Thread: Bluegrass Lessons in Northwest Arkansas--Especially Fiddle

Default Bluegrass Lessons in Northwest Arkansas--Especially Fiddle

We've just moved from St. Louis to Bella Vista in Northwest Arkansas. We're a family of 10 and enjoy learning bluegrass together and playing out as a family band in nursing homes and such (at least pre-covid!). In St. Louis, we went for guitar, banjo, mandolin, and band performance lessons to the wonderfully talented teacher Chris Talley Armstrong at the Bluegrass Shack in New Athens, IL.

I'm wondering if anybody knows what the bluegrass scene is like in NWA, at least when it's not stifled by a pandemic. In particular, while we're continuing with our old teacher by Zoom for guitar, banjo, and band performance, my two fiddle-playing daughters need a teacher here in the area. If anyone has any leads, we'd much appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks!

Barry Smith

Default Re: Bluegrass Lessons in Northwest Arkansas--Especially Fiddle

Springfield is a bit of a haul but the Chapmans have The Acoustic Shoppe and offer lessons and they are all amazing players and great teachers.

https://www.theacousticshoppe.com/
    "...got time to breathe, got time for music" - Briscoe Darling

Barry Smith

Weber Road Dog, Gibson F5G
    Atkin White-Rice
    1965 Martin D18
    1990 Martin HD28
    Too many others

Although I don't live there and haven't for many years, I do have connections to that part of Arkansas. Because I have connections, I notice when there are posts here about NW Arkansas. Based on my feeble memory , I do remember seeing posts on the Cafe about jams in NW Arkansas. I do not remember whether they were in Fayetteville, Springdale or Rogers, but if you do a search here on the Cafe, hopefully you can resurrect those threads and locate some like minded folks in your new area.

Good luck!

That looks like a great shop! Maybe a bit of a haul, but maybe I can get up there sometime. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like a great shop! Maybe a bit of a haul, but maybe I can get up there sometime. Thanks, Barry!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SOMorris View Post
    Although I don't live there and haven't for many years, I do have connections to that part of Arkansas. Because I have connections, I notice when there are posts here about NW Arkansas. Based on my feeble memory , I do remember seeing posts on the Cafe about jams in NW Arkansas. I do not remember whether they were in Fayetteville, Springdale or Rogers, but if you do a search here on the Cafe, hopefully you can resurrect those threads and locate some like minded folks in your new area.

Good luck!
    Sounds promising! Thanks!

I live in Rogers and have been in Northwest Arkansas all my life (40 years minus 4 years in the USAF). I used to work for Janet Davis Music in Bella Vista which specialized in bluegrass instruments (has since closed down). There are a couple bluegrass jams in the area during normal times. It's not quite as active here as it has been in the past. Teachers wise, I know some folks in the area that used to teach bluegrass, but again not as accessible as it used to be. Wish I had better info for you. I do think lessons via zoom/Skype or other online lesson platforms are probably your best option these days. I've got a lot of mileage out of those in the last year.

My dad was born and raised in Evansville, AR, which I know is west (on the state line) but I’m not sure how far north. I was able to visit it some years ago and it has about five buildings as I recall (it takes about eight seconds to drive through “town!”). And a tiny old cemetery where I have some long-lost relatives. Is that anywhere near you? And I can pretty much assure you there ain’t no mandolin stores in Evansville...
    That’s all I got!

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    I live in Rogers and have been in Northwest Arkansas all my life (40 years minus 4 years in the USAF). I used to work for Janet Davis Music in Bella Vista which specialized in bluegrass instruments (has since closed down). There are a couple bluegrass jams in the area during normal times. It's not quite as active here as it has been in the past. Teachers wise, I know some folks in the area that used to teach bluegrass, but again not as accessible as it used to be. Wish I had better info for you. I do think lessons via zoom/Skype or other online lesson platforms are probably your best option these days. I've got a lot of mileage out of those in the last year.
    Wow, you're close by! I've used some of Janet Davis's materials; too bad we missed her and her shop. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
    My dad was born and raised in Evansville, AR, which I know is west (on the state line) but I’m not sure how far north. I was able to visit it some years ago and it has about five buildings as I recall (it takes about eight seconds to drive through “town!”). And a tiny old cemetery where I have some long-lost relatives. Is that anywhere near you? And I can pretty much assure you there ain’t no mandolin stores in Evansville...
    That’s all I got!
    Actually, not too far! I just google mapped it; about an hour and 15 minutes. For some reason, it hasn't come across our radar yet! Maybe we'll be that way someday.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandosopher for this post: