Thread: Morgan Monroe f style setting bridge

Default Morgan Monroe f style setting bridge

Hello there everybody From Milan Italy

While changing strings of my beloved mandolin, I made the mistake of not keep the bridge at its place and it went loose ,I managed to put it back at its place thanks to marks on top but I m not sure it is there where it was previously , how can I put it back in the right position ?

https://i.postimg.cc/9M1nGSSM/IMG20210103152859.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wBrSPn2G/IMG20210103161008.jpg

Thanks
    Last edited by Marco Mancini; Jan-03-2021 at 10:13am.

Default Re: Morgan Monroe f style setting bridge

Mandolins are fussy instruments and if the action goes up or down due to humidity fluctuations it can change the intonation. Tune your mandolin up and play the harmonic at the 12th fret, now fret the note at the 12th fret. They should be the same. Use a tuner if you have an accurate one. If the fretted note is sharp to the harmonic move the bridge towards the tailpiece, flat move it toward the tuners. Each time you move the bridge retune your mandolin. Some folks don't like to move the bridge under tension and use only the G and E strings up to tension so the bridge moves easier. I don't think this is as accurate, others tune the string down some to move the bridge, wearing out the strings prematurely. I move the bridge under tension one side at a time and only small increments.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Do I manage to move it under tension without scratching the top? That is what I'm fearing the most of tho'

Thanks

That will depend on the fit of the bridge foot to the top and the type of finish. There was a thread about the Dawg playing a mandolin in a music store and burped the bridge to intonate the mandolin. This will be your choice. You can tune the strings down some if you are worried, then tune back up to check. After several times doing this you may want to replace your strings, do that one at a time and you shouldn't have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Mandolins are fussy instruments and if the action goes up or down due to humidity fluctuations it can change the intonation. Tune your mandolin up and play the harmonic at the 12th fret, now fret the note at the 12th fret. They should be the same. Use a tuner if you have an accurate one. If the fretted note is sharp to the harmonic move the bridge towards the tailpiece, flat move it toward the tuners. Each time you move the bridge retune your mandolin. Some folks don't like to move the bridge under tension and use only the G and E strings up to tension so the bridge moves easier. I don't think this is as accurate, others tune the string down some to move the bridge, wearing out the strings prematurely. I move the bridge under tension one side at a time and only small increments.

Hello there I seemed to have managed to do that or at least to improve intonations differences, but one bigger question mark remains, is it normal that some little differences of intonations remains between the open string, the harmonic at the twelve fret , and the fretted note at the twelve? Or do they all have to stay in the perfect pitch measured with a tuner?.

Thanks

If there are differences I would use the open string and the fretted note at the 12th fret.

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If there are differences I would use the open string and the fretted note at the 12th fret.
    What he said ^^^^^