Thread: dumb question

Default dumb question

This is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway... Does it matter how you strap the neck of an F style... I just got my first F model after playing an A for a long time... I see a lot of people with the strap in the curl... some over one shoulder and some over both... I don't like either as the mandolin kept falling over... I like connecting the same way I did the f model below the tuning keys behind the nut... any reason that's bad??? anyone else do that?

Default Re: dumb question

It's your call, whatever works for you is the right way
    I prefer using a boot lace looped onto the scroll and over my shoulder.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It's not a dumb question. There's an old cliché that there ARE no dumb questions, just dumb answers. I don't know about that, but some questions have fairly easy answers. We'll see if this is one.

When I had an F-style, I loved using the scroll for the strap. I use found objects for a straps, and the scroll made this easy. Any piece of fabric long enough would do. Attach one end to the endpin with wire, tie a loop in the other end and slip it over the scroll. One of my favorite straps was a dog leash I found at a yard sale for 25¢. I cut off the buckle, folded an inch of the remaining end over a bit of wire to go around the endpin, and slipped the loop of the wrist-handle over the scroll. Easy peasy.

I always ran the strap around my head and shoulder. Just around the shoulder always seemed a bit risky. Also, I liked how using the scroll eliminated the nuisance of my left hand bumping up against the strap end at the nut. A minor nuisance, to be sure, but it was there.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I found that using the scroll caused the mandolin to lean to the left and kept falling over ... it’s top heavy... am I doing something wrong or is that normal ?

Use what's comfortable for your style of playing.............period.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

It goes without saying... this surely is not a dumb question. But here are my thoughts...

When I first received my F style It wasn't so difficult to get used to using the scroll as a strap hanger since I was already attaching my A style under the fretboard (around the same placement). However when I got my flat top, without a elevated fretboard or scroll, it took me a while to get used to the feeling of the "peg head" method in which you use currently. I think you'll get used to whatever you choose in time.

Hope this helps

Congratulations on your new mando!

2cents worth!

I have only used a tuning peg to hang the strap regardless of mandolin style.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxamy View Post
    I found that using the scroll caused the mandolin to lean to the left and kept falling over ... it’s top heavy... am I doing something wrong or is that normal ?
    That's exactly what I found out, when trying it out, so I went backt to strapping around the head,

But I hate the bootlace up there, so I've made some 1 mm Dyneema string loops, with a button on it. That way you can attach any strap with a slit, without using a lace.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Happened to me too, but a bit of picking-wrist pressure keeps everything in, uhm, harmony. And probably a good reason to partonize Cafe member Doug Edwards for his excellent armrests:
    https://hillcountrystringworks.com/armrest5.html
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

nice... My F model is a Michael Kelly and it came with an arm rest... I'll try s few more times and see what I like best... seems like a few others use the peg head method even with an F style as well....

Quote Originally Posted by maxamy View Post
    David Grisman uses a modified Saxophone neck strap and that attaches around the scroll only. This seems to eliminated the head drop tendency of some mandolins. Check out some of his photos to see what I mean.
    Allan Midgley

Resident Hack

I currently go around the scroll and over one shoulder only. Peghead hangs down on some songs that start with handclaps (ex: Thank God I'm A Country Boy) but I always manage to grab it back up in time to play.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by tassiespirit View Post
    David Grisman uses a modified Saxophone neck strap and that attaches around the scroll only. This seems to eliminated the head drop tendency of some mandolins. Check out some of his photos to see what I mean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-1220865049-2048x2048.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	191403
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-1220865049-2048x2048.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	191403
    No matter how you attach to the scroll, it will not change the headdrop tendency, as that is a matter of physics.

If you suspend something behind it's point of equilibrium the head will drop.

The only thing you can do is attach before that point either by:

1. Attaching to the head

2. Attaching around the neck at the 10. or 11. fret, just behind it, with a thin 1 mm string of dyneema, which I have done with success on a much heavier guitar.

3. Attaching at the scroll and install a thin line from the strap to the head, to compensate for the small downward force on the head, which I have done with success on a much heavier guitar

OR put some weight on the strapbutton or the strap at the back of the mandolin.

But all in all, I find it easier to change grip when the head is stabilized by a strap on the head. You can move your hand and fingers, without the need to hold the neck steady with your left hand.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

There’s no one “correct” way to do it. You will eventually get used to whatever method you choose. I’m too chicken to try it, but Evan Marshall loops his strap around the small scroll on the peg head, and it’s sure not hurting his playing any!
    Chuck

I agree with the "what ever works for you, on my F I use the scroll but my As have strap buttons installed, cause that's how I like them.

I once had a teacher who used to say " That's NOT the most stupid question I've ever heard...but it's close!"