Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

Default Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

I have Thomastic Starks on an ovel Weber and an oval Big Muddy mandola. Both sound excellent. Warm and defined with strong upper mids.

Steve, to what type strings are you comparing the Starks? And could be provide more details in terms of volume? General I find the Thomastiks weak in volume!

Question Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

Volume, & Physics, IMHO, is about thicker strings at higher tension, hit harder with your pick, when you play..

Otherwise just turn up the Amp your Mic is connected up to..
    \

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Steve, to what type strings are you comparing the Starks? And could be provide more details in terms of volume? General I find the Thomastiks weak in volume!
    I put the Thomastiks (Heavy, whatever they call that) on the MTO last night, played it for about a half hour, tuned it back up and put it away. Came home today, every string was still in tune except the E's. The strings are pretty new but I notice zero loss of volume compared to J74's (don't like PB in general) the Monels that were on there nor the Silk and Steel.

So far....... I'm mixed on the tone. The volume is there but it seems to have lost some of that tubbiness that made it sound so close to my 24 AJr and is really the sound I love this MTO for. The projection is stellar though. I'll have to give it some more playing time before I make my decision on them but first impression is positive, I just can't decide if I like them as much or more than Monels and Silk and Steels.

I'm almost tempted to try a set on my Hamlett, which is also extremely light, responsive and easy to play. A set is definitely going on my AJr to see what it does that little monster.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdBeerGoCubs For This Useful Post:

ColdBeer, What genre of music are you generally playing on your MTO? I find different styles seem to warrant different string types.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    ColdBeer, What genre of music are you generally playing on your MTO? I find different styles seem to warrant different string types.
    Classical, Celtic, World, Nordic, Scottish, Folk, etc. The oddball stuff. Not much Bluegrass, but occasionally I like to learn an Monroe tune.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

8. The following members say thank you to ColdBeerGoCubs for this post: