Thread: "What's That Sound?" Del McCoury jam

Default "What's That Sound?" Del McCoury jam

Just ran across this on YouTube -- I'm not sure if it's been posted here before. The Del McCoury band is jamming with friends. Sierra Hull is doing a sensitive interpretation on mandolin. Someone at the Cafe can undoubtedly tell us who's doing the fine solo on electric mandolin. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIdf...McCouryChannel

Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Default Re: "What's That Sound?" Del McCoury jam

Ronnie McCoury
    Kevin
    -Laura Ratcliff Model A #0035

4. The following members say thank you to smokinop for this post:

Ranald 

Just to be sure, the tune is “for what it’s worth”, originally by Buffalo Springfield.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Just to be sure, the tune is “for what it’s worth”, originally by Buffalo Springfield.
    Of course, I don't know what I was thinking. Some overlap in the personnel on the original, and similar themes, I guess.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

One of a few videos (For What It's Worth, With A Little Help From My Friends) that Ricky Skaggs recorded in his studio for fun. I think it was done during festival season, when these all stars were readily available. So though it is indeed "Del & Friends" it's not really a Del McCoury event per se but a Ricky Skaggs & friends event ... For What It's Worth was published on Del McCoury's YouTube and With A Little Help From My Friends was published (IIRC) on The Gibson Brothers' YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4HVEU3PIs

From the The McCoury Channel liner notes on YouTube re: For What It's Worth

A few months ago, a bunch of friends got together to play music in Nashville, under the guise of prepping for DelFest. No one knew it would turn into something so special! Members of Del McCoury Band, The Travelin McCourys, Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Justin Moses, Ethan Jodziewicz, Cody Kilby, and Dre Anders of Dre and the Collective told stories and sang songs, turning it into a family jam.

From left to right: Justin Moses, Jason Carter, Sierra Hull, Rob McCoury, Ronnie McCoury, Del McCoury, Cody Kilby, Ethan Jodziewicz, Alan Bartram, Leigh Gibson, Dre Anders, Eric Gibson

None of us were quite sure why we cut the song back in May, but thought we might find a need for it down the road. I guess after this past weekend's events in Charlottesville the need is here.

Here's our cover of Buffalo Springfield's iconic protest song, "For What It's Worth".
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks, guys. I'm not doing so well here. I got the song title and band name wrong. But at least I said it was a jam! And those instruments were a mandolin and an electric mandolin, weren't they? I don't follow bluegrass in a big way, as this thread has probably made clear. I should be better with the rock songs of my youth though. Once again>

For What's It's Worth a tune I was playing shortly after getting my mandolin. A 12th fret chime across all 8 strings sounds really good in the key of D...Everybody look what's going down...Single A note on 4th string with rest open and 12th fret chime on all strings

12. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post:

Ranald 

I'm totally confused. When Bill corrected me on the title, I got "Ohio" in my mind. I think isolation is playing with my mind. Next time I'll just post a tune and not name the thread.

Maybe you're subconsciously showing your Canadian pride, thinking of a song written by a Canadian songwriter.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

15. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Maybe you're subconsciously showing your Canadian pride, thinking of a song written by a Canadian songwriter.
    Perhaps, that's it. After all, I do live on Paul Anka Drive, named after another Canadian (Ottawa born and raised) songwriter. Do you think I need professional help? Actually, if the options were available, I'd have chosen Joni Mitchell Street or Leonard Cohen Lane.

My way would be Stan Rogers Road
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

18. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    My way would be Stan Rogers Road
    But "My Way" was Paul Anka's song!

Stan was an old acquaintance of mine. We often discussed music and records. I bought the Andy Irvine and Paul Brady self-titled album when new because of Stan's excitement over it. He placed it in my hands, in fact. Stan always treated me well, though not everyone says the same. His brother Garnet's book, Night Drive: Travels with My Brother is very thick (it could use an editor) but highly entertaining memoir, and gives a good picture of the complexity of the man. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in Stan, but I take some of Garnet's stories with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-11-2021 at 3:41pm.

I believe that all of these artists have the same agent, hence they are all playing together on these recordings. I attended a show about a year ago in Bristol, TN in which all of these artists appeared, and Sierra said that’s why they were all playing that show together. I would assume that is how they got together here. I’m not sure how Ricky fit in, but thanks to him and these are great recordings.

21. The following members say thank you to Patrick Hull for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Hull View Post
    I believe that all of these artists have the same agent, hence they are all playing together on these recordings. I attended a show about a year ago in Bristol, TN in which all of these artists appeared, and Sierra said that’s why they were all playing that show together. I would assume that is how they got together here. I’m not sure how Ricky fit in, but thanks to him and these are great recordings.
    Thanks. I was thinking that if someone released commercial recordings of those jams, I wouldn't want to be the person assigned to getting permissions from the musicians and their record companies. It's great that these excellent musicians can get together and jam while they are at DelFest. They were clearly having fun. I suspect we're seeing and hearing a more relaxed jam than we'd get onstage where the performers would play for an audience rather than for each other -- not necessarily a better jam, but a different one.

Their take on the oft covered Blind Lemon Jefferson tune, See That My Grave Is Kept Clean, aka One Kind Favor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTd-SjxMX8

- YouTube Stuff

24. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Ranald 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'm really impressed with that take on "With A Little Help From My Friends." Not the singing, or playing, although that's all fine. It's the cooperation. There are eleven musicians there, at least two of every instrument (OK, nine musicians, two singers), and no one steps on anyone else. Not a bit. And it all sounds so good. I feel the way Del looks - just standing to the side, with a big grin, just taking it all in. I've been in plenty of jams with just three, four, five people, and you couldn't say that.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

[QUOTE=Mark Gunter;1804440]Their take on the oft covered Blind Lemon Jefferson tune, See That My Grave Is Kept Clean, aka One Kind Favor
    [URL]

Thanks so much for these, Mark. Here's another take on the blues, by the same folks, "Goin" Up The Country," which is based closely on Henry Thomas's "Bulldoze Blues" (1928):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkEKiMSUco&ab_channel=FlyingPerspectives

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Thanks so much for these, Mark. Here's another take on the blues, by the same folks, "Goin" Up The Country," which is based closely on Henry Thomas's "Bulldoze Blues" (1928):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkE...ngPerspectives

Thanks Ranald, I hadn't seen that one, I love it. I always liked the way Canned Heat used Henry Thomas' Quills melody and played it on flute for Going Up The Country, and I really like the way that Ronnie McCoury uses that melody on the mandolin. Cool stuff

- YouTube Stuff

29. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Ranald 

Like it !!

31. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Ranald 

That was some real fine genre crossing.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

33. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Ranald 

I believe that all of these artists have the same agent, hence they are all playing together on these recordings.
    A little late to the party, but this is also basically the core group from Delfest Academy instructors-- It rotates a bit, but Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, McCourys are all regulars, so they spend a fair amount of time together over that full week in Cumberland. It seems to be a pretty good group of friends who do a lot of different things together.

35. The following members say thank you to KEB for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Their take on the oft covered Blind Lemon Jefferson tune, See That My Grave Is Kept Clean, aka One Kind Favor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTd-SjxMX8
    This is one I haven’t seen, and I’m betting I will spend the next days and weeks trying to learn it. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for posting. What key do you reckon this in? D minor or perhaps we would say D modal on the fiddle....

That was great! I missed it when Mark posted it, so thanks for flagging this.

Two bass players who don't step on each other, and Ronnie on mandola with Sierra on mandolin. Pretty nice!

I think it's in A minor, since the guitar player is anchored on Em with a capo on the 5th fret.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories