Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mandolin flagship song?

Default Re: Mandolin flagship song?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Right. That is objective. It's like taking a survey. It's not what do you want to hear or play - subjective - it's what do they want to hear, what do they want you to play - objective.
    No... Bernie's right. The whole thing is subjective. The first question asked in the OP is: Does the mandolin have a “flagship” song?
    Literally calls for a 'yes-or-no' answer, but obviously any answers will be subjective, based on the opinions of the responders.

The OP's follow up question: "...is there 1 song that people always want to hear when you pull the mandolin out?" is (would seem to be) asked as a means to support whatever the answer to the original question might be. Still subjective by implication. The only objectively truthful answer to the second question would be 'No. There is no one song that people always want to hear when I or anyone else pulls out the mandolin'.

So my vote would be for "Maggie May."
    Right! Your vote is your own and it certainly counts.

So it looks like the short answer is, "No."
    Right again!

Using the example of FMB, which was never a big hit but still entered the public's consciousness via the popularity of "The Beverly Hillbillies,"...
    I believe you are thinking of the movie Bonnie and Clyde. (a subjective opinion based on objective fact )
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

2. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    ...is there 1 song that people always want to hear when you pull the mandolin out?...this topic is partly started in fun...
    Free Bird. And I'm only partly kidding.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Free Bird. And I'm only partly kidding.
    There's always that one guy in the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    You mean it's not this 'un heah?

He's the man !!

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Here's a nice laid-back version for you:

Not sure my metronome goes that slow. What about a fast version? Heheh

No... Bernie's right. The whole thing is subjective. The first question asked in the OP is: Does the mandolin have a “flagship” song?
    Literally calls for a 'yes-or-no' answer, but obviously any answers will be subjective, based on the opinions of the responders.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Cripple Creek
    Angeline the Baker
    Whiskey Before B'fast
    Soldier's Joy. . .

stuff like that!

f-d
    Great classic tunes....but only for certain styles of music. None of those tunes would work for the audiences I've played for, nor would be "flagship" songs for them...subjective indeed.

Conversely, the folks that would appreciate those tunes would not expect Italian and Italian-American chestnuts as flagship tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Who's the third (bearded) mandolin player? Fiddler?
    Fiddler is Andy Leftwich, who’s a heckuva mandolin picker also.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Based on observations; that's my point. As I said, like taking a survey. The opinion of the survey-taker is irrelevant.

I get the distinct impression that my opinion of this aspect of the discussion is in the minority, based on my observation of the responses. Even though I still am correct in my analysis, and majority opinion does not necessarily imply it is manifestly true, it is my observation that this line of thinking isn't furthering the quest to determine the truth. All the evidence and analysis I've offered doesn't seem to matter much to anyone else. So I shall relent in my relentless pursuit of something purporting to be the truth of the matter.

I mean, if no one cares about this but me, I'm going to let it slide.

I believe you are thinking of the movie Bonnie and Clyde. (a subjective opinion based on objective fact )
    You are correct, sir. No idea what, if anything, I was thinking. Oops! Sigh ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I think "Copperhead Road" comes to mind. I've also had lots of people ask for "Atlantic City"