Thread: tailpiece woes

Default tailpiece woes

Hey everyone. Recently the tailpiece on my Eastman 505 'failed' - the outboard tooth holding the outer E-sting end-loop broke, and the other tooth for the inner E-string loop is bending up. The mando is about 4yrs old. It has been strung with daddario EJ74s. I have two questions;
    1. The mando purchased in 2016. I believe it's past warranty. Contacts with Eastman Guitars were unanswered. Anyone else have this problem (with the tailpiece)?
    2.I guess I'm in for a t-p replacement. Anyone ever refitted an Eastman mando with the Ashton Bailey tailpiece from Stewmac? I don't like the idea of drilling new holes, which seems probable. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks everyone

Default Re: tailpiece woes

You might contact an Eastman dealer and ask them to contact Eastman about that tailpiece. I seem to recall another thread of someone who had the same problem and they actually sent him a replacement.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Eastman has a lifetime warranty for the original owner, doesn’t it?

Yes, Eastman does have a lifetime warranty to the original registered owner. They recommend contacting the dealer where the instrument was purchased. The text of their warranty is shown below.

Limited Lifetime Warranty
    Guitars, Mandolins & Other Fretted

EASTMAN instruments are played by professional musicians worldwide and are famous for the
    richness and beauty of their finishes. We have drawn on and added to hundreds of years of
    stringed instrument making tradition to handcraft the instrument you now own.
    The tonewoods used in the crafting of this instrument will react to normal fluctuations in
    humidity. It is recommended that you take the instrument to a qualified luthier to make desired
    adjustments. Extreme changes in humidity may cause damage to this instrument. The use of a
    humidity device when the instrument is not being played is strongly recommended (especially in
    both centrally air conditioned and heated environments).
    Limited Lifetime Warranty:
    This EASTMAN handcrafted instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials. If at
    any time your instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials, workmanship or electronic
    components, Eastman will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems
    appropriate at its sole discretion. If replacement of your instrument is deemed appropriate and
    the same model instrument is not available, your replacement instrument will be of the most
    similar style and of value not in excess of your instrument’s original purchase price.
    This warranty is extended to the original retail purchaser only and may not be transferred or
    assigned to subsequent owners.
    This warranty does not cover:
    1. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.
    2. Instruments that have been altered or modified in any way.
    3. Instruments that have been damaged due to misuse, negligence, or accident.
    4. Shipping damages of any kind.
    5. Instruments that have been subjected to extremes of humidity or temperature.
    6. Normal wear and tear (fret wear, worn pegs, worn or scratched finish, string
    replacement)
    EASTMAN makes no other warranty of any kind.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

I would wait for reply from Eastman. The Ashton Bailey ones just about got it right but in my view, they got the angle wrong. A major part of the idea of these cast tailpieces was to try and get the string coming to the bridge from a steeper agle to give more pressure and make the top move more.

My experience (having once bought 20 from China) is that they are great value for money but do have the flaw that the angle is set so that the strings actually come from quite a high point. i.e. Not doimng what the idea was. Real pity because even if someone they respected suggested a change, the tooling cost would be the issue. Yes there is a fine line between making sure the tailpiece does not hit the top of the mandolin but I think they just got that angle a bit wrong.

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago! Startled me pretty good when the nub snapped off. I bought my 515 used but when I contacted eastman, they immediately offered to send me a new tailpiece no questions asked. It took a few days for a reply - well worth the ask though.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will pursue them all!