Thread: Avi Avital's new CD reviewed in Grampophone

Default Avi Avital's new CD reviewed in Grampophone

Avi Avital's recent CD, The Art of the Mandolin, receives a very positive review in the current (January 2021) issue of Gramophone. I won't quote all four paragraphs but the review begins:

"Avi Avital, incomparable artist of and advocate for the mandolin, here presents a multifaceted portrait of an instrument 'at once familiar and unknown'. It's also a veritable paean to plucked strings, celebrating the happy union of mandolin, guitar, theorbo, harp and harpsichord. The resulting variety of colours and textures is just one of the innumerable pleasures of this recording."

I think it's always a good thing when the classical music press recognizes the mandolin as a 'legitimate' instrument and this review is a great example of that. Avi is indeed a powerful advocate for the mandolin and I can almost see Norman Levine smiling as he reads this review.

Also, a few months ago, Gramophone included a positive review of the latest Goat Rodeo recording. In that issue they even ran a short special interview with Chris about his Loar. It's good to see our instrument noticed this way.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post: