Thread: Mandolin Newbie

Default Mandolin Newbie

Hey all, just want to introduce myself as I have recently purchased a mandolin and look forward to learning as much as I can from all that contribute to this forum. I have lived all over the place but call Missouri and North Carolina home. Huge Ozark Mountain Daredevils fan and have slowly gotten into bluegrass as well. Music is my passion and all that is important besides my family. I have played guitar for several years and always wanted to pick up the mandolin. Well, found a nice Tacoma M1e for a great price and diving into your world. First lesson went ok...putting new strings on a mandolin, but one of the e strings snapped whilst fine tuning. Not sure why this happened but will look further into it. Looks like the action is a bit high on the Tacoma...thinking the nut might need a little file action but again, need to better understand characteristics of the mandolin and remember that this is not a guitar! Anyway.....look forward to chatting with all of you and remember....Play on!!! Cheers

Default Re: Mandolin Newbie

Welcome to the mandolin and Cafe!!

It does sound like you may want to get someone to look at the nut. I'd likely take it to a reputable person near you and ask to have it set up properly and let them know about the string snapping.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

Welcome ! You need a good setup on that mandolin !

I am sure you will get plenty of help and advice here as it is a very generous site in terms of assistance. I was a huge fan of the Daredevils and saw them at the 1975 Reading Festival. I bought one of their T-shirts but I gave it to a friend. I can remember they played Jackie Blue which is still a favourite of mine- like a time machine! Mind you, I don't recall much mandolin- if any on their first three albums which I bought all those years ago!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Right on! Welcome

Those Tacomas are nice flat top mandolins that can sound great! After a while of introduction and learning you may however want to get a f hole, arch top style mandolin for playing bluegrass. Having both those things (f holes and an arch top) will help cut through a loud band.

welcome to the mandolin and cafe! if you want specifics on what to look for in a well set up mandolin, shoot an email to rob meldrum and he'll send you his free guide to doing your own setup -- it gives all the information on heights and whatnot to check whether you get someone else to set it up or do it yourself.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Welcome to the cafe! I had a Tacoma up until a few years ago. I really liked it. But I decided I was getting too old to climb in and out of it so I traded it for an Avalon.

Seriously - I'd like to hear one of those Tacomas - post a video when you get a chance!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

8. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

MrMoe 

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Welcome to the cafe! I had a Tacoma up until a few years ago. I really liked it. But I decided I was getting too old to climb in and out of it so I traded it for an Avalon.

Seriously - I'd like to hear one of those Tacomas - post a video when you get a chance!
    Thanks to all for the welcomes and info! So, did some research and gave the Tacoma a look-over. Have read some positive reviews and luv of this particular mandolin which makes up for some of the negative reviews. All of the tacoma measurements seem within what one would call specs. Action at 12 fret seems within recommend height. Nut seems good. I guess my only issue now is that it never seems quite in tune...suspect intonation issues and the movable bridge. Will look further into this. Printed off a chord chart and having a blast with basic songs now but really feeling the bluegrass pull. I did email the gentleman that offered the free set-up ebook but have not heard back?? Anyway, thanks again and looking forward to this learning curve!

Welcome to the Cafe. Judging my experience that won't be the last E string you snap!
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Hey, is that a natural-finish Mando? My first mandolin was a Tacoma M1E and I sold it locally to a guy that was heading east. Maybe that's the one! Anyway I really liked it and actually can't remember why I sold it! Anyway best of luck with it and with the learning process. I'm a long-time guitar player who recently got back into mando and can't put it down (a new-to-me used Collings I just got). Enjoy!....

I'm the gentleman who gives out the free ebook on mandolin setup. I don't see any emails from January 15? Please email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line.

I'll be looking for you!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Meldrum View Post
    I'm the gentleman who gives out the free ebook on mandolin setup. I don't see any emails from January 15? Please email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line.

I'll be looking for you!

Rob
    Hi Rob!! Got the ebook n watched videos....Oh man, does this Tacoma need a setup. Purchased the recommended diamond files and getting ready to follow your instructions and turn this Tacoma into a finely tuned instrument. Will document my process and keep you informed....Thanks again Sir! Also left a msg on one of your youtube videos....

Welcome from MO from MrMoe (Columbia) we too have NC connections one in Durham and one in Bath.