Thread: Ranieri - Art of the Mandolin

Default Ranieri - Art of the Mandolin

Good news for those of us in the US. The Art of the Mandolin has officially entered into the public domain. It’s a great book so I’m hoping to see some copies legally spread around now.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

2. The following members say thank you to Classicalcomp for this post:

Eugene 

Default Re: Ranieri - Art of the Mandolin

It's available and downloadable from IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/L%27Art_de_la...eri%2C_Silvio)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelhai For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelhai View Post
    It's available and downloadable from IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/L%27Art_de_la...eri%2C_Silvio)
    Yeah. Part 2 (3,4) have been on there a while. It’s tougher to find part 1 (1,2). Hopefully we can get it added to IMSLP.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

6. The following members say thank you to Classicalcomp for this post:

Maybe I am a bit confused here but how do you know it is in public domain? I have the Cranz editions and book 1 is copyrighted 1956, book 2 1959.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

As I understand it, the original books 1 & 2 were first published in 1925. Those 1925 editions are out of copyright and maybe reproduced at will. Though the editions published in 1956 and 1959 seem to be mere reproductions of the original editions, they have been edited (see Ralf Leenen, https://youtu.be/AqMcD0T7a8I) and therefore are not out of copyright and may not be reproduced at will.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Michael Reichenbach

The copyright is sometimes complicated. Here in Germany it is 70 years after the death of the composer and we will have to wait for some more years until 2030 for the Ranieri methods.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

imslp.org appears to be in international waters. Volumes 3 and 4 of Ranieri have the clarification of copyright in Europe and the United States, and although the copyright is active in Canada, the site where the site is hosted, they are still available on the site, and so far there are no complainants ...
    Last edited by Jairo Ramos; Jan-17-2021 at 2:12pm.

12. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

IMSLP does always check the copyright and tells about it. In the case of the Ranieri methods it says:

It is very unlikely that this work is public domain in the EU, or in any country where the copyright term is life-plus-70 years. However, it is in the public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted) and other countries where the term is life-plus-50 years (such as China, Japan, Korea and many others worldwide). As this work was first published before 1926 or failed to meet notice or renewal requirements to secure statutory copyright with no "restoration" under the GATT amendments, it is very likely to be public domain in the USA as well.

I ask everybody to obey the copyright laws. IMSLP would not exits if the coyright laws are not obeyed.

There is enough work to do with works that are really public domain in most contries, at the moment I am working to scan sheet music by Theodor Ritter (died 1950, public domain now). It is not urgently necessary to scan works that are not public domain in most countries...
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

I ask everybody to obey the copyright laws.
    It is not urgently necessary to scan works that are not public domain in most countries.
    On an international stage (is there any other in 2021?) what are the ethics involved for say, United States-ers observing US copyright laws for a publication originating in France, India, Russia, Japan? There is no internationally shared copyright standard, correct? Is there any international standard for what the US terms "Fair Use"? I have lots of questions like this ... but am not willing to put in the time to become a copyright lawyer. Really, I think Mando Cafe should have one on call ...

Joe