Thread: Musiccompo in Hong Kong Carbon Fiber mandolin cases

Default Musiccompo in Hong Kong Carbon Fiber mandolin cases

Has anyone gotten any of these relatively new Carbon fiber cases yet? I have emailed them a few times and didn't have good communication and was "iffy" about pursuing a case. It would be nice if some company would order a few and sell here in the states.

Default Re: Musiccompo in Hong Kong Carbon Fiber mandolin cases

Quote Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
    Has anyone gotten any of these relatively new Carbon fiber cases yet? I have emailed them a few times and didn't have good communication and was "iffy" about pursuing a case. It would be nice if some company would order a few and sell here in the states.

https://www.musiccompo.com/carbon-fi...r-Case-Natural

Their prices look very good for carbon fiber. It would be interesting to see one in person. Please keep us informed. Thanks.

They do look quite nice and at a very good price. I would want to see some reviews before purchasing. If they are indeed carbon fiber (there is fake stuff out there) you should be able to stand on top of it. Also, fit is important. There was a thread here a while back about a very expensive mandolin shipped in a Calton for fretwork and it was damaged quite badly in shipping. The fact they are not good about email and "iffy" is a red flag to me. The whole thing could be a scam.

When Amazon lists them I might bite.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Yep. I have one carbon fiber and two fiber glass cases from them. Excellent quality, but long lead times. They are mostly an OEM company, hence the long lead times for individual cases which have to be fitted into their manufacturing runs. I also wish someone would make it easier.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

7. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Peter I recall that you mentioned the fiberglass case will fit a tone Gard and the carbon fiber won't,please correct me if I'm wrong.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Mandolin & Mandola maker

One fiberglass case is bigger than the other. The bigger one is not their standard size, it was a special order that was cancelled, so no a toneguard will not fit.

Two years ago, I wrote the following:
    I started a thread on those cases about a year ago:https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ic-Compo-Cases
    I own one of those. Of course, they are not as sturdy as Caltons, Pegasus, Price and the like. But they are light weight and small, and they fit into most any overhead bin on planes. Major disadvantage is that they didn't expect a mandolin to have a pick guard. It somehow fits, but there's a little pressure on the pg bracket.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-13-2021 at 4:16pm. Reason: correcting broken link

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Major disadvantage is that they didn't expect a mandolin to have a pick guard.
    I have not noticed any pickguard problem with my Gilchrist Model 3C nor my own A5 in the carbon fiber case. Both have pickguards.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    I have not noticed any pickguard problem with my Gilchrist Model 3C nor my own A5 in the carbon fiber case. Both have pickguards.
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I came to my conclusion by (alternatively) trying to put a vintage Loar-signed F5 and two recent Gibson Master Models into my Musiccompo case. The instruments did, indeed, fit, but the lid put pressure on the pick guard; too much for my taste. The company in Hong Kong used an older non-pick guard Kentucky brand (KM 1000, I believe) for their layout.

Blog Entries

Their cases for F or A have different pads. It appears that F style case might be having Pick guard problem.
    My fiber case which made of China have a pads on lid of case, so could not close the lid. As for the case for A style, it has a square pads on center of lid.
    It had better that you see webpage of Musiccompo case once again.
    You can see the difference.