Thread: My new and first electric mandolin!

Default My new and first electric mandolin!

Boy oh boy! I unexpectedly got an Eastwood Mandostang for Christmas and I'm having a blast! For some reason, I jumped right into playing jazz standards (I used to study jazz guitar back in the day) and couldn't resist recording a little bit of it. Hope you enjoy it!

Isaac

Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920
    Weber F4 Bitterroot Octave 2013
    Eastwood Mandostang Sunburst 2020

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Isaac Casas For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Default Re: My new and first electric mandolin!

Mandolin??
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Sweet tone.

Nice one Isaac, lovely playing!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I like it!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Sweet! Snazzy and jazzy! Swinging and happening! Nice tone, a little reverb, but great chops.

I started with a couple Epiphone MandoBirds ten or so years ago. Well, actually, I started with a 50s Gibson EM-150 back in the 80s, which I had to make single string because it was too hard to keep the courses in tune. Wish I'd known then about how light strings can provide string bends of 2-3 frets. I learned that on the MandoBirds. Then when I stepped up to a Ryder custom build, my whole deal stepped up. It's great to know a standard production electric mandolin can sound this good. What amp are you using?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Smile Re: My new and first electric mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Sweet! Snazzy and jazzy! Swinging and happening! Nice tone, a little reverb, but great chops.

I started with a couple Epiphone MandoBirds ten or so years ago. Well, actually, I started with a 50s Gibson EM-150 back in the 80s, which I had to make single string because it was too hard to keep the courses in tune. Wish I'd known then about how light strings can provide string bends of 2-3 frets. I learned that on the MandoBirds. Then when I stepped up to a Ryder custom build, my whole deal stepped up. It's great to know a standard production electric mandolin can sound this good. What amp are you using?
    Thank you! Obviously, you have much more experience with electric mandolins than I do! Besides mine, which I got like two weeks ago, I recently tried a Mandobird IV, but that's about it. And I've never tried an 8 string electric. Would love to know how that feels...

Regarding amps, these days I only keep a Fender Performer 650 and since I started playing mando about 6 years ago I only play acoustic. I've gotten lazy with all the setup required to get a good electric sound (or an electric sound that I like, at least).
    So, in this recording I plugged the mandolin straight to the sound card and I used Amplitube as an insert in Proo Tools. I spend some time looking for the sound in Amplitube (a little distortion, reverb, eq...) and then I processed the sound even more with other plugins (compression and others). I mainly used plugins from the T-Racks suite, which I like a lot.

I'm not an expert whatsoever, by the way, I just like messing around with these things...
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920

Blog Entries

Aha. Well, whatever route you took, you got there. I see why I like your sound so much. That's the same as what I do - a little distortion for "fattening," a little reverb for sustain. It produces a bolder, stronger sound. I've been doing this for years, decades in fact. It's something I learned from none other than Tim O'Brien, then in Hot Rize, on his acoustic. I've used this approach ever since, on both acoustic and electric mandolins. To a greater degree on the electric, of course. Rock and roll, you know. So you are in good company. His, not mine.

The other thing he did was to mix an acoustic and line signal. He had a Lavalier mic clipped to his sound hole, and that signal was mixed with the signal from his piezoelectric pickup with a device that could adjust the ratio of the two signals. The result was the best mandolin sound I've ever heard from something other than a Lloyd Loar F-5. Maybe even better.

My amp is a Fender Super Champ, a tube amp with built-in solid state effects. Very versatile. Sadly, discontinued.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

My amp is a Fender Super Champ, a tube amp with built-in solid state effects. Very versatile. Sadly, discontinued.
    My amp is a Fender Super Champ X2 with pretty much the same geometry you describe above JB, channel 1 is tube driven and channel 2 is DSP modeling of amps and cabinets. Enjoy your new axe Isaac!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Mine is an XD - one input, with a channel selector switch, enabling switching between effected and uneffected signals. It has the same variety of sounds as yours, I think - one knob that selects the sounds of different amps, the other that selects a variety of effects. In some ways it's almost a beginner's model. Each effect has three factory-defined settings; I can't set them beyond that, like tremolo speed or reverb depth. But it's all I need for gigs here. And in general, I suppose, till I hit the big time. With one of my old bands, the one where I used the electric setup the most, I found a few settings that worked best for different sections of the repertoire.

To be honest, I miss my Yamaha REX50 multi-effector more than anything. Along with all the effects, there was the capability for dozens of preset settings I could dial in and hit instantly. This is what I used to get that combination of distortion and reverb I mentioned before. The sound I wanted was all contained in the unit. It was my sound for years, like fifteen years. So I could show up to any gig, even a festival, hand the sound guy a cord, and say, "Here you go. Just run it dry, no EQ." Sweet!

The other thing he did was to mix an acoustic and line signal. He had a Lavalier mic clipped to his sound hole, and that signal was mixed with the signal from his piezoelectric pickup with a device that could adjust the ratio of the two signals. The result was the best mandolin sound I've ever heard from something other than a Lloyd Loar F-5. Maybe even better.
    This is also what I just very recently started to do when I record my acoustic mandolin. I have a Rode NT1000 and a Rode NT5. I place one more or less where my right hand is and the other where the scroll is, so I get a more thin sound and a more deep/bassy sound. Then I EQ both signals so they don't overlap that much and finally look for a mix of volumes. I also end up EQing the final mixed sound... Again, just messing around.

By the way, I'd love to hear the sound of your electric mandos, JB and Len! Is there any video that I can check out?
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Casas View Post
    By the way, I'd love to hear the sound of your electric mandos, JB and Len! Is there any video that I can check out?
    Well, you asked for it. Here's the Ryder.

And the MandoBird. It was the end of the night. A few beers were involved.

Well, you asked for it. Here's the Ryder.

And the MandoBird. It was the end of the night. A few beers were involved.

Yeah! You and your band have a super cool vibe! And the Mandobird is very cool -disto, whawha and all! I definitely have to look for a more distorted sound for a next recording.

Thanks for sharing that!
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920

Blog Entries

Thank you. You're being very kind. These are both a good bit less than perfect, technically, however, ah, spirited. I thought there were better quality videos up, but apparently not. And fewer to choose from than I thought, too. We played at this club every Monday night for 2 1/2 years, and some nights were better than others, though most of the time things went well. People shot videos all the time (it's a big tourist town, and that's very common), but I guess they posted only a little bit of them. Oh well!

And honestly, your tone, control, and versatility in your video are much more impressive. Keep up the good work!

Thank you. You're being very kind. These are both a good bit less than perfect, technically, however, ah, spirited. I thought there were better quality videos up, but apparently not. And fewer to choose from than I thought, too. We played at this club every Monday night for 2 1/2 years, and some nights were better than others, though most of the time things went well. People shot videos all the time (it's a big tourist town, and that's very common), but I guess they posted only a little bit of them. Oh well!

And honestly, your tone, control, and versatility in your video are much more impressive. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! I just hope we're going to be able tot gig again at some point... I didn't do it as often as you, but miss it greatly nontheless. In the meantime, let's keep on picking! Take care!
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920