Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apollo Picks !

Default Re: Apollo Picks !

Here's an update on my recent pick-geeking:

Nik is still making the Apollo picks I ordered, and he was kind enough to help me with a last minute change I made with the gauges.

The BC is still en route from Banjo Ben.

But I have recv'd the Wegen TF140 and the big triangle Golden Gate this week. The Golden Gate was a big surprise since I've been consistently underwhelmed by the big DAWG-style ones I've had over the years. But this triangle pick is flat out awesome, and it's very cheap. Something about the material its made of makes it stick to your skin and never move around. And I'm getting basically zero pick noise from it. All for $1.49! https://www.stringsbymail.com/golden...ick-19122.html

I'll report more when I get the BC and the Apollos.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Here's an update on my recent pick-geeking:

Nik is still making the Apollo picks I ordered, and he was kind enough to help me with a last minute change I made with the gauges.

The BC is still en route from Banjo Ben.

But I have recv'd the Wegen TF140 and the big triangle Golden Gate this week. The Golden Gate was a big surprise since I've been consistently underwhelmed by the big DAWG-style ones I've had over the years. But this triangle pick is flat out awesome, and it's very cheap. Something about the material its made of makes it stick to your skin and never move around. And I'm getting basically zero pick noise from it. All for $1.49! https://www.stringsbymail.com/golden...ick-19122.html

I'll report more when I get the BC and the Apollos.
    It will be interesting when you finally compare all these picks !

I know what you mean Caleb. I had a few picks sent to me from a couple new friends, and I have also ordered a few.

Been using several, and that GG triangle is still in the mix of the ones I like.

Hey Folks,

Thank you all for all these kind words. I appreciate the feedback greatly.

Medley12 & Caleb: I really like that GG tri shape too. I was turned on to it by my buddy Adam Schlenker who used that kind of GG for a long time.
    This fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTfRQfCT3-0

I’ve been going back and forth with him to tweak that design for his particular needs while using the dark tortoise casein I have. I think all he uses is that one pick now, and in about a month or so there is going to be an Adam Schlenker Model Apollo Pick. So be on the lookout for that one

Have a great day everyone!

Nik

P.S. Caleb, your pick is on my workbench and I will be finishing it today. Thanks for your patience

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApolloPicks For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the heads up, Nik!

Got my two Apollo picks yesterday and spent some time with them. I was planning on doing a pick comparison video with several different makes and models, but after watching some of these on YouTube (and being completely underwhelmed by them), I decided I’d be wasting time. So here are some of my thoughts after pick-geeking for the past few days:

APOLLO: I ended up with an H-shape casein (brown) and an H-shape peek (grey), both 1.3. Both are excellent picks but very different. The peek would have probably stood out more if I’d not bought a casein at the same time: but to me the casein is the better pick. I’m getting very little pick-noise with it, and particularly on the wound strings, I get some almost violin-like tones. It also tones down the brightness of the E course very well. The material also sticks well to the skin and stays put very well. Is it worth $40? I’d say yes. I do think the Apollo could use some labeling or some kind of engraving on it to make it more distinguishable like BC et al has. It looks cool bare but no one will know what it is if they don’t know already.

BLUECHIP CT55: I got this one to see what all the fuss was about, and it completely lives up to it. This pick glides off the strings like nothing else I’ve ever used (though the Apollo brown is very similar). Worth the $35? Absolutely.

WEGEN TF140: I’ve used Wegens in the past but never this big triangle shape. It doesn’t glide off the strings like the BC or the Apollo, but it does something equally effective, though hard to fully explain. It almost seems to sort of scratch at the strings (assuming you’re using bronze wound and not flatties), and while doing so produces a tone and feel all its own. For under $10, you owe it to yourself to try one. I absolutely love it.

GOLDEN GATE TRIANGLE X STIFF: This is a cheap pick but a very good one. Very little pick-noise and excellent tone. I’ve been grabbing this one and keeping it in the mix.

PRIMETONE: I’ve been using one of the rounded 1.3 models with grips, and a big triangle model (1.3 or 1.4 - not in front of me and I don’t recall) given to me by Charles E. (thanks again!). All the above picks are large triangles, and after using them for a while the smaller/rounder Primetone almost feels too small, like it’s going to slip out of my fingers. (The old Fender heavies I’ve used for years feel entirely too small and unnatural now.) But the triangle Primetone is VERY impressive, especially considering the price. In fact, if you’re on a tight budget, or just refuse to pay the price of the BC et al, this Primetone will get you ridiculously close to those tones, but in fairness and all honesty, not quite all the way there.

Bottom line: I really like the BC, Apollo, and Wegen, and honestly cannot choose a favorite. The Apollo gives the more buttery and violin-like tones, the BC glides off the strings, and the Wegen does its own thing like nothing else. I think I can play a bit faster and smoother with the Wegen, but I’ve also had it a few days more and have gotten to know it better. In time I think the BC and Apollo will be just as fast, but there is a slight learning curve with new picks.

Hope this has been helpful or entertaining.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Nik is sending m a 1.4mm Peek and a 1.5mm "spiral" casein pick. Looking forward to trying them out. I noticed he has added "clown barf" picks to his casein line....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/166554#166554

NFI
    Last edited by Charles E.; Feb-03-2021 at 5:16pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I received a pick from Nik earlier this week, and boy does it make a difference with tone! Granted this is my first really good pick, but I am very happy with how much better, and louder, the mandolin sounds; I wish I could take credit.

Tracking says "Delayed"
    Charley

Just chiming in to say that I recently received a 1.5mm PEEK (A? H? whatever the larger triangle is). I got it to replace a similar PEEK pick (different maker) that I had lost. I'm loving it! It's a bit different than the lost pick - the other had a bevel, and the flat surface was not as smoothly polished as the Apollo - but the Apollo recreated everything that I loved about the other. Beautiful tone, just a tad less bright than the CT55, also just tad less pointy. It plays beautifully, smooth and gliding. It's my new favorite pick.
    Mitch Russell

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Tracking says "Delayed"
    Normal with USPS delivery !

I got my Apollo picks. I like em. They're in rotation with my Wegen, CT55, and Primetones.

I have three spendy picks and each instrument will get the one that works best with it. Then each instrument will have a few primetones in the case. Should be good to go.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

16. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I got my Apollo picks. I like em. They're in rotation with my Wegen, CT55, and Primetones.

I have three spendy picks and each instrument will get the one that works best with it. Then each instrument will have a few primetones in the case. Should be good to go.
    You got the Apollo Casein picks ?

I got the Peek pics. I'm afraid to try any casein. I don't mind dropping some money on a quality pick but I need it to be indestructible. I have some 5 year old Wegens that I still use. I just bought my first BC along with the Apollo Peek. I suspect they will last until I lose em!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I got the Peek pics. I'm afraid to try any casein. I don't mind dropping some money on a quality pick but I need it to be indestructible. I have some 5 year old Wegens that I still use. I just bought my first BC along with the Apollo Peek. I suspect they will last until I lose em!
    As good as the Apollo Peek picks are, the Apollo Casein sound best to my ears !

I'm tempted to try one (and the D'Adarrio CT Casein too) but I'm worried about the durability of any casein pick.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Well my Apollo picks finally arrived and I am very pleased. Both are 1.4 "F" shape with a right hand bevel. One is "spiral" casein (easily the most beautiful pick I have ever owned) the other is PEEK. The polish on both are superb. First impressions are these...
    Both sound darker than my 1.4 Primetone

The Casein sounds darker than the PEEK

Both have very little "click" noise esp the Casein, very smooth.

Thanks Nik!
    Charley

Thank you very much for all this positive feedback folks! It never gets old to hear things like this.
    Have a great day,
    Nik
    Last edited by ApolloPicks; Feb-12-2021 at 4:13pm.

I'm tempted to try one (and the D'Adarrio CT Casein too) but I'm worried about the durability of any casein pick.
    Hey Chuck, I think you will find that this material holds up very well. I sent a few casein picks to top-level professional players (who play for hours a day) and they both said (unprompted) they hold are holding up better than what they were using before.

FWIW, I don't play as much as those folks, but I do use a casein pick daily, and I've never had any durability issues.

Of course, the thickness is relevant here. a 1.5mm pick will be more likely to hold up better (in the long run) than, say a .75mm pick.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloPicks View Post
    FWIW, I don't play as much as those folks, but I do use a casein pick daily, and I've never had any durability issues.
    I have one of your casein picks, which I’m enjoying, on my coffee table next to me. Have you had any issues with warping due to water, as some Red Bear owners have reported?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I have one of your casein picks, which I’m enjoying, on my coffee table next to me. Have you had any issues with warping due to water, as some Red Bear owners have reported?
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying the pick!

Nope, I haven't had a customer mention this yet

That said, it is advisable to keep any casein pick out of direct contact with water (for a prolonged period of time.). There is nothing to worry about from normal use or anything, and if it gets wet and you notice it just can simply wipe it off and it will be unaffected. Just be sure to take the pick out of your jeans pocket before throwing it in the wash.
    Last edited by ApolloPicks; Feb-12-2021 at 10:37pm.

Whether Apollo or other makers, I have had no problems with casein picks being particular fragile. Possibly very thin ones could be, but I play picks between 0.060" and 0.080" (1.5-2.0mm). IME they do not wear excessively and they don't warp or break. That goes for TS as well. I do nothing to maintain them, other than not losing them.

27. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

I must say the Apollo peek is by far the favorite pick on my Breedlove Revival OM guitar. It just sounds better than any other pick I have including the BC and Wegen. The rest of the band heard it too.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

If you really like the Apollo Peek picks than you should try the Apollo Casein ! Even better ! 😉

30. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    If you really like the Apollo Peek picks than you should try the Apollo Casein ! Even better ! ��
    I have casein by several other makers...do you find the Apollo casein to be different from other caseins?
    I am really enjoying my peek picks.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com