Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin flagship song?

Default Re: Mandolin flagship song?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    But if you asked this question a while back, the answer would be clearer: "Maggie May" and "Friend of the Devil." You young'uns might not know this, but "Maggie May" was an enormous worldwide hit in its day. The mandolin lead played in the coda has been called the most-played mandolin riff ever
    Funny you mention "Maggie May".

That song first came out at about the same time my Italian grandmother gave me my first mandolin.

Although most of what I initially learned to play were traditional Italian tunes, the very first music I ever played on my new mandolin was the end of "Maggie May".

Ah, the memories of youth.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Here's a nice laid-back version for you:

ok, I'll get right on that

3. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Who's the third (bearded) mandolin player? Fiddler?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Rawhide??? hmm, well ok then............looking for the tabs
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Who's the third (bearded) mandolin player? Fiddler?
    Doyle Lawson (the guy who follows Ronnie McCoury).
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

As an ex-banjo player, you may play a bit of bluegrass (excluding Dueling Banjos, which only got popular in bluegrass when it got into the Top 40 courtesy of Eric Weissberg -- although the Dillards did a nice BG version back in the '60's. The tune, originally called Feudin' Banjos, was written by Arthur Smith to show the different sounds of 5-string and tenor banjos.)

So, what mandolin tunes might be often played at a BG jam? Lotsa posters have mentioned Raw Hide (two words, as Monroe titled it), and that's definitely a common show-off piece. (It gets your banjo player to capo up to the key of C, as well). Here are some others that seem to be faves:

New Camptown Races
    Arab Bounce
    Whiskey Before Breakfast
    Salt Creek
    Cherokee Shuffle

Later Bill Monroe tunes, like Old Dangerfield and Lonesome Moonlight Waltz also get played quite a bit. I find myself playing Red-Haired Boy almost every time I pick up a mandolin, but that's just me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    ... is there 1 song that people always want to hear when you pull the mandolin out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Depends on what genre of music you play on the mandolin as well - not all of us play Bluegrass, so a "must know" tune in that world wouldn't be the same for folks who play irish trad music (like meself), other types of folk music, classical, blues or jazz on their mandolins.
    I don't play a whole lot of bluegrass. I am not immersed in that world. I have no idea whether "Rawhide" is requested as often as the number of responses seems to imply it does. But I question whether a) it is popular among the general public; b) it is recognizable among the general public; c) bluegrass in general is popular among the general public, more so than other genres; d) a bluegrass tune would be most often requested in the context mentioned in the OP; e) whether the association between mandolin and bluegrass is so strong it supersedes that of all other genres. Mostly, I question the bluegrass-centric tenor of these responses, and the specific example of "Rawhide." I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is anywhere near as popular and recognizable as FMB and OBS.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

11. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

So it looks like the short answer is, "No."

The long answer goes something like this:

No, there really isn't. The main reason is the mandolin hasn't achieved the same kind of popular familiarity as fiddle and banjo.
    Another really tough spot to be, as a musician, is one I found myself in when I was a youngster: I'd walk in, and folks would ask me to play a fiddle tune. I'd have to tell them, "I'm sorry. I don't play fiddle. Only violin."
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

13. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

So it looks like the short answer is, "No."

The long answer goes something like this:

No, there really isn't. The main reason is the mandolin hasn't achieved the same kind of popular familiarity as fiddle and banjo. * Those instruments have a few widely popular tunes that many people associate with them, due to them having been heard a lot. But mandolin? Not so much. These days.
    I'd like to add to this that the Mandolin is used in more genres of music as mentioned many times already where the banjo, to the masses, seems like a one trick pony, which it's not.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Original poster here, and I am so excited that there really isn’t a flagship song. Gang, it was horrible, let me tell you lol.

I’m being serious when I say that I have never even heard Rawhide on the mandolin.

I agree with (sorry I can’t remember) that my mandolin almost plays Red Haired Boy by itself every time I pick it up. That, along with Cherokee Shuffle and Whiskey Before Breakfast are the 3 songs that drew me to the mandolin. I am very thankful that I cannot get tired of these songs...

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I find myself playing Red-Haired Boy almost every time I pick up a mandolin, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    I agree with (sorry I can’t remember) that my mandolin almost plays Red Haired Boy by itself every time I pick it up. That, along with Cherokee Shuffle and Whiskey Before Breakfast are the 3 songs that drew me to the mandolin. I am very thankful that I cannot get tired of these songs...
    That was Allen and I agree. Red Haired Boy is one I play often as well

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks Zach

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I don't play a whole lot of bluegrass. I am not immersed in that world. I have no idea whether "Rawhide" is requested as often as the number of responses seems to imply it does. But I question whether a) it is popular among the general public; b) it is recognizable among the general public; c) bluegrass in general is popular among the general public, more so than other genres; d) a bluegrass tune would be most often requested in the context mentioned in the OP; e) whether the association between mandolin and bluegrass is so strong it supersedes that of all other genres. Mostly, I question the bluegrass-centric tenor of these responses, and the specific example of "Rawhide." I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is anywhere near as popular and recognizable as FMB and OBS.
    I agree, and I stick with my original answer - nope, there's not one.

Died-in-the-wool Bluegrassers (of which there are always many here, to the extent that some of them sometimes seem to assume that every question is answered in light of Bluegrass) and also mandolin musicians in general may have skewed views of what is actually popular to the general public at large

Due to Beverly Hillbillies and other popular country and hillbilly variety shows and comedies on TV before and after, FMB and OBS have become a much larger part of public musical psyche in ways that Rawhide never will. Sorry.

Edited to say that the theme from the TV show Rawhide is another story. Very deep-seated. Blues Brothers had to
    cover it
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    FMB and OBS
    I'm guessing OBS is for Orange Blossom Special but can't for the life of me figure out what FMB stands for???

23. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I'm guessing OBS is for Orange Blossom Special but can't for the life of me figure out what FMB stands for???
    Foggy Mountain Breakdown. Everybody loves Earl Scruggs! Whether or not they even know his name.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

25. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Foggy Mountain Breakdown. Everybody loves Earl Scruggs! Whether or not they even know his name.
    Oh, of course it does! My bad, just couldn't put 2 and 2 together

Well medley12 you certainly got things rolling with your post. Actually a great response from many loyal members. Allen my big solo with our local group Higher Mountain Bluegrass was Ahab Bounce which I learned from Don Reno recordings. I'm sure we're talking the same tune.
    Having been brought into the mandolin world through Bluegrass I have kind of assumed that everyone started through that path. I now appreciate so many others came into this from other backgrounds and I fully appreciate their feedback. And by the way, those cool Italian tunes that were mentioned have got me hungry.
    Linguine with clam sauce anyone? Oops I started another discussion .... White or Red sauce!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

28. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

Thanks Bob, ya, I had a feeling this would perk everybody up.

I have to throw in Remember When, just because the intro is probably the main reason I picked mandolin instead of guitar as my first stringed instrument

No slackers in that group!

Is it just me or do I hear some echoes of Dixieland banjo in that tune?

32. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

The Godfather, either the Love theme or the Waltz. People would recognize both. I am dating myself here. This does go back to 70’s early 80’s in New York, when the movie was still in the public consciousness. It was something people would ask for with a smile, like they were expected to ask for it, it was a given. In an Italian setting Mala Femena was an oft requested tune. Actually a great tune to play, tango rhythm, lots of tremolo, & Jazzy chord changes. Lara’s theme often makes people think of the Mandolin.
    Other than that, I don’t know if there is a real signature tune. I don’t think the average person thinks of Maggie Mae. Mandolin players know it has a Top 40 hit with a Mandolin, but most Rock fans don’t. If asked about the instrument & I mention Maggie Mae, I usually get a puzzled look. The Rod Stewart song? Then I play the riff & they go, o yea! They never had noticed it before. I’ve found your average Pop/Rock listeners are in the dark about Bluegrass & Mandolins. They don’t know what to ask for. If someone is at least familiar with Bluegrass & Mandolin, they usually just say play something. You can play any Fiddle tune & they will enjoy it.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

The old time world has a few that might be considered standards: Whiskey Before Breakfast, Cherokee Shuffle, Angelina Baker, and Saint Anne's Reel. (IMHO)
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

36. The following members say thank you to Pappyrich for this post:

Since you all frame this in limited bluegrass terms I'd expand it to say Dallas Rag is the OBS of mandolin tunes.

38. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    music from "the Godfather"
    Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    The Godfather, either the Love theme or the Waltz. People would recognize both. I am dating myself here. This does go back to 70’s early 80’s in New York, when the movie was still in the public consciousness. It was something people would ask for with a smile, like they were expected to ask for it, it was a given. In an Italian setting Mala Femena was an oft requested tune.
    Thanks for seconding that opinion!

And I've played my share of stuff like "Mala Femina", "Al Di La", and even "That's Amore"!

Nice hearing from you.

40. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    I don’t think the average person thinks of Maggie Mae. Mandolin players know it has a Top 40 hit with a Mandolin, but most Rock fans don’t. If asked about the instrument & I mention Maggie Mae, I usually get a puzzled look. The Rod Stewart song? Then I play the riff & they go, o yea! They never had noticed it before. I’ve found your average Pop/Rock listeners are in the dark about Bluegrass & Mandolins...
    Joe B
    Totally agree and feel the same way about REM's Losing My Religion and The Goo Goo Dolls Iris which are the Maggie May equivalent for my generation... pop songs with Mandolin. (A side note, this is the type of music that introduced me to, and inspired me to play mandolin. That and hymns.)

For the 30 somethings pop/rock crowd in my circle The Battle of Evermore and Going to California are asked about more when considering mandolins in music. However, most listeners don't know or care it's a mandolin. I play them and they say... "oh, that's what that was!!!"

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post: