Thread: Pickup for New Loar M-520

Default Pickup for New Loar M-520

Hi,

Just purchased a Loar M-520 on Muscians Friend. I should take delivery late next week.
    I am new to the mandolin world. So please forgive questions that have probably answered many times. Based on my electric guitar background, I can't help but think of a pickup. But I'm not sure how it would sound through my Fender '65 Princeton reverb reissue

BTW This Loar model is on sale at $520 brand new at Musicans Friend. Using my GC credit card, Guitar Center matched the price at MF.I also got 24 months intrest free. 45 days to try it. Plus the numerous positive reviews.

I am a intermediate level electric guitar player. Semihollow bodies. I have been wanting to try a mandolin for some time now.

As for a pickup. The one I see the most is the L.R. Bragg model with pickup mounted on top of the top plate. Beyond that seems like a bunch more. In the event a luthier needs to install a pickup, I have no issue outside of cutting the mandolin to install something like a Fishman preamp. Budget? Nothing beyond the cost of the instrument.

Thanks
    Rich
    Last edited by Wildcat1; Jan-10-2021 at 12:16pm.

Default Re: Pickup for New Loar M-520

Reason for wanting to amplify an acoustic instrument?

Very good question. Nothing more than considering the possible as I take delivery. If I decide not to do it now, perhaps in the future.

You'll get various answers but just my views. To remotely imitate the sound of an acoustic instrument amplified is gonna cost a lot. All according to whether you have plans to play very large venues that volume is a big factor or playing small speak-easy venues a good mic would come much closer to capturing the sound of the instrument.

I don't play out or attend jams so I don't have a clue about volume issues or having or wanting to amplify an acoustic instrument. Being a home player now I simply want the acoustic sound of my guitars and mandolin. Someone who likes this sort of thing will be much more helpful in sound and cost factors involved.

EDIT: Ha, there's a variety of condenser mics to consider. This is a cool little vid from Ear Trumpet if you haven't watched, that is if this is even an interest

Thank you for the video. Intresting dynamics going on coordinating the mic with the various singers around the range of a single mic.

6. The following members say thank you to Wildcat1 for this post:

A K&K twin internal would be my choice, I have them in a few instruments. With any piezo you will need a preamp to go into the PA to match impedance. Having said that the piezo will sound OK into your princeton as the input impedance of the first preamp tube is usually much much higher than a PA.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Everyones situation is different, I would just never want to be in a situation that I'd need to amplify an acoustic instrument for I love the tone of the instrument and if more volume was needed than a mic I was in the wrong place with wrong people haha but that's me. I have an ES335, 2 Teles, an archtop and 3 amps for amplified situations but amplified acoustic instruments isn't for me.

Sorry for getting off your question lol I was just in my cantankerous all-acoustic mood.

When I do plug in I want my acoustic instrument to sound acoustic and have gone to great lengths to try and get that. We don't play loud, but I play with electric and plugged in guitars and sometimes drums. If I can keep the volume low it sounds very acoustic and no hassles with a mic and feedback. It also allows me to play easier with more/or equal volume than a mic so I play better with less fatigue.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat1 View Post
    Hi,

Just purchased a Loar M-520 on Muscians Friend. I should take delivery late next week.
    I am new to the mandolin world. So please forgive questions that have probably answered many times. Based on my electric guitar background, I can't help but think of a pickup. But I'm not sure how it would sound through my Fender '65 Princeton reverb reissue

BTW This Loar model is on sale at $520 brand new at Musicans Friend. Using my GC credit card, Guitar Center matched the price at MF.I also got 24 months intrest free. 45 days to try it. Plus the numerous positive reviews.

I am a intermediate level electric guitar player. Semihollow bodies. I have been wanting to try a mandolin for some time now.

As for a pickup. The one I see the most is the L.R. Bragg model with pickup mounted on top of the top plate. Beyond that seems like a bunch more. In the event a luthier needs to install a pickup, I have no issue outside of cutting the mandolin to install something like a Fishman preamp. Budget? Nothing beyond the cost of the instrument.

Thanks
    Rich
    At that price, you did good; those 520s are fine Mandolins.
    All you need now is a Crossrock fiberglass case to take er out and you'll be set.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Exclamation Re: Pickup for New Loar M-520

FAQ . this has been rehashed # N times ..

Piezo type Pickup, Or something more like a contact microphone..

One issue with Musician's Friend, they Ship unopened boxes ..

No Predelivery set up , so you may have to get that work done after you get it.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yes I understand the repetitiveness nature of my question. I do apologize.

Thank you on the price and case recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    At that price, you did good; those 520s are fine Mandolins.
    All you need now is a Crossrock fiberglass case to take er out and you'll be set.

Understood on maintaining acoustic element. But then and if you play with others that plug in, then it becomes another situation.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    When I do plug in I want my acoustic instrument to sound acoustic and have gone to great lengths to try and get that. We don't play loud, but I play with electric and plugged in guitars and sometimes drums. If I can keep the volume low it sounds very acoustic and no hassles with a mic and feedback. It also allows me to play easier with more/or equal volume than a mic so I play better with less fatigue.

I am assuming your archtop is amplifier with a pickup. I belong to the Jazz Guitar Forum and many are "old school" acoustic archtop players. My 76 year old luthier told me in a day they put heavy strings on, 56s, and raised the action extremely high to get the most out of their acoustic archtops.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    Everyones situation is different, I would just never want to be in a situation that I'd need to amplify an acoustic instrument for I love the tone of the instrument and if more volume was needed than a mic I was in the wrong place with wrong people haha but that's me. I have an ES335, 2 Teles, an archtop and 3 amps for amplified situations but amplified acoustic instruments isn't for me.

Sorry for getting off your question lol I was just in my cantankerous all-acoustic mood.

Thank you. K&K twin internal sounds good. I don't want to deal with a preamp. Also, thank you for mentioning that the Fender PRRI would work. I have modified it to optimize clean headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    A K&K twin internal would be my choice, I have them in a few instruments. With any piezo you will need a preamp to go into the PA to match impedance. Having said that the piezo will sound OK into your princeton as the input impedance of the first preamp tube is usually much much higher than a PA.

Not to throw a curve, but I just found out my guitar luthier has a mandolin for sale. It is a Harmony H-417. I have bought Harmony guitars in the past. The quality for the price seem good. He is asking $100 for the H-417.