetone has been delivering me a tone and playability superior to many other picks that I have tried.... and the list is getting really long. But it’s been both fun and rewarding

23. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post:

I’m fond of the 346 shape Primetone, but they’re more slippery to hold than a BC. But the Radex, same shape in the 1 mm, is very suitable. Wears a bit more quickly than a Primetone. BCs as fairly indestructible in my hand.

Ymmv
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I’m impressed so far with the service from Strings By Mail. Now I get to try out some new picks. Wish I’d thought to include a Wegen in the mix, will have to add that if I make another order.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24BBD2DD-79E4-4064-B37C-363AB669C14E.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	191250

Good for you, NDO. You’ll have to let us know your thoughts after trying them out.

So far I really like the medium triangle smooth 1.3 and the large grip triangle 1.5 that I’ve tried. I thought the small pointy 1.5 was a little bright. The large smooth triangle 1.4 and 1.5 were nice, but I had a bit of pick noise when I plugged in to the PA for a song with the big 1.5 and I didn’t take the time yet to chase down whether it was the pick or because I used a wireless transmitter instead of a cable that I had used the other day with no noise issues with a different pick. I’ve never encountered differences between cable and wireless when using my harmonica mikes but I haven’t played the mando through the PA much yet to experiment.

Kind of off topic but I’d underestimated how much different it was playing while singing into a vocal mike. I’m very comfortable with mikes in general from using a vocal mike stand and a hand mike on my harmonicas and vocals but managing the mandolin while keeping my head still at a mike wasn’t as natural as I expected. I figured I’d better practice it a bit before venues open up and we start gigging instead of just acoustic jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by standing.wav View Post
    No need to buy packs of three. I order individual picks through Strings by Mail.
    From your recommendation I made an order from Strings and Beyond for a couple "cheaper" picks. Shipping was quick, nice extras! Came in time for some picking this weekend!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210115_143521.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	859.0 KB 
ID:	191323
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

After reading this thread, I bought some new picks as well as some strings from Strings and Beyond. I didn't get a sticker though

(Zach, I bought your Wegen pick that you like for strumming, because I'm working on strumming. I like it. I think it's my new favorite.)