Thread: Looking for instruction

Default Looking for instruction

Hello mandolin Cafe! My name is Matt and I've been playing mandolin for about 6 years now, I'm looking for some lessons. I've taught myself thus far and am decent at the mandolin. I want to get a more structured experience though. The style of mandolin I play I would loosely call folk. I love to write my own songs and pretty much use the mandolin for that. Other than that I jam mostly rock. If I had to choose what I would like to learn, I would choose the Irish style of songwriting, be able to work with waltzes better, to understand rythym mandolin and have a better understanding of music theory and how songs come together. In the end I'd like to become a better songwriter.

Does anyone know a good instructor that may be able to teach online lessons and could help me with my broad desire to better my musicianship?

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you for taking the time to read it!

Default Re: Looking for instruction

Since no one has responded, a good source for private lessons is probably the MC lessons classifieds:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin...rmat=headlines

Online there's a lot of options, range from free (MandoLessons.com, David Benedict, or MandoMike.com) to paid (ArtistWorks, Peghead Nation, BanjoBen, etc).

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I didn't see this when you first posted it. The combination of songwriting, rhythm, music theory, mandolin and Irish music in a teacher is probably not very common. You may have to separate these out.

But remember that professional musicians may have more time on their hands at the moment with the impossibility of gigging and touring. Many of them have started or intensified online lessons since the first lockdown, and it's definitely worth checking your favourite artists' web sites about whether they offer online teaching. That's how I started having lessons from Marla Fibish (web site www.marlafibish.com), who would certainly be able to help with some of your interests.

Good luck with your search!

When you say "irish style of songwriting" are you talking about songs with words or are you talking about tunes? - Echoing the recommendation above, Marla Fibish would be able to help you with both tune playing and song playing, and theory as well, she's a great teacher! FYI here is Ye Vagabonds, a duo from Ireland who I highly recommend, playing a tune, and then Brķan, one of the brothers in the duo, playing a song.

Tune:

Song:

2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jill, Ye Vagabonds sound great! Those mandolins really sing. I'll check them out, thanks for the idea.

7. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Check out Chase Arbogast, his info is in the classifieds,
    very reasonable rates.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

I signed up for Marla's class on peghead nation, it was initially a bit harder for me so I also then signed up for the beginner mandolin with Sharon Gilchrist. I really enjoy Peghead nation for lessons but you really have to be diligent. I can go weeks without signing in when I get busy with work then one day I'm thinking darn did it again. The sign in and take up where I left off. I guess it is at least worth checking out. I do not regret it for one minute.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I'm using Erin Woolf off the classifieds. She gives the first lesson free. She has a wonderful personality, very knowledgeable, excellent resume, and is a great instructor. Her rates are very reasonable. I don't think you will be disappointed.

been playing for 20 some years, recently took a Skype lesson with Wayne Benson ( I am going back for more)- Wayne's World of Mandolin on you tube, I have taken the Artists Works for 1 year, it was a lot to digest in relatively short periods of time (not that there is a time limit but you want to get your money's worth while enrolled), I'm not discouraging anyone from Artist works it is a good value, just wasn't right for me at the time. I had a few other lessons from some very well known mandolinists, so far for me at least Wayne's style is the most effective.
    He is very into "how" is the tune-or melody- or chord progression constructed, what is the underlying or implied ( or out front) harmony, how can a mandolin player mechanically and efficiently achieve this on the instrument. So he is very much a theory teacher, to me in a way that is very relatable and practical.
    I believe he is open to all levels.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    ... been playing for 20 some years, recently took a Skype lesson with Wayne Benson ( I am going back for more)- Wayne's World of Mandolin on you tube ...
    I recently took a handful of lessons (via Skype) with Wayne also. He is very good and very knowledgeable. We worked on theory, technique and some specific solos. I had my most recent lesson last week and I'm taking a break to assimilate it all. He did mention that his schedule is getting quite full.

He has a bunch of video lessons on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJ...7ELyhh1Yhs6-7Q