Thread: Tips for bending/fitting the F5 bottom point rib piece?

Default Tips for bending/fitting the F5 bottom point rib piece?

I am still a novice working on tuning my build process for F5s, and I could use some tips or suggestions for fitting the smallest rib piece at the bottom point.

I am using a heat blanket combined with an inner mold for bending the long (scroll) rib and outer molds for bending the head block (S-curve) rib and long rib between the points. I fit them together with the block set inside an outer mold for glue up. But for the tiny piece of side on the underside of the bottom point, I taped a temporary "spacer" piece during glue up so I can then remove that spacer later and specifically fit that tiny piece so the joints match up just right... I understand some builders use this approach.

Whether you build your mandolins this way or some other way, I'm wondering how you bend and then fit that part. It has a gradual curve to it (to my eye maybe a 4" or 5" radius?). So I was considering just pipe bending a small piece to that radius, cut it slightly longer than necessary then use a small plane to dial in the joints.

Curious how everyone else does this. Thanks.

Default Re: Tips for bending/fitting the F5 bottom point rib piece?

I hot pipe everything. I'd have a block with the outer radius to clamp it to overnight before cutting it to fit.

Thank you, Rob. I have the clamping block all ready to go.
    I think my mistake thus far is that I first cut the piece then attempt to bend it. It's too small. I guess I need to bend a longer piece then cut a section off of that...

I bend the rim pieces a little long so I have bent cut-offs. I just make sure at least one of those is the correct radius for the bottom point. I fit the piece and glue the whole rim at once in an outside form after first making sure I have a good fit by doing a couple of dry runs.
    (BTW I bend on a hot pipe.)

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

I do like John and usually bend the very end of the longest rib a bit more curved so the offcut will fit the point block.
    But I glue the rib piece to the block before assembly. Then I trim the rib and use that whole in my inside form. Much easier than fitting it all at the same time.
    There are several folks doing it like this and we all use some sort of clamping fixture for the piece. It consists of two parts, one has deep v notch to hold the block and the counterpiece has the exact radius of the rib to be clamped. I don't have a pic of that but I've seen some posted here on MC or on internet.
    Adrian

7. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Another reason for leaving them long if you are hot pipe bending is to have something to hold on to as you bend. Otherwise you are left with a flat near the end of the curve.

That's one of the only pieces I still bend on a hot pipe, because it's really fast. Like Adrian, I glue that piece to the block first, putting the longer adjacent treble-side piece in dry to keep the block from rotating when I clamp it up.

10. The following members say thank you to amowry for this post: