Thread: CHORO: Jovino Santos Neto Lectures in Jan

Thumbs up CHORO: Jovino Santos Neto Lectures in Jan

Wanted to alert anyone interested in learning more about Choro. I've heard Jovino on numerous occasions and he is superb. Will be a great way to better understand this original Brazilian music.

From Jovino:

I wish all of you a healthy and creative 2021, and I also know that music will be a major part of our lives in the new year. It is the source of balance, harmony and understanding that we need. This is the time for all of us to be active doing what enriches our souls. For me, that is the process of learning and sharing music in its many forms.

I am starting 2021 with a new online workshop: The Language of Choro. In this series of three weekly Saturday Zoom sessions, I will share with participants how a unique musical language created in Rio de Janeiro in the 1860s evolved, adapted and continues to thrive worldwide. We’ll meet the pioneers, the developers, the innovators and the keepers of the flame of choro as we travel through more than 150 years of music history.

In each 2-hour session I will share recordings, documents, scores and many stories about this musical genre that combines European musical structures with African rhythmic esthetics, resulting in a powerful Brazilian sound that continues to attract musicians and listeners of all ages and became the basis of many other contemporary Brazilian genres. The music will be heard and discussed within the social, political and cultural contexts of the times.

This class is designed not just for musicians, but for anyone who loves the music of Brazil.

All sessions happen on Saturdays in January from 10AM to noon Pacific time. They will be recorded, and participants will have access to the recorded material in audio and video as well as extra resources.

Session 1 – January 16 – the birth of choro as a unique blend of disparate sources. Street choro and parlor choro as basic types. The musical pioneers of the 19th century.

Session 2 – January 23 – the evolution of choro as it gathers wider influences and grows through the first half of the 20th century.

Session 3 – January 30 – recent developments and future trends as choro expands worldwide.

If you are interested, we still have spots available. Sign up at https://www.jovisan.net/the-language-of-choro.html

I am also available for private lessons and music coaching sessions. Check out my website for more details.

Happy New Year, and let’s keep the dream of a better world alive!
    Obrigado,
    Jovino

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jovino Picture.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	191092
    Al in PT

2. The following members say thank you to Al Bergstein for this post:

DSDarr